HP 6730b "BIOS Application error (501)" (120276 Views)
Occasional Visitor
J. Harvie
Message 1 of 24 (120,276 Views)

HP 6730b "BIOS Application error (501)"

The full error message is this: "The HP BIOS application selected is corrupt or missing. Please install the application and try again. BIOS application error (501) ENTER - continue. For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup."

I have rebuilt the laptop 2 or three times now. The problem is intermittent but you have to restart the laptop and then it works fine. I just want to know what this is!

I am rebuilding this with XP not vista.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gerrit vd merwe
Message 2 of 24 (120,183 Views)

Re: HP 6730b "BIOS Application error (501)"

Hi

I have the same problem, i also tried to reload, no luck. Have you solved the problem yet?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Glenn Jonsson
Message 3 of 24 (120,183 Views)

I have an end user with the same (intermittant) problem. I have had a HP Service agent replace the systemboard and still have this fault.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
james.vrx22
Message 4 of 24 (120,184 Views)

I have just been notified about this exact problem on a clients machine. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but found this page on HP's site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=18703&docname=c014...

I am going to re-flash the bios and see if it will clear the issue. I will have a chance to look at this next wednesday.

Cheers
Jaymz - New Zealand
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
E. Lewis
Message 5 of 24 (120,184 Views)

I have an enduser who has been experiencing the same issue with the laptop. I reflashed the BIOS with the latest ROM and the error still showed up.

I noticed though it only shows up when the docking station powers up the laptop. Whether you open the lid and push the laptop down on the docking station, or push it on and then open the lid, when the docking station gives it power the message shows up. If you take the laptop off the docking station and just power it up, the laptop will not display this error. Anyone else experience something similar to this and fix it?? Ideas?? Suggestions??
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Pekkap
Message 6 of 24 (120,184 Views)

This is a feature.
You are using info-button to start and have no efi-partition (HP_Tools) installed.

Disable 'HP Quicklook' from bios setup.

-----

HP EliteBook Notebook PC Series - BIOS Application Error (501)

Information

You may have get a 'BIOS Application Error 501' error message if using not HP Preload image and press INFO button when starting unit.
The HP BIOS application selected is corrupt or missing. Please install the application and try again.

BIOS Application Error (501)

Enter - Continue

Details
This error is the result of using the INFO button launch HP EFI Application and if not using HP Preload image, the operating system cannot find the EFI partition.

What is EFI ?
EFI is a set modular interfaces that replaced the set of traditional BIOS interfaces between the OS and platform firmware.
The EFI partition is viewable on HP Preload image and HDD and is labeled as HP_TOOLS.
The EFI partition and HP EFI application are not required for the basic operation of HP Notebook, however, if partition is missing, EFI feature is not available.

Read mode on EFI Features on the "HP Business Notebook Computer - EFI Guidelines" that are downloadable on the www.hp.com

EFI Guidelines (116.5KB, PDF) HP Business Notebook Computer
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01564727/c01564727.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Pekka
Pekka
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
David Brigner
Message 7 of 24 (120,184 Views)

Thank you, Pekka. You are right on about this issue.

I know because I rebuilt my 2530p Elitebook, and intentionally removed the HP_TOOLS EFI partition. I started receiving the BIOS 501 error afterward, so I knew it was related to the partition removal. I had a couple of very frustrating calls with inept, barely English-speaking tech support folks who knew nothing about the EFI partition. They said that it would be recreated upon o/s re-install (obvious baloney)!

On my own, I finally found the document you referenced and proceeded to recreate the EFI partition. However, the portion of the document that describes how to recreate this partition states:

"Download the EFI SoftPaqs for QuickLook, System Diagnostics, and BIOS..."

I was able to find the SoftPaqs for QuickLook and SysDiags (which when run, installed themselves to their respective HP_TOOLS folder), but I have been unable to find the EFI SoftPaq that installs to the HP_TOOLS BIOS folder.

Any idea what/where the executable for this BIOS SoftPaq may be?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nordin Jonas
Message 8 of 24 (120,184 Views)

can this error display when the quicklook application on the drive has been uninstalled?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Martin Gerrebrands
Message 9 of 24 (120,184 Views)

Hi J.Harvie c.s.,

I recently have encountered the same problem with my laptop. I've read your mutual analysis, but incapable of understanding the technical aspects of the problem, I am looking for some kind of procedure to fix this problem on my own.
I can expect some kind of support from my company, but you know how this is handled (I probably will be missing my computer for a couple of months).
So, my question is: where can I find a procedure to fix this issue.
Another thing is, and I don't know if it is related, that without doing anything on my screen a seemingly corrupted window (HP Info Center)appears.

As you probably have noticed, English is not my native language. So sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Waiting for a reaction....
Thanks anyway for the information.

Greetings
Martin Gerrebrands
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rohit Bhardwaj
Message 10 of 24 (120,184 Views)

Hi there,

Had this error today, have you tried to Flash your BIOS by downloading the updated BIOS Driver from HP's Support Drivers page

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Juan Cerveza
Message 11 of 24 (115,479 Views)

I have the same problem, and the power button is not working, the only way to start the notebook is by pressing the info button.
I have rebuilded the HP_TOOLS partition and the bios message no longer appears, but still the only way to start the notebook is by pressing the info button, and the power button does nothing, any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
coen schouten
Message 12 of 24 (115,479 Views)

I work at a company that has purchased over a 100 HP 6730B laptops and docking stations. We are Flexworking and its a fact that when you dock the laptop ans start it with the docking stations power up button, it generates the message randomly. Not everybody accounters this problem dayly. My laptop (as a member of the ICT team) get this message dayly in the docking station.
I am going to disable the info button in the bios as Pekka suggested and see what happens.
I will let you all know my findings.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Finalmike
Message 13 of 24 (115,479 Views)

I've received this error and have also solved it. I found that one of the ribbons inside can become loose and cause this. This ribbon is located under the plate that houses the power button. It is the second ribbon on the right. Try cracking open the pc (you only need to remove 5 screws and loosen the 3 kb screws to get inside) and making sure that the ribbon cover is not off or loose. This will only apply if your power button light stays on even when you turn it off and if your HP_Tools is disabled. Have fun.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Shanks49
Message 14 of 24 (86,741 Views)

Solution:

You deleted the efi-partition (HP_Tools). You can get past this message by disabling HP Quicklook 2 in your BIOS.

1. Open up your BIOS (by pressing F10 while your machine is booting up)
2. Go to System Configuration / Device Configurations
3. Look for an option called "HP Quicklook" or "HP Quicklook 2"
4. Set it to "Disabled"
6. Save the changes (hit F10)
7. Restart your machine.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mark S Jones
Message 15 of 24 (49,212 Views)

How do  I solve BIOS error 501 on newly purchased laptop?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alben
Message 16 of 24 (27,207 Views)

How to fix the above error?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
alpha24
Message 17 of 24 (27,095 Views)

hello i have a problem with my computer each time i open it, there is a message : Bios Application error (501) please would you want to help me to resolve this problem?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rychyrd
Message 18 of 24 (24,557 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bingo! Cable was in there, but was askew. Thanks!

FinalMike:

"I've received this error and have also solved it. I found that one of the ribbons inside can become loose and cause this. This ribbon is located under the plate that houses the power button. It is the second ribbon on the right. Try cracking open the pc (you only need to remove 5 screws and loosen the 3 kb screws to get inside) and making sure that the ribbon cover is not off or loose. This will only apply if your power button light stays on even when you turn it off and if your HP_Tools is disabled. Have fun."

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kahoutg
Message 19 of 24 (21,245 Views)

Re: HP 6930b "BIOS Application error (501)"

HP support center I am very sad because my laptop startup problem bios error 501 so please solve my problem hurry.............I am waiting for your response.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kahoutg
Message 20 of 24 (21,240 Views)

Re: HP 8530b "BIOS Application error (501)"

The full error message is this: "The HP BIOS application selected is corrupt or missing. Please install the application and try again. BIOS application error (501) ENTER - continue. For more information, please visit:www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup."

I have rebuilt the laptop 2 or three times now. The problem is intermittent but you have to restart the laptop and then it works fine. I just want to know what this is!

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advan

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Najmi1997
Message 21 of 24 (20,987 Views)

BIOS application error

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
nunya_bidnis
Message 22 of 24 (20,358 Views)

Just a quick post, because the answer was hard to find. If you are restoring someone's computer, and restore the HP_TOOLS partition as well, make sure that when you make the new HP_TOOLS partition that it is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.

I found out after I upgraded to an SSD on my HP2000-369WM that the QuickWeb app wouldn't work (I don't use it anyway, but I wanted to make sure it would work) and I got the BIOS error 501. This is because I blindly made the new HP_TOOLS partition (and keep in mind you still have to have the same files and folders contained on that partition) NTFS when it was supposed to be FAT_32. I found the info in one of HP's manuals

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Il-Gringo
Message 23 of 24 (7,865 Views)

Verify your power Button ! if it doesn't work the problem must be in his bus (of information) often not correctly connected busses the cause of this fault ;) ! as in my case :) THANKS and sorry for my english . 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mneilfernando
Message 24 of 24 (4,453 Views)

First of All check ur keyboard..then disconnect it  and Restart..if is it ok . Then replace Keyboard

Hv a Good day ..!!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation