HP 6565b loses dual monitor connections when connected through docking station (5256 Views)
Occasional Visitor
gearadam
Message 1 of 11 (5,256 Views)

HP 6565b loses dual monitor connections when connected through docking station

This issue seems to occur when the laptop is initially connected to the docking station.  When booted, it only recognizes the secondary monitor (VGA).  If I unplug the DVI and plug it back in, it recognizes the DVI connection and everything works fine but I have to do that every day to get it to display both monitors.  Is there a setting somewhere that fixes the detection of the DVI monitor or a firmware upgrade that fixes this?  Something else?  Any help would be appreciated.  It's not stopping me from working but it is really annoying to have to pull that cable and plug it back in every day to get it to work as it should... I shouldn't have to do that.  TIA!!!

Occasional Visitor
teej813
Message 2 of 11 (5,235 Views)

Re: HP 6565b loses dual monitor connections when connected through docking station

I'm having this same problem, except my laptop is a 6465b. Dock it, and only the VGA monitor is recognized. The digital monitor toggles between analog/digital searching for a signal, but doesn't find one. After I unplug/replug the digital monitor, both monitors work.

Really frustrating. HP? Are you aware of this issue?

Occasional Visitor
Janvitos
Message 3 of 11 (5,194 Views)

Re: HP 6565b loses dual monitor connections when connected through docking station

We're having the same issue here at my work. We ordered over 30 6465b laptops with VB043AA docking stations and they all lose video connectivity from the DVI port after restart or after the computer wakes from standby. This is unbearable as most users work with dual monitors and cannot unplug / plug the DVI cable every time the problem happens. We cannot install the laptops as long as there isn't a viable fix. We might have to return the laptops to HP if no solution is found shortly. We usually order hundreds of laptops a year.

Occasional Visitor
Janvitos
Message 4 of 11 (5,190 Views)

By the way, we tried to use the DisplayPort directly on the laptop with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter and it works perfectly using this method. I assume the laptop is somehow not detecting the DVI port from the docking station whenever it gets into Windows. Tried with Windows XP and 7, same results. This is most probably a driver issue.

Occasional Visitor
gearadam
Message 5 of 11 (5,188 Views)

I've tried updating all of the drivers to the latest drivers that HP has on their site but this didn't seem to help.  I had this problem when I was using the HP laptop and another user is having the same issue with a different laptop, same model.  I've since switched to a Lenovo laptop and have not had the issue since.  Seems to be related to HP laptops and apparently not just the 6565b as another member claimed to have the same issue with another model.  The Lenovo's are looking pretty appealing from a display standpoint and seem to have a better price point as well.  Apparently HP doesn't care to resolve the issue which seems pretty typical...  I've found over the past few months of working with them that their customer support is severly lacking at best; much more company focused than customer focused.  Been waiting close to a month to get a motherboard replaced that is on a next day repair/replacement SLA.  Apparently when there's a motherboard supplier issue, that becomes a customer problem and replacement is not even offered regardless if system stock exists or not.  I've seen enough HP support issues in the last 3 months to make me never buy another HP product of any type again.

Honored Contributor
Ronald
Message 6 of 11 (5,182 Views)

Hi,

As I dont' know what kind of docking station you are using I don't know if this is useful, however:

For some docking stations/notebook combinations if you are using an under rated power adapter will cause some functionality of the docking to not work (such as DVI) and vga to still work as it is pass through.

Most likely 90 watt will be enough for the earlier models, not sure about the 6565b though.

Occasional Collector
Wyrdstorm
Message 7 of 11 (5,154 Views)

We are having the same issue with some 6465b's which came in, we image them with WinXP for now and decided it may bea driver issue(according to HP) who re-rewrote a driver, and it didn't work.

The DVI connection will just keep monitor on standby, until I pull the DVI cable out and plug back into the docking station.drivers, all

Fortunately, we had some 6550b's (far superior!) left and deployed these to users who use dual screens, but this really does need sorted...

I have tested it with Windows 7 also, latest drivers etc and it is still the same issue, so its not XP or the drivers I don't think....

We have had nothing but issues with these 6465b laptops since they arrived, monitor issues, battery issues, HDD issues after encrypting them dying, Wireless signal is very poor (sat next to my 6550b with full wireless signal, it has 2 bars out of 5) running latest drivers etc, router is Wireless N Standard and both wireless cards are also so it says...

Anybody else experenced these issues??

HP - HELP!!!

Occasional Visitor
Janvitos
Message 8 of 11 (5,136 Views)

So after some testing, we have a temporary but functional solution which implies using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

Basically, this is the setup that works for us:

- Connect one monitor to the DVI port on the docking station

- Connect the second monitor to the DisplayPort on the docking station using the DisplayPort to DVI adapter

Using this setup, I can restart the computer and always have an image on the primary monitor before logon.

After logon, the second monitor comes on and everything is working properly.

We received an email at work stating that HP is currently working on a solution regarding this issue.

If they could send out free DisplayPort to DVI adaptors with the 6465b laptops, that could correct the issue, unless you absolutely need to use the VGA port on one of the monitors.

Occasional Visitor
UnionPacific_IT
Message 9 of 11 (4,185 Views)

To put everyone's mind at ease, this is a known issue at HP, it is hardware related.  We have over 10,000 of these devices here and they all have the same issue.  I have been trying to see if HP has a resolution to this known issue, (been known by HP for months) but as of yet, I have found no fix from HP on this issue except by bypassing the DVI port with a display port to DVI adapter dongle. 

I have also contacted HP tech support, they were clueless....

I have a feeling that since this is a known issue for months, and HP has not resolved the issue yet, It may be unrepairable and HP has abandoned all hope.  I hope I am wrong....

Stay tuned...

Occasional Visitor
musdtech
Message 10 of 11 (4,164 Views)

Has this problem been resolved? We had a similar issue. None of the 950 HP 6565b's would work with the docking station. If you still need help let me know. I am not at work, but can get info Monday if need to help here.

Occasional Visitor
ReRon28
Message 11 of 11 (3,791 Views)

You have to use DVI-I cables so that the signal can be converted back to Analog. Not sure why but it solves the issue.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.