F10 Will not let me into BIOS set up to change boot sequence (309 Views)
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 1 of 4 (309 Views)

F10 Will not let me into BIOS set up to change boot sequence

F10 Will not let me into BIOS set up to change boot sequence. Critical windows system files were deleted requiringa re-install of OS. However the boot sequence is C drive first keeping me from doing the install. And F10 will not allow me in to change it. it just keeps going to windows 2000 and fails because of the missing files.
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 2 of 4 (309 Views)

Re: F10 Will not let me into BIOS set up to change boot sequence

To get into the computer setup, you would tap on F10 at boot. If this does not work, it is likely that you do not have the diagnostic partition and setup installed on the computer. You can download both from the link below. This will be listed as Computer Setup for Portables and Personal Computer Diagnostics. http://www.compaq.com/support/files/armada/us/locate/4_934.html To install this software on the hard drive you will have to remove all partitions from the hard drive. Then you can install the diagnostic partition and setup on the hard drive. It will automatically create the partition for you. Alternatively, you can boot to the setup disk and pick the option to enter into the setup.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 3 of 4 (309 Views)

Yes re-installing like you said would be good however the BOOT Sequence is pointing to the C drive FIRST keeping me from using any emergency disk or start up disk or install disk because I need to point to A:\ or to the CD ROM as the first disk checked.
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 4 of 4 (309 Views)

Reset the ESCD by powering the machine down. Hold down the Fn key in the lower left corner of the keyboard. Hit the power slider, and then as quickly as possible start tapping the F11 key. What you should see is the lights flash on and off for a few seconds, a memory count, and then after a few minutes a message that says 162 options not set "F1 Save Changes". Press F1 to continue. What this does is clears ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data). Now try to boot to a boot disk.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation