HP Elitebook 8760w fan noise when using 2 displays (1164 Views)
Visitor
mkb57288
Message 1 of 9 (1,164 Views)

HP Elitebook 8760w fan noise when using 2 displays

I use a HP Elitebook 8760w (2820qm with Quadro 3000M). The machine is usually quite in idle, yet whenever it is connected to an external display (directly or via docking stations), the fan turns always on, quite noisy and distracting. BIOS updates would not solve the issue. And many people have the same experience. (below is a link to the post)

Is anybody here having the same problem. Can anyone suggest some solutions? Many Thanks!

(I wonder if this is a bug with the video card and its bios, but cannot find vbios update from HP. )

the post

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/HP-Elitebook-8760w-fan-noise-when-using...

HP Pro
TheCreeg
Message 2 of 9 (1,142 Views)

Re: HP Elitebook 8760w fan noise when using 2 displays

Hi MKB,

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem 100%, but it may help to regulate that fan and other components in your system. Hp offers the Performance Advisor to help optimize the system. This program may help to regulate that fan.

I work for HP

I work for HP.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Visitor
mkb57288
Message 3 of 9 (1,127 Views)

Hi The Creeg,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually installed "performance advisor" before, but could not find a way to adjust for fan speed. I can see the GPU tempature though. It's around 55; and at the same time CPU temperature is around 45. Neither is high. So I guess it is a software problem. If "performance advisor" can fix this, can you please give some more information? Thanks!

Best

Kebin

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 4 of 9 (1,124 Views)

Fan speeds in the laptop are managed by the bios based on heat sensors information around the motherboard. I would suggest you update all drivers and BIOS (hint: use SDM www.hp.com/go/sdm). then with the latest bios in place, do a restore to defaults

I work for HP
Visitor
mkb57288
Message 5 of 9 (1,119 Views)

Hi soccer_dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated bios to F.40. But no luck.

I read in some other thread that someone's fan problem (not the problem caused by a 2nd monitor though) is solved after updating to F.21. But I assume the fix-ups in F.21 are all included in F.40, and did not try to downgrade the lower version. 

Best

Kebin

Occasional Visitor
gbrunel
Message 6 of 9 (962 Views)

hello i' have the same problem , do you solved yours because the one thing i find is to unplug the second screen ?

Occasional Visitor
PetrB
Message 7 of 9 (806 Views)

Hello, sorry for my very bad english.

Maybe this will help you, or correct me if I am doing something wrong.

It is not clever but if you dont need the full power of gpu....

and use 2nd display, no matter if vga or diplayport, just set values of memory and gpu about 10-20% less in nvidia device setting. Save in profile. Restart your system.  The temperature will decrease about 10 °C.

I am working in Ps, Cdr (average size of work files) and about 30 chrome opened windows, and playing in one window a hd video on youtube at the same time and the temperature of gpu is on 52°C instead of 63°C. No lags, no different behavior of system. The fan is silent.

P.

Occasional Visitor
nikoue
Message 8 of 9 (626 Views)

Can  you explain how to set values of memory and gpu about 10-20% less in nvidia device?

Advisor
ibanez2101
Message 9 of 9 (603 Views)

Hello,

This issue is corrected with system BIOS version F.21, so any newer BIOS revision should correct this issue. Besides BIOS update, have you maybe checked your units heatsink and cooling system, maybe there is a thin layer of dust present that generates some extra heat and fan have to spin faster generating noise.

regards,

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.