HP Probook 4330s fan always on (4428 Views)
Occasional Visitor
xjasparx
Message 1 of 5 (4,428 Views)

HP Probook 4330s fan always on

Hello,

I've bought two laptops HP Probook 4330s. They both have the same problem: the system fan is always on, not at full speed but still at a speed that is sufficient to make a lot of noise. This level of noise is unacceptable for a business laptop, when it does nothing but laying on an office table.

The system fan is always on (except a few seconds at start-up):

• independently of the CPU usage (always on even when the CPU usage is just 0-2%)
  • independently of Windows 7 setting "system cooling policy" (power options --> change plan setting --> advanced power setting --> processor power management)
  • independently of being on battery or on AC power
  • independently of bios setting "fan always on while on AC Power"
  • independently of bios version (latest version is F0A)

Other info:

• Windows 7 64 bits, SP1, (french and english version)
  • Windows uptodate
  • All drivers from HP uptodate

What can I do? Any ideas?

I'm starting to think that HP has simply configured the cooling settings too aggressively.

I really think getting a refund, as it is unacceptable.

Thank you!

Occasional Visitor
xjasparx
Message 2 of 5 (4,299 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4330s fan always on

Not even a single idea?

Please...

Occasional Visitor
acsjani
Message 3 of 5 (4,248 Views)

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem.

The only difference is I am experiencing it in linux not windows.

Linux can not access the fan control and could not read fan speed either.

Although, the fan speed raises under heavy load, but never silence itself entirely which is weird when it is pupming out cool air. :)

If I had fan control available I could control the situation, but I dont know what kind of kernel module should I use.

thanks

Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 4 of 5 (4,227 Views)

[ Edited ]

4530s, same issue.  I  wonder if the BIOS update had this effect?  I've tried everthing you did.

Looks like you found this:  http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-HP-Probook-4330s-fan-control

BTW, Martin fixed the memory display issues in the beta version.  Memory modules would not display.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Visitor
Martin_249
Message 5 of 5 (3,829 Views)

I am reporting same problem on 4530s and Windows 7 Home Premium. It would be nice to know if this behavior can be fixed or it is defect.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.