HP EliteBook 6930p - Fingerprint system password reset problem (12732 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Pawel R
Message 1 of 27 (12,732 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP EliteBook 6930p - Fingerprint system password reset problem

Hi,

After reinstalling Vista, I cannot use Fingerprint Reader. When I try to register my fingerprints Credential Manager says that the Fingerprint Reader security mode had been initialized outside of the current instance of the Credential Manager and to enter Fingerprint System owner password. But if I do not know the original owner password, I must reset Fingerprint Reader through BIOS.

So I enabled Fingerprint Reset on Reboot, after reboot I accepted by pressing F1 and that did something. HP ProtectTools application lunched itself on log in to Vista, but the Credential Manager still ask me for Fingerprint System owner password.

How can I reset owner password to Fingerprint system?
Occasional Visitor
Joachim Hummler
Message 2 of 27 (12,732 Views)

Re: HP EliteBook 6930p - Fingerprint system password reset problem

Hi,

same Problem! It's a Bug
Occasional Visitor
ingenior
Message 3 of 27 (12,806 Views)

It is a bug, we also have the same problem!
Occasional Visitor
Shangzhi Pan
Message 4 of 27 (12,806 Views)

I had the same problem and I already got crazy. Finaly I've found a solution. Deinstall the Authentec Fingerprintsoftware and driver. Restart the system go into the Bios and rest the Fingerprint System. Start Windows install the Fingerprintsoftware and driver and register your fingerprints without restart your system.

I didn't install the latest C-Version of Authentec Fingerprintsoftware but the B-Bersion. I don't know if the version matters, but to be sure use the old one.
Occasional Visitor
Dejan Bukovec
Message 5 of 27 (12,806 Views)

Hi guys,
Im having sam problem with reseting fingerprint password, but Im find solution!!!
Problem is that you must be logged into bios as "BIOS Administrator" and not example. "HP_PC\DEJAN"(You can have ADMIN rights but you will see reset fingerprint password grayed)...
Next problem is if you are not in first boot set "BIOS Administrator" password, then you have on enter BIOS avalible only "HP_PC\DEJAN" login and you can't set password for administrrator because is grayed. I think this is problem in latest bios F.0F (Dated:5 Mar 2009) because when Im downgrade BIOS to F.0E (Dated:15 Dec 2008) Im when Im login in BIOS with "HP_PC\DEJAN" see normaly Administrators options. Then Im set password for "BIOS Administrator" and reboot system into windows, flash latest BIOS back(F.0F) and go into bios, login as "BIOS Administrator" and reset fingerprint password. When are you logged by "BIOS Administrator" you have few security options more than normal ADMIN...
I hope that this will be help someone who will lock fingerprint password by random code :)
Occasional Visitor
ALAIN RICHARD
Message 6 of 27 (12,806 Views)

Hello Dejan Bukovec

I have a problem with the password owner of fingerprints (I do not know) with the HP ProtectTools security manager on a HP 6735b laptop. (Bios F.07)
Could you tell me how to re-solve the problem step by step?

If I understand you have to log in "BIOS Administrator", I do not know how, could you explain?

Thank you for your reply.
Occasional Visitor
Andrew McAuley
Message 7 of 27 (12,806 Views)

OK HP Tech Support basically told me that I couldn't fix this :(. After the pointer earlier in the thread I did the following :-

Log onto machine as local administrator
Launch HP ProtectTools Security Manager for Administrators
Bios Configuration -> Security
Fingerprint Reset on Reboot - Enable.
Reboot
Esc for Bios Setup
Choose Bios Option

I was then asked to F1 accept a reset of the password or F2 reject.

I F1ed and was good to start again.

I believe the key step is to Bios Setup as the reboot resets the Enabled Reset.

So I finally have working biometrics again.
Occasional Visitor
Victor Ocean
Message 8 of 27 (12,806 Views)

Hi!

If all is gray like this attached picture, How can I get it done? Plz.. help me..

GBU
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Sellnow
Message 9 of 27 (12,806 Views)

Hey Victor,

I was right in the same spot you were at, and discovered a fix. Earlier I had tried to reset the "Fingerprint System Owner Password" in the HP-PT Security Manager, but I didn't know the "original" password so I couldn't.

But right there on the top of that screen you are on (grayed out) there is an option to SET (not reset) the password. It asks you only for the new password and to confirm it, but does NOT require the original password.

Once you SET the password, then all the boxes become "ungrey" and you can follow the rest of the steps. Enabling the reset on the fingerprints worked for me.

My background on this was: I had a 300gb hard drive and I wanted to change partition sizes. Notebook was brand new so no big deal to FDISK and reformat and reinstall. But then the fingerprint stuff didn't work.

But now it does! Thanks, guys...

Occasional Visitor
tuan ngo
Message 10 of 27 (12,806 Views)

I got the same situation. Everything in the BIOS Configuration/Security are grayed, also the 'Set' button like Victor reply.

I am stuck right now. Please help.
Occasional Visitor
AdamiX
Message 11 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Yes i have got this problem too.
But everythinng is grayed, so i can't set bios admin passwoord :(
Please help me to enable my fingerprint sensor
Occasional Visitor
Dana Goyette
Message 12 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Hmm, disabled admin menu sounds familiar to me:

http://alerts.hp.com/r?2.1.3KT.2ZR.13ZEry.DQaeHS..N.ISmc.1xi4.bW89MQ%5f%5fDKBCFSO0

Title: HP Notebook PCs - May Be Unable to Unable to Enter F10 System Setup as BIOS Admin if HP ProtectTools is Enabled

I remember running into that one time, and they replaced the motherboard to fix it -- I assume they wanted the original, "broken" one on hand for analysis. Luckily, it looks to be fixable without a replacement, nowadays.
Occasional Visitor
AdamiX
Message 13 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Dana i try it, but when i open program "BiosConfigUtility" it automaticly closes...

Here is my problem, I am using Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, on laptop HP 6730b.
See picture
Occasional Visitor
Dana Goyette
Message 14 of 27 (12,364 Views)

BiosConfigUtility must be run from a command prompt that you've run "elevated" ("run as administrator" in right-click menu on the "Command Prompt" start-menu entry).

If you run BiosConfigUtility without any command-line parameters, it will merely display the list of command-line arguments you can give it, and then exit.
Occasional Visitor
AdamiX
Message 15 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Thanks Diana u saved me :)
It really works, old cmd times :)
Occasional Visitor
Mikkel S.
Message 16 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Thanks Dana! I was surprised to see that an admin password was required for the bios admin account to appear... You've been a great help for me as well!

/Mikkel
Occasional Visitor
Abdullah Yurttaş
Message 17 of 27 (12,364 Views)

I have just found the solution. It took me 6 hours. I'll come back later and try to describe the steps. (I am not sure if can remember them in the right order)

But make sure that you install hp protect tools security from the DVD.

then second you are to set a bios administrator password (other wise you have no chance)

third while restarting computer press esc enter the Start up Section choose the administor then enable fingerprints reset option.

once you have started the window the system will ask you a new password.
Occasional Visitor
Bilal Mustafa
Message 18 of 27 (12,364 Views)

I just got a solution on my 8730w after nearly 1hr of trying
should work for anyone!

1. I removed the HP Tools Suite (had to disable fingerprint device in device manager)
Also this step might not be required
2. Downgraded to F.0E BIOS - reboot
3. Upgraded to Latest BIOS - reboot

Upon reboot I entered bios and the reset evcerything option was available
(deletes all BIOS users, TPM stuff, Fingerprints blah blah etc.)

So theres one for HP support who ask you to pay for a new board!
Occasional Visitor
Boris Janicijevic
Message 19 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Hi, Bilal Mustafa.
I exactly do what you written with my HP EliteBook 8730w, but haven't success.
I have windows 7 installed on my laptop, and I try to make fingerprint work with HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite, all I get is two bios password (one like user, second like admin - but I think, no true admin, because security option in bios are grey an useless). Now, I want to remove that passwords from bios. Please, note, I remember that bios passwords and I can go in bios, but can't change security options. Can you explane step by step what exactly you doing, what operating system you have, did you flash bios from windows or bootable disc...
I can't uninstall HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite with windows uninstall in control panel, because ask me for owner system password and I don't know what is, so I reinstall windows 7. Now, I haven't HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite,and windows passwords, but still have bios passwords.

So, question for anyone who know solution are:
How to remove that bios passwords, and make bios with factory settings?
Can I flash Bios with factory settings.

Thanks in advance
Occasional Visitor
Mikkel S.
Message 20 of 27 (12,364 Views)

Boris,

Have you tried setting the admin password with BiosConfigUtility.exe?

/Mikkel
Occasional Visitor
Boris Janicijevic
Message 21 of 27 (12,160 Views)

Yes, I try procedure like Dana Goyette explane, but nothing happened (security options in bios still grey and lock, and I still have my early password, not any new admin password I try to setup), maybe I something do wrong? Can you explane me how to do that with BiosConfigurationUtility step by step in Windows 7, please? Regards Boris
Occasional Visitor
Mikkel S.
Message 22 of 27 (12,160 Views)

Boris,

In my case, there was only a single non-admin bios account. The admin account appeared after I added a bios admin password.

I did this by running BiosConfigUtility.exe with in an elevated prompt with parameter /NewSetupPassword:"pwd" . After having restarted my laptop, I saw the admin account in my bios configuration.

Your case is different because you already have an admin account. However, you could try removing the admin password by running BiosConfigUtility.exe with an empty password parameter in an elevated prompt:

BiosConfigUtility.exe /CurSetupPassword:"pwd" /NewSetupPassword:""

(of course, pwd should be your current password)

Maybe, after a restart you can then re-enable the admin account with:

BiosConfigUtility.exe /NewSetupPassword:"pwd"

This is just a suggestion. I don't know if it will actually work. Unfortunately I don't know if it's possible to reset the bios by using jumpers or the like...
Occasional Visitor
DC_IT_AJ
Message 23 of 27 (12,160 Views)

Where can I find the biosconfigutility.exe

I have the ProtectTools suite installed and I installed the Bios configuration snapin for ProtectTools, but I have search the whole drive for *.exe and still do not see this utility?
Occasional Visitor
DC_IT_AJ
Message 24 of 27 (12,160 Views)

I have found it here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01798858〈=en&cc=ca&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3934828&prodTypeId=321957
Occasional Visitor
Charles Conti
Message 25 of 27 (12,160 Views)

I have an HP 2530p Elitebook that came as XP Pro. Upon restage to Win 7 had the same problem when configuring Credential Manager.

I guessed that the default password is password, it worked. :0

Never overlook the incredibly obvious.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.