HP Elitebook 8530p touchpad(tap) problem! (3216 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Aleksandar Jakovljevic
Message 1 of 10 (3,216 Views)

HP Elitebook 8530p touchpad(tap) problem!

When I downgrade Windows Vista to Windows XP professional on notebook HP Elitebook 8530p, the problem is appear with touchpad on notebook!
When I wont to logon into system, the tap options is make problem when I press tap on touchpad!The problem is because I must tap more then one time, which is unexpectly, because that must work with one tap!
This problem I have with more tree same models notebook with same product number!
I try to reinstall Synaptics touchpad drivers,and I also install the latest version of drivers, but nothing will change with my problems!Also I try to change settings in Synaptics drivers settings for touchpad, generally for tap options and still nothing!
Thanks in advance!
Occasional Visitor
mliebend
Message 2 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Re: HP Elitebook 8530p touchpad(tap) problem!

AJ, you're not alone with this problem. My EliteBook 8530p exhibits the same problems. Namely, at logon, the mouse moves around, but all clicking is ineffectual (doesn't work). In fact, because I don't have the fingerprint ID set up yet and can't log in that way, the only way I can actually "click" my user ID on the login screen -- no, there's no tab stop for this either -- is to put my system in "Suspend" mode, and then bring it out. Somehow, that get's my mouse driver and Vista in sync so that I can click on my user ID and log in. Further, when I'm in Vista, using any one of a number of different applications, the "virtual scrolling" doesn't work. Neither does the "tap and drag" kind of functionality, which actually really limits dynamic drag-and-drop utility, as well as window resizing and other stuff. And please don't lead with "you need to update your Synaptics Touchpad settings to support virtual scrolling, etc." I've done all that, in triplicate. It's a big pain and I'm going to send this otherwise really nice machine back if somebody doesn't come forward and help me with this defect. (Yes, I, too, have completely uninstalled the HP-provided Synaptics drivers, rebooted, reinstalled the stuff directly from HP, rinse, and repeat.) Would someone please help us with this crippled touchpad/driver combination, please?
Occasional Advisor
Mark Stiles
Message 3 of 10 (3,216 Views)

I have recently installed Windows 7 and I started having exactly the same problem. The cursor seems to lose focus, it can move around but doesn't raise any click events to the operating system.

I then downgraded to XP, installed the latest Synaptics Touchpad drivers which rendered the touchpad inoperable!!

So I uninstalled them, now with just standard windows drivers the cursor moves, but now I still have the problem where occasionally the cursor doesn't respond to either tapping the touchpad or pressing the left button.

Although one very interesting thing it occurs even with a USB mouse installed! Although I have noticed alt-tabbing or bringing up the start menu with the windows key does allow the cursor to click again - its incredibly frustrating.

I don't think this is a touchpad problem - it seems like a general hardware/IO messaging problem - the operating system ignores the click events completely - regardless of the input device.
Occasional Advisor
Mark Stiles
Message 4 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Oh by the way that was on an Elitebook 6930p.
Occasional Visitor
David Hibbert
Message 5 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Me too. This time on a tablet PC (EliteBook 2730p)

My workaround for the login problem (my fingerprint scanner has stopped working) is to Ctrl Alt Delete twice and a login popup appears with the Password in focus.

When I attach a usb mouse the clicking seems to work, while the touchpad still will not respond. The pen nearly works, but a tap or double tap brings up the right click menu, it does not open the application.
Occasional Advisor
Mark Stiles
Message 6 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Had a non-HP engineer look at my laptop and turned out to be a faulty touchpad, have had it replaced and all is fine now!
Occasional Visitor
Myriam Santos
Message 7 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Hello, I having the same problem that Mark Stiles. Sometimes, suddenly, mouse clicking stop respondig but the cursor still moving if you move mouse. It is like the mouse left switch fails but i had change new several mouses (HP and Genius). I realize that if I click with a touchpad button when this problem appear, I solve the clicking mouse problem temporarly. Weird. I have many elitebook 6930p in my company but just one has this problem. I using it with a docking station (mouse, keyboard and monitor attached).
Any help? maybe a fail touchpad?
Occasional Advisor
Mark Stiles
Message 8 of 10 (3,216 Views)

Probably the touchpad has failed, try getting it replaced. It fixed the problem with my laptop.
Occasional Visitor
Miguel_BR
Message 9 of 10 (3,181 Views)

My boss have an EliteBook 2730p and the touchpad had replaced on Dic, 15 2009. but it is failing again. he use a lot the laptop, the problem begun one month ago, but he want that I resolve the problem now. I will call to technical support so they replace again the tochpad.
Occasional Visitor
JDrafter
Message 10 of 10 (464 Views)

Just baught a Referbished Elitebook 6930p using Windows 7 Professional.  Is there any way to deactivate the tap feature of the touchpad?  Can't find any mention of the touchpad on the taskbar, Device Manager, or Mouse (Pointer) Properties and

verry little in the User Manuals. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.