HP ProBook 4540s battery problmes (570 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Zeljko
Message 1 of 9 (570 Views)

HP ProBook 4540s battery problmes

Hello all,

i have problems with HP ProBook 4540s; when i just insert battery charging LED above power connector flashes WHITE. When that happens i cannot turn on notebook.

But when i first connect DC adapter, and then battery it is possible to turn on notebook. BUT when i cut off power to it it shuts down - as dead. Like battery if not there or it not charged at all.

I tried with old and brand new battery its exactly same. On old battery on windows tray it says plugged in - not charging but its about 43%. On new one same but it says its 98% charged.

HP Battery check on old says its bad and it needs to be replaced with 175 of 300 cycles.

HP Battery check on NEW says its OK, and 1 of 300 cycles.

Remember, on both if i plug off DC adapter - notebook goes dead and battery/charge LED flashes WHITE, after that its impossible to turn it back on, unless i plug off both abattery and DC adapter, and plugg them in on order: DC->BATT->power ON.

Now,... to be even more intresting i changed motherboard also, HP smart adapter 90W too, with brand new - have SAME issue.

Its really annoying, so im asking did anyone else had same or simmilar problem to share resolution maybe?

unit, is in warranty for short time by POP only, so i hope i will find fix before its OOW.

Many thnx in advance :)

Honored Contributor
Toffy
Message 2 of 9 (553 Views)

Re: HP ProBook 4540s battery problmes

[ Edited ]

Zeliko

Please check the Battery and test it, calibrat it

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/troubleshootDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5...

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5229455&spf...

Battery tool

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Occasional Advisor
Zeljko
Message 3 of 9 (540 Views)

Dear Toffy,

i did all of that as first solution.

You see that battery test says OK for new one with cycle count 1 of 300 (brand new).

Battery tests are ok, but when i unplug DC it shut down notebook.

Thnx :)

Honored Contributor
Toffy
Message 4 of 9 (535 Views)

Zelijko

Please change your Windows Power Plan settings to highest performance reboot

an test it

Check your Bios settings or reset it

Please post your windows version

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Occasional Advisor
Zeljko
Message 5 of 9 (533 Views)

dear all,

i updated bios when i motherboard is replaced. Thing is that i tried same thing with freee DOS, Even Ubuntu booted from DVD. Its same issue.

battery seems OK, but when i disconnect DC adapter it shuts down laptop. It is hardware issue, im sure of it, so im seeking is anyone had similar issue and solve it?

BIOS is updated with latest.

and yeah currently on harddrive is Windows Proffesional 64bit

thanks in advance.

Occasional Visitor
prtrenholme
Message 6 of 9 (194 Views)

Same problem with my Probook 4540S. HP sent new batery but problem remains. I've been switching batteries in a friends 4540s which does not have the problem. I mostly use the laptop with AC adaptor plugged in so battery not  a major problem. Bios jjust updated with no effect on "not charging " problem. Very discouraged and surprised that HP seems to have no solution for this problem.

Occasional Visitor
jrod131
Message 7 of 9 (129 Views)

I am having the same issue... I wonder if HP will be resolving this one soon? Tested multiple known good chargers with no luck. Light is still flashing I cannot get the machine to boot at all. Whether I connect the charger first, then insert the battery, or vice versa. 

Zeljko wrote:

Hello all,

i have problems with HP ProBook 4540s; when i just insert battery charging LED above power connector flashes WHITE. When that happens i cannot turn on notebook.

But when i first connect DC adapter, and then battery it is possible to turn on notebook. BUT when i cut off power to it it shuts down - as dead. Like battery if not there or it not charged at all.

I tried with old and brand new battery its exactly same. On old battery on windows tray it says plugged in - not charging but its about 43%. On new one same but it says its 98% charged.

HP Battery check on old says its bad and it needs to be replaced with 175 of 300 cycles.

HP Battery check on NEW says its OK, and 1 of 300 cycles.

Remember, on both if i plug off DC adapter - notebook goes dead and battery/charge LED flashes WHITE, after that its impossible to turn it back on, unless i plug off both abattery and DC adapter, and plugg them in on order: DC->BATT->power ON.

Now,... to be even more intresting i changed motherboard also, HP smart adapter 90W too, with brand new - have SAME issue.

Its really annoying, so im asking did anyone else had same or simmilar problem to share resolution maybe?

unit, is in warranty for short time by POP only, so i hope i will find fix before its OOW.

Many thnx in advance :)

Occasional Advisor
Zeljko
Message 8 of 9 (125 Views)

Hello,

yes i solve problem by replacing connector which goes from battery to motherboard. In worst case check those cables, seems that theyre sometimes cold connected.

Wish you luck :)

Occasional Visitor
jrod131
Message 9 of 9 (118 Views)

Awesome hopefully that fixes my problem as well. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.