HP 530 BIOS Update Power-on Password problem (1939 Views)
Advisor
chris pettipiere
Message 1 of 16 (1,939 Views)

HP 530 BIOS Update Power-on Password problem

Hi All HP530 owners,

This is NOT a question but a warning and petition.

WARNING - Please read this carefully - WARNING

There is a MAJOR problem with the BIOS update f.08 for the HP530 laptop this update can cause the following problem. - note - HP Tech Support España say the update works fine.

1. The Screen will appear dead, in fact an HP logo will appear VERY faintly then the screen
will go black. Is the screen on? possibly.
2. The laptops fan will keep running and the power will stay on.
3. If you have connected the laptop to an external monitor you will find a box requesting a Power-on password despite you have not created one.
4. You will have 3 attempts to put in the correct password before the laptop will have to be reset so you can try again - Hold down the power button for 7 seconds to power the laptop off. Then restart the laptop and try again. I have tried EVERY password I have EVER used without any success.

HP Technical Support España say they are now looking at this problem after a heated
conversation with them on Thursday 21st May, as I consider this HP's fault and they didn't
accept this. Read on to find out how this conversation went...

My story

31st May 2008 I decided to buy a HP530 laptop to replace my faithful ACER travelmate, I was
so impressed by the HP530 that I added it to my sales list (I am a registered "informaticá"
or computer geek here in Spain). I wrote glowing reviews about a budget laptop that had
reduced costs in all the right places, and continued right up to this week telling my
clients that despite a cost difference of about 50€ more and loss of facilities that the HP 500 series were the best budget laptops you could buy. Even though my one had now developed a fan problem. I have removed HP laptops from my sales lists until this is resolved - You can have the best product in world but if the support is bad the product is no good.

When the my faithful HP530 started to run the fan at all times, I carefully backed up ALL
data and then reset the machine to factory conditions using HP's restore program. I ran the BIOS's own memory test and could not find any problem, so next after preparing myself to
accept I would be without the laptop for a short while I called HP España.

The Technical Support at HP made me do the f.08 BIOS update, this is quite logical as I had an actual problem. Then the screen went blank and I had the same problem you are all
experiencing.

I reported this problem and Technical Support Spain called me and told me that I must have
put the password on the BIOS myself. I insisted that I hadn't as I was preparing to send the laptop back to themselves. They insisted that a BIOS update could not add aa password to a machine, that they had performed the f.08 BIOS update with a HP530 laptop and
had no problem. They told me despite having a problem on record requiring that the laptop
come in to be serviced under warranty that I would have have to pay to have the password
removed. After about 15 minutes heated debate the support agreed to look at the forum posts
- Which apparently did not count as it's a "User Forum" but "escalated" the problem. I am
still waiting for them to accept the laptop.

I was told by HP support that they would probably just send me a firmware update to fix
this. I have only one question - how do they intend us to apply this firmware update? This
is a Power-on Password meaning that you won't be able to run a CD, USB flash Drive or Floppy
Disc. The only solution is that HP pay to collect our laptops remove the password and return our laptops FREE OF CHARGE. Also this "firmware" update would still leave me with my
original problem of a constantly running fan and very hot laptop.

If You are reading this you probably have an HP530 laptop.

If you haven't done so already DO NOT update your BIOS to f.08.

While it apparently can go smoothly there are 19 reported cases that it can go horribly
wrong and turn your beloved working HP530 laptop to a HP 530 Brick.

Please add your name to this forum post if you have an HP530 with the same problem with the
f.08 BIOS update - maybe we can get HP to fix it. Please remember to add the following
information:

1 - When you purchased the laptop - THIS SHOULD NOT BE A "IN WARRANTY" ISSUE
2 - What country you purchase the laptop in.
3 - What p/n is the laptop (on the bottom near the service tag)
4 - Why did you update the BIOS - i.e. were you experiencing problems before?

The more names we have on the list the better chance we have of HP fixing this VERY serious
problem, which is leaving growing numbers of us with dead laptops.

CURRENTLY THERE ARE FIVE OTHER THREADS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM

Business support forum:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1340613
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1338225
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1341310
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1341820

Consumer Support Forums:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1341820

HP SERIOUSLY READ THE FORUMS - TAKE YOUR USERS SERIOUSLY OR LOSE THEM

Why and when should you ever update your BIOS?

In my opinion as a technician a BIOS update is a very serious update as it affects the very
processes of how you computer starts - this means that if it goes wrong you will have a non functioning laptop. With this in mind you still may need to do a BIOS update if your PC is having problems, but this is the ONLY time it is recommended to do a BIOS update.

The old addage applies "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

However having said all this BIOS update should be smooth affairs and present no problem unless one of the three following conditions apply.

1 - There is an exsisting problem with the PC that causes the BIOS update to fail, faulty
motherboard, faulty ram, etc...
2 - The power gets cut while performing the update - Makes sure this is done while plugged
in - NEVER DO A BIOS UPDATE ON BATTERY POWER
3 - The BIOS update has a problem - this is the f.08 updates problem - 19 owners have stated this on the forum. All with the same symptoms.

My credentials.

I have been working as a REGISTERED technician for 6+ years, before I worked as a designer
for a communications company, doing electronic design & 3d design, in their Research &
Development Department. Before that I built electronics and worked in the servicing
department. I have been using computers and home programming since 1983, using IBM style
computers since (like the HP530) since 1994 and an IT professional since 1997. I hold well
in excess of 10 professional IT & electronics qualifications.

In short I know what I am talking about!

HP please read your forums and take this seriously.

It is possible that some HP530 have another problem that is causing this update to go wrong please discover what it is.

Plus your active chat say this is not a supported model!! Mine is less than a year old, is this a joke??

see below:

HP Instant Support Professional Edition
Active chat

We're sorry, but the information you entered is not of a currently supported model. For email support, contact HP. If you feel there was an error when entering in your information, click here to go back.

The information you entered:

Product number: CND81322LZ
Serial number: KQ630AA

Come on HP get your act together.
Advisor
chris pettipiere
Message 2 of 16 (1,939 Views)

Re: HP 530 BIOS Update Power-on Password problem

My HP530

Purchase date: 31 May 2008
Product number: CND81322LZ
Serial number: KQ630AA
Occasional Visitor
Александр Панов
Message 3 of 16 (1,939 Views)

My HP530

Purchase date: 25 August 2008
Product number: FH523AA#ACB
Serial number: CND819D0W9
Advisor
Igor Kuzmik
Message 4 of 16 (1,939 Views)

My HP530

Purchase date: October 2008
Product number: FH542AA#ACB
Serial number: CND8231GLC
Occasional Visitor
Juraj Nagy
Message 5 of 16 (1,939 Views)

HP 530

Purchase date 20.05.2009

Product number:KQ630AA
Serial Number:CND8072T7N

SLOVAKIA
Advisor
Igor Kuzmik
Message 6 of 16 (1,939 Views)

Chris, as i understand you are good in computer technique. Could you find password in BIOS file? Maybe it's in BIOS file
Regular Advisor
AjithB
Message 7 of 16 (1,939 Views)

Frequent Advisor
Andrey Popov
Message 8 of 16 (1,939 Views)

I have a some problem: i tried to upgrade the bios on my notebook from F07 to F08, after reboot asking "Power-on password".

Information about my model:
HP530, p/n FH524AA#ACB, s/n CND819D06V.
Purchase at Ekaterinburg city, Russia, on 2008 year.
Advisor
chris pettipiere
Message 9 of 16 (1,939 Views)

Hi Igor I am sorry to say a Power-on Passsword is a non starter the only way to clear this is remove the battery but on modern laptops probably won't work. This problem will need the Eprom to be re-written.

I suspect this is something that symptomatic of of problems with the motherboard i.e. faliure. This would also explain why HP are having problems recreating the problem.

The solution is remarkably simple:

Collect our laptops - use them to find what is causing the fault. I offer my laptop in exchange for another.
Advisor
Aram Ovanyan
Message 10 of 16 (1,939 Views)

My HP530 details:

P/N: KP464AA#ABV
S/N: CND813144B
Purchased on August 2008, from Dubai
Occasional Advisor
Marek Zamiatowski
Message 11 of 16 (1,820 Views)

My HP 530

Purchase date: 14 July 2008
P/N:CND822VDCC
S/N:PH547AA-ABE
Occasional Advisor
Андрей Козаков
Message 12 of 16 (1,820 Views)

Frequent Advisor
Andrey Popov
Message 13 of 16 (1,820 Views)

Occasional Visitor
Herenildo dos Santos
Message 14 of 16 (1,820 Views)

HP here in Brazil decided to make the change of the system board portatio now back to work
Occasional Visitor
Dominik Wicke
Message 15 of 16 (1,820 Views)

Same Problem here!

Problem since 15. May 2009!

Many, many, many phone calls, emails etc. to hp .. at the last they decide me to downgrade the Bios to F.07 .. i dont know because i will laughing or cry!!

HP 530
s/n: CND81226CZ
p/n: KP464AA#ABD

Im working by the Deutsche Telekom AG as Systemadministrator .. the Update works fine at installing but after the Reboot, the same!
Display ist dark and a Power-On Password checks comes after any menu selectin!

I have seen today, that HP has took the Bios rev. f.08 down from the Update Site. What will this say to me ... ?!

IM ANGRYYYYY!
Frequent Advisor
Andrey Popov
Message 16 of 16 (1,820 Views)

Dominik,

problem is still resolved at 27 may, see solution in thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1340613
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.