Re: HP Elitepad 900 PXE boot problem (3303 Views)
Occasional Contributor
NilsTammann
Message 1 of 7 (4,864 Views)

HP Elitepad 900 PXE boot problem

Recently we purchased several HP Elitepad 900 tablets. Now we want to install our corporate image from WDS through PXE boot on those tablets. We have a Windows Server 2008 environment with WDS and MDT 2012 (6.0.2223.0). When i try to network boot (F12) in a docking station the system says "START PXE over IPv4, press ESC to exit" and then "network not found". So i can't PXE boot. I have read several posts and articles about elitepad 900 and pxe boot and the main suggestions have been that you should have MDT 2012 update 1, WinPE 4.0 and Server 2012. Do i really need those prerequisites or is there a another way of how to get elitepad 900 and pxe boot working together ?

HP Pro
HP Pro
dpa
Message 2 of 7 (4,837 Views)

Re: HP Elitepad 900 PXE boot problem

Hi,

The Elitepad can only PXE boot from EFI, so you PXE boot server must be EFI aware, unfortunately server 2008 R2 is NOT.  You'll need to install windows server 2012, add WDS, then you'll see in the WDS properties you'll be able to specify what boot.wim files to use for x86, x64, AND x64EFI X86 EFI.

Also note that the elitepad can only boot from X86 bootable images, pxe or USB disks.

I hope this helps.

I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.

Daniel
HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 3 of 7 (4,831 Views)

Eexactly. Microsoft added UEFI x86 PXE support to WDS under Windows Server 2012, and that is a requirement. You also need to make sure that, although you are using MDT 2012 (yeaayyy), you also use Microsoft ADK (which is WinPE 4.0 based), instead of the WAIK tools (based on WinPE 3.1)

HP produced a quick document that shows how to properly reimage an ElitePad 900 G1 and is posted on the web at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSer...

Please, follow up if you have additional questions

I work for HP
Occasional Visitor
ReelFaster
Message 4 of 7 (3,311 Views)

I am having this same issue however before I get into details thanks for starting me on the right track with troubleshooting this. EFI is new to me, I've used WDS and Sysprep for everthing in the past. I have deployed a 2012 Server and using the Elitpad with Windows 8.1. I know nothing of MDT and have just installed in and started trying to teach myself. However please tell me there is an easier way to capture and deploy these tablets? My tablet will attempt PXE and I do get a quick message tellign me station IP address, however it then goes right to "Network Not Found". What does MDT and WDS have to do with each other? 

I followed the HP article on this but that was little to know use as their instructions assume to much and leave so much detail out. Am I creating the image in MDT and moving it to WDS. All I want to do is get this tablet to pxe boot. Basically they are a bunch of paper weights if cannot image them with our software. Any help or info would be greatly apprecaited! 

Occasional Visitor
ReelFaster
Message 5 of 7 (3,303 Views)

Well that quick I made some progress. Nobody mentioned on any site you need to change your bootfile to boot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi. Also I found you need to be on the same VLAN for this to work. This will not work on my network unless I am on the same VLAN. Interesting...
Occasional Visitor
JePe
Message 6 of 7 (2,009 Views)

Hi ReelFaster,

Did you finally resolve the mystery of booting from PXE and capturing images for the Elitepad 900? We are buying 100 of this devices and need to deploy the OS with SCCM or WDS. I'm looking for info about it with poor results. I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 7 of 7 (1,998 Views)

To make sure we are all on the same level field: THe HP ElitePad 900 G1 has a 32bit/x86 processor (dual-core w/hyper-threading) and only supports Windows 8 or 8.1 with UEFI. THere is no BIOS compatability mode (like most other Windows 8 tablets). Microsoft added UEFI x86/32bit support to WDS with Windows Server 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh974416.aspx

MDT 2013 and Windows ADK with WinPE 5.0 support imaging the HP ElitePad 900 G1 with its scripting technology. In order to integrate MDT imaging with Windows WDS for PXE support, you can create WinPE in MDT (make sure it is x86, not x64) and import that WinPE wim file into WDS so that when the ELitePad asks for a PXE load, WDS provides the correct MDT version of WinPE. Of course, WDS has to be configured to provide this version of WinPE when a UEFI/x86 client asks for pxe boot

Hope this helps

I work for HP
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.