HP NC8230 BIOS Update (822 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Taylor Jasko
Message 1 of 8 (822 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP NC8230 BIOS Update

I want to upgrade my NC8230's BIOS. But I do not have a USB Floppy drive to do the update. But I do have a built in floppy drive in one of my desktops. I have made a bootable floppy disk with my desktop computer. My question is, could I burn the files (on the floppy disk) onto a CD ROM to boot off of?
Would this work? :)
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (822 Views)

Re: HP NC8230 BIOS Update

Yes but not quite the way you think. If you have Nero or Roxio or a similar CD burning program you can choose as the project type bootable CD and you use floppy emulation. You point the program to the floppy disk and it makes a bootable CD where the computer thinks it is booting from a floppy. BUT this is not going to work for installing SATA drivers because by the time you get to the F6 prompt the system has booted off the XP CD and you are not going to be able to swap in the other CD. You really need to make the slipstream XP CD with the SATA driver folded into it.

Here are some good instructions and if you poke around this forum there are some other methods that have been discussed here, too:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation?page=0%2C1

"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 3 of 8 (822 Views)

Whoa! I got sidetracked and answered a question you did not ask. Yes, the bootable floppy emulating CD works for the BIOS update according to a few success reports we have had here. However, I think it raises the risk a bit on an already risky procedure. Isn't $30 for a usb floppy worth it?
Occasional Visitor
Taylor Jasko
Message 4 of 8 (822 Views)

Cool....
Yes, there is an risk. But there is always a risk of updating your BIOS.
I'll try it.
Occasional Visitor
Taylor Jasko
Message 5 of 8 (822 Views)

When you said, " Yes but not quite the way you think. If you have Nero or Roxio or a similar CD burning program you can choose as the project type bootable CD and you use floppy emulation. You point the program to the floppy disk and it makes a bootable CD where the computer thinks it is booting from a floppy. BUT this is not going to work for installing SATA drivers because by the time you get to the F6 prompt the system has booted off the XP CD and you are not going to be able to swap in the other CD. You really need to make the slipstream XP CD with the SATA driver folded into it.

Here are some good instructions and if you poke around this forum there are some other methods that have been discussed here, too:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation?page=0%2C1"

=====================================
You lost me. Why would I need to make a slipstream xp CD? I would just have to emulate the floppy onto a CD. That'll work. Then I would just boot into it from the BIOS. What about the SATA drivers. I know that drive is for a hard drive, but I don't know much.
Would it work if I just booted from that CD I made, and flash the BIOS?
Occasional Visitor
Taylor Jasko
Message 6 of 8 (822 Views)

Do you need to update your BIOS while installing Windows XP? I actually have Vista on this......
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 7 of 8 (822 Views)

Like I said I started writing your response, got sidetracked and came back and answered a different question. I do keep up a pretty good volume here while also holding down a real job. Yes, forget the stuff about SATA...it is uttely irrelevant to you but you do need to make the HP bootable BIOS update floppy and use that as the image for making the floppy emulating CD. Here is a set of instructions with screen shots. This shows a rather old version of Nero but it still works essentially the same way in newer versions and in other similar burning programs. This will give you an idea what I am talking about:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd.htm

Occasional Visitor
Taylor Jasko
Message 8 of 8 (822 Views)

Thanks, that was what I wanted. Yeah, I was wondering about the sata thing. :D

I'll do it right now.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.