Re: HP ProBook 4720s - Keyboard problem (4622 Views)
Advisor
bsvTag
Message 26 of 57 (7,850 Views)

Re: HP ProBook 4720s - Keyboard problem

Thanks! Please post if replacing motherboard helps to fix the problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bsvTag
Message 27 of 57 (7,734 Views)

tema_dsr wrote:

Hello,

I'm French and I followed your discussion carefully.
I bought two portable probook 4720s which both have the same problem.
Following a fourth call to HP support SAV, they must change my motherboard.
I'll keep you posted to let you know if this has solved the problem.

Cordially.

Hi,

Any news?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tema_dsr
Message 28 of 57 (7,712 Views)

Hi,

No news for the moment.

SAV told me it could take at least 10 days.

I'll let you know upon receipt and testing.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
worktop99
Message 29 of 57 (7,407 Views)

Interested in this - I took mine back after 48 hours of keyboard problems with MS office (Word) - I had removed all software before attempting to return so they tested with notepad in the shop and could find no problem so did not refund/replace.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bsvTag
Message 31 of 57 (7,284 Views)

Hi, It doesn't depend on software, I think. Most of issues, described here is hardware related. I'm waiting another persons posts about the result of motherboard replacement. I wonder if it helps to solve the problem
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
wes_notebooks
Message 32 of 57 (7,425 Views)

IhorKo,
HP is aware of this matter and does take customer reported issues seriously.  The ongoing analysis to determine the cause remains a high priority.  

This post will be updated when the resolution is available.  If appropriate or necessary, you might consider using an external keyboard until the resolution is available.

-wes

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 30 of 57 (7,619 Views)

ProBook 4720s Keyboard problem

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

i've got a ProBook 4720s (17", i3 M350, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd) and i'm issuing this keyboard problem: from time to time (usually when i need to type a lot ;)) it loses keypresses. This not depends on typing speed - i've made some experiments. Warranty dealer reaction is like: bring it to us - we'll replace the keyboard, but people say in forums they replaced and it still appears. I know it's hard to cure this kind of bugs, but hope you can have any additional ideas except BIOS update (already updated) and experimenting with BIOS settings (already experimented with disabling everything, VM suppport and HT support) - the bug returns. Unfortunately there is no regularity or any appear rule noticed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mimicus
Message 33 of 57 (7,338 Views)

Re: ProBook 4720s Keyboard problem

Hello all, I am from Romania.I had the same problem like you. My notebook hp probook 4520s had the same problem, with the keyboard.First at the service they change my keyboard but the problem still persisted.After that they change my motherboard and after several test made by me I've considered that the problem was resolved.I think that this is the solution for yours problems.

Good luck!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 34 of 57 (7,335 Views)

Thank you Mimicus. That's very important information for all of us!

Soon will ask my hp support to change the motherboard too.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Curt23
Message 35 of 57 (6,921 Views)

I'm having same problem since a few weeks, i reinstalled windows but problem still here, did someone get  an update or solution from hp?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 36 of 57 (6,878 Views)

nothing yet :(

Didn't you have these problems before you reinstalled Windows? What Windows you had, and what is new one? Could you try to install all hp native drivers from their suppert website and write back if this helps?

I'l like to ask - what OS uses everyone who has these issues?

I'm using Ubuntu Lucid + Windows XP SP2 via VirtualBox, and i noticed, that problem occurs much faster if VirtualBox+WindowsXP is working. I switched off VM support in BIOS and VBox both, but this not helps.

Maybe memory?

A question to HP: is that normal to have this memory by default:

Hynix 2Rx8 PC3-10500S-9-10-F2 HMT125S6TFR8C-H9 NO AA-C

I'll try to replace memory and will write back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bsvTag
Message 37 of 57 (6,684 Views)

Hi, I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (latest) with BIOS F0C version. Seems, that this problem appears together with fan regulator. Fan sticks on the same sped for a long time, and together with high cpu load or heavy keyboard usage(typing text, coding) produces keyboard hanging. Please keep this topic updated. It's very important. More people will see this, most probably HP will handle this. Thanks, Sergei
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 38 of 57 (6,678 Views)

FYI: lucid isn't latest - there is new Maverick.

I gave it a try to chat with HP support referring to this new document: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02717210&lang=en&cc=us&prodS...

Unfortunately this didn't give any result - support man asked all details then said it should be passed to (some) level 3 and gave me link where i can find local support. While local support knows nothing about the problem and want's me to bring it to them for time they will be able to diag it...i guess this is usual procedure...and this is dead circle since this is something that is really hard to diag because of no real regularity.

I hope while we keep writing here HP knows: the problem still appears.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 39 of 57 (6,617 Views)

Hi,

I just got from HP support some new beta version of BIOS that has been developed specially to resolve that keyboard problem.

I'm going to update BIOS today and will post results here.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 40 of 57 (6,615 Views)

Hey!

Good news! Waiting impatiently...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 41 of 57 (6,734 Views)

Hi guys,

After installed new BIOS, laptop keyboard works perfect! It's already about 1 day of work and no problems, before it was few hours. Everything else works fine too. So, currently I'm very satisfied with that beta BIOS.

If someone wants to test it too, below is the link to download that BIOS:

http://uk.backticket.com.ua/keyb/Keyboard_Skipping_workaround_specail_package.zip

http://uk.backticket.com.ua/keyb/readme.doc

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 42 of 57 (6,729 Views)

Thank you, IhorKo.

Installed this too. Will test and write if something.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 43 of 57 (6,702 Views)

**bleep**, it happed again for me :( . It's definitely rarer than before (before it was after 2-3 hours, now after 6 hours of work)  but anyway problem isn't fixed, I'm disappointed :(

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 44 of 57 (6,700 Views)

Nothing yet since yesterday. Leaving virtualbox to work all the time and didn't reboot. Standby is working perfect...not sure is this bios or last ubuntu updates - there were problems with standby stability.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Contrasso
Message 45 of 57 (6,647 Views)

Uhhhgr....got it too after 4 days of testing. Had no reboots, suspend only. Much better...hopefully HP will improve it more and fix perfectly

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 46 of 57 (6,645 Views)

Yes, same with my notebook, it reproduces after few days without reboot. It's so better than before :)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IhorKo
Message 47 of 57 (6,294 Views)

Hi All,

If someone read this topic and still has the problem with keyboard, please download last BIOS version from official HP site, HP support already fixed that problem.

Try this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4145205...

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ckh999
Message 48 of 57 (4,622 Views)

I have the same problem with a Probook 4520s

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
richardblr
Message 49 of 57 (4,571 Views)

I have a Probook 6460b and I have the same problem.  facing it for 8 months now.

Sometime ago i called HP and they made me install some drivers.  After few days, the problem started recurring.

When you reboot the machine it works fine, and after some hours or days, the problem is back.  So right now, i just reboot and thats really annoying.

This is surely a problem with the firmware or drivers.  It is not easy to reproduce, some state (or combination of) is causing this issue, it surely happens, but we cannot identify the exact steps to reproduce. 

Since it is not straight foward to reproduce, it is upto HP to figure out and address this problem, else people who face issues will just tell others (which is what i would) about the issue and they will buy some other brand.

After going through the posts, I still dont see if there is a clear enough solution.

HP?   What do i do. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
richardblr
Message 50 of 57 (4,570 Views)

I would really appreciate a quick reply from HP on this.

This is frustrating a lot of users even within my company

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation