HP Compaq 6735s Screen not coming on, Plz help! (9914 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Saad Khan
Message 1 of 4 (9,914 Views)

HP Compaq 6735s Screen not coming on, Plz help!

Hi everybody,

I'm having problems with my HP Compaq 6735s laptop screen. The screen is not coming on. All I can see is the black screen. It was working fine the night before. It seems like the laptop is running as per normal in the backgroud but I can't see anything on the screen. There's power going to the laptop. The 'on' button light is lit however the hardware orange light is constantly flashing. When the laptop boots up, caps lock blinks a couple of times as well. 

I've connected the laptop with an external monitor, but there is no image on that either. 

Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 2 of 4 (9,887 Views)

Re: HP Compaq 6735s Screen not coming on, Plz help!

[ Edited ]

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Check the url above and to see if you can get additional information to further isolate the blank screen problem in your 6735s.

Good luck.

Occasional Contributor
Saad Khan
Message 3 of 4 (9,763 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I've visited the link above and followed the instructions.

When the laptop is turned on, the Caps Lock LED blinks 5 times.

According to the HP article, it's a general system board failure.

General system board failure:
A general system board failure (Blink code 5) is the failure of a component not covered by the other LED error codes. Contact HP for assistance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 4 of 4 (9,696 Views)

It may NOT be the answer you wanted to hear.

However if it is the motherboard failure, then it may not be easy or simple for anyone to remote debug the problem for you.

Motherboard failure could be anything. Unless you have the full schematic, motherboard layout, PCB components layout footprint, it will be extremely difficult to isolate the failing area and perform the DIY.

Even you can isolate the failing component(s), you will have hard time to get the exact component and perform the desolder and resolder the replacement component(s) on the motherboard. All components are surface mount and you will need a thermal profile to perform the rework otherwise you could demage the components near by.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.