HP Probook 640 G1 Radeon HD 8750M Win 7 Pro, x64 Driver Failure (603 Views)
Occasional Advisor
HPPhotodoc
Message 1 of 4 (603 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Probook 640 G1 Radeon HD 8750M Win 7 Pro, x64 Driver Failure

(x-posted from Consumer Forums...)

I am having similar, frustrating issues with a brand-new HP ProBook 640 G1 running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

(see here for original post RE: HP ProBook 650:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-Probook-650-G1-Radeon-HD-8750M-Intel-HD-... )

I did a clean system install, and have been installing the latest drivers from the HP site for this laptop.  When I install the AMD Radeon 8750M drivers from the HP site (I have tried both the ones from 02.17.2014 and 09.23.2013.), the installation says it was successful, but when I reboot the computer, the Catalyst Control Center notification icon disappears after about 10 seconds, and when I attempt to access CCC by right-clicking on the desktop, I get the same error as the original post above.) 

I then did another clean-install, and tried to install the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 software you suggested, BEFORE attempting to reinstall the 09.23.2013 AMD Radeon driver from the HP site.  Still no luck.  (And, incidentally, the 02.17.2014 installation package seems totally screwed up, as it installed the .Net packages in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, I believe, on my computer...)  I did not even attempt to install the Intel Video driver, because I wanted to see if the AMD driver would install correctly (with CCC) on its own.  No luck.  Same error:  "AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be Started.  There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Center."

I have wasted my weekend on this already.  Oh, and my brand new-battery won't charge beyond 64%, even after charging overnight, and again all afternoon today.  This is my 4th HP or Compaq laptop in 8 years, and this has been by far the worst experience I have had to date with an HP machine.  Most unfortunate.

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 2 of 4 (578 Views)

Re: HP Probook 640 G1 Radeon HD 8750M Win 7 Pro, x64 Driver Failure

It is hard to tell exactly what is going on with your laptop, but i should mention there are many corporate customers with this model without any issues. I would reinstall Windows 7 x64, install the nic or wireless drivers to connect to the Internet and then install and run the HP Softpaq Download Manager (www.hp.com/go/sdm). It will provide a list of drivers and/or BIOS (needs to be installed separately) and will allow you to do all drivers at once with a single click. Let us know if that works for you

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
HPPhotodoc
Message 3 of 4 (573 Views)

Hi soccer_dan,

While it does seem that other people have done OK with their ProBook 640 and 650s, I wonder how many have re-installed Windows 7 Pro, and how many of those people have the models with the Radeon 8750M GPU...

The softpaq download manager will simply download the same softpaqs that are available on the HP support website, no?  If that's the case, then it won't matter.  As for re-installing Windows 7 Pro, x64, I've already done that.  3 times in fact.  No joy .

At present, someone from HP next-business day on-site support is here to replace my motherboard, since my battery won't charge at all.  (I've replaced the battery with a new one from HP, tried 4 different AC adapters, and tried charging the battery with the computer in a docking station.  No luck with any of those options.)

So, I'm hoping I simply had a one-off, bad unit.  We'll see...  But clearly, there are others (see original post from the ProBook 650 user who had the same issue as my ProBook 640) who are having problems with the HP customized AMD Radeon 8750M driver packages.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Occasional Advisor
HPPhotodoc
Message 4 of 4 (565 Views)

Well, isn't this interesting...

So, HP tech came out today to replace the motherboard due to battery charging failure.  The new motherboard does indeed charge the battery.  Also, the new motherboard came with a new video card.  On a lark, I uninstalled the generic AMD drivers and tried re-installing the HP version from the HP support website.  Lo and behold, it worked this time, without any AMD Catalyst Control Center errors!

So, it looks like the bum motherboard was reponsible for both the battery charging issue and my AMD Radeon 8750M driver woes.  Glad I got the on-site, next business day service contract!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.