Re: HP Proboo 4540S freezes when attaching monitor to docking station (307 Views)
Frequent Visitor
marty_20
Message 1 of 8 (388 Views)

HP Probook crashes

Hi Guys,

I just got my HP Probook (HP 4540S CI5-3340M 2.6/8/500/DR/1G/15.6/W7P-W8P NB), which replaced my HP Probook 4310s. when i plug it into the dock i can use the keyboard and mouse. when i try to use my monitor it crashes my laptop.

i can drive the monitor by itself but when it is in the dock the laptop crashes.

can someone help me with this? i am not sure where to look next.

thanks

marty1313

HP Pro
ironcoog
Message 2 of 8 (372 Views)

Re: HP Probook crashes

Could you be more specific when you say that "it crashes my laptop?" Is there an error message, do you lose display, does it restart itself, what exactly happens?
I work on behalf of HP
Frequent Visitor
marty_20
Message 3 of 8 (359 Views)

Hi ironcoog,

i plug laptop into the dock.

i turn on laptop and it starts to boot.

the screens are mirrored up to the sign in screen.

i sign in.

the welcome screen comes up on both laptop and monitor.

the laptop contiues to boot the monitor screen frezes.

if i try to change the laptop disply setting (with special funtion keys) the laptop blue screens.

if i continue to work, the laptop works but the monitor is frozen on the welcome screen.

when i first pluged the laptop into the dock it found the hardware and said it loaded the drivers.

i put the dock disk in and it said the drivers were already loaded.

the old HP Pro laptop worked from day 1.

i was able to split screens and check e-mail on the monitor and another program on the laptop.

all from day 1.

the monitor freze has no error code the laptop blue screen has a big long code that i didn't write down and really don't want to force a blue screen to see it. (should i ??)

thanks

marty.

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 4 of 8 (355 Views)

Is the dock a standard dock or a usb dock?

Have you updated the BIOS to rev F.43, dated Oct 2013?

Please, download and run SDM (www.hp.com/go/sdm) and update BIOS alone (needs to be installed separate from all other updates) and then update the h/w drivers it suggests need updated. make sure you also update, or install, the Microsoft Essentials softpaq for Windows

Let us know if the update works

I work for HP
Frequent Visitor
marty_20
Message 5 of 8 (327 Views)

Hi Soccer_dan,

Ok , when i click on the link in your post, It says "page not found". when i do a search for SDM, it shows me something about storage space. :

"HP StorageWorks Command View SDM Software - HP StorageWorks CommandView SDM - Will CommandViewSDM"

there are other titles similar to this one, but i am not sure which way to go. was SDM a BIOS upgrade or something to do with storage??

need some direction.

thanks.

marty1313

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 8 (319 Views)

Re: HP Proboo 4540S freezes when attaching monitor to docking station

[ Edited ]

>when I click on the link in your post, It says "page not found".

The hyperlink is broken, extra ")" on the end.  (That's why I put them on a separate line.)

soccer_dan can fix it by using Post Options > Edit Reply.

http://www.hp.com/go/sdm

Frequent Visitor
marty_20
Message 7 of 8 (307 Views)

Re: HP Proboo 4540S freezes when attaching monitor to docking station

Wow, now that you point it out, i can see the ")" in the link. thanks.

i will have to wait till i get back in the office. off today, on the road Tue, i think that will be Wed Afternoon. 

thanks.

marty1313

Frequent Visitor
marty_20
Message 8 of 8 (294 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4540S freezes when attaching monitor to docking station

Hi Guys,

worked on this problem all afternoon. If I remember right:

checked the bios update. My bios was up to date. Installed anyway.

* did not help 

downloaded the AMD graphics drivers. Installed them.

* did not help

looked at device mgr. No error massages. 

*did not help

tried to use the advance settings for graphics.

Most of the settings suggest that the monitor is not seen by the laptop. When I click on it to find another monitor it says: none found.

Removed the monitor from dock( dock is USB connected) connect to laptop.

*laptop crashes.

Remove the dock from laptop and leave the monitor connected. Laptop works fine. (only monitor shows screen same size as laptop and unable to stretch screen)

loaded the disk for dock in laptop and it says already installed.

The laptop has an AMD Radion graphic card but keeps looking at an Intel graphic chip. 

As of right now I will have to say nothing has changed and I still think it's the dock with the problem.

I will be on the road till Feb.. So I will not be using the dock until I return to the office.

Thanks

marty1313

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.