Evo N1015v battery not charging to 100% (150 Views)
Occasional Visitor
harlanpepper
Message 1 of 5 (150 Views)

Evo N1015v battery not charging to 100%

My Compaq Evo N1015v's original battery (part #280207-001) holds a charge for only about 20 minutes. It shows that it's replacement part # is 289053-001. I bought (on eBay) a new battery that claimed to be compatible/interchangeable. It is part #190336-001 (with a replacement #191169-001).

Here is what the new battery is doing:
When I charge it up with the AC adapter, the Windows Power Meter never shows the battery as fully charged, even when I let it charge up overnight:
-Once it showed 78% charged/3:30 hours and gave me around that much time.
-Another time it only went up to 49%/1:30 hours, and gave me around 2 hours.
-Most recently it showed 80% & 2:30 hours and gave me exactly that much.

Interestingly, when it goes into "Low Battery Warning" stage (with a red X over the battery icon in the SysTray), sometimes it will show 1 minute remaining but take 10 minutes to actually go into hibernation. Tonight its 1 minute warning was actually accurate

So I think that it's possible that most of the time it is fully charging, but that it doesn't show that in the Power Meter. Is this is possible? Could it be that this is because I am replacing part #280207-001 with part #190336-001 and that there is an incompatibility there as it relates to Windows?

I'm OK with the Power Meter not reflecting the true charge (I'd rather not have to return the part), but I want to be clear if the battery is bad or if this is a minor Windows XP bug that stems from the differing replacement part numbers. Has anyone else ever seen this?

So, in sum: Bad battery or inaccurate Power Meter?

Thanks for any help.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Extreme_Boky
Message 2 of 5 (150 Views)

Re: Evo N1015v battery not charging to 100%

Charge and discharge current is measured correctly only if the original battery is used. If you use compatible replacement, the discharge current sense circuit is different - therefore the measurement and calculations will not be accurate.

If the battery works okay, ignore the info reported back by your notebook. Plug in the AC adapter as soon as you get the red cross on battery icon.

If you are finicky about the battery thing, get the original battery replacement from HP.

Extreme_Boky
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
harlanpepper
Message 3 of 5 (150 Views)

Extreme_Boky,

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense, but I'm still getting varying amount of actual charge times. On a new battery, shouldn't I get 3 hours of time with only light usage (web browsing/email)? Sometimes, I get over 3 and some only 2.5.

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
harlanpepper
Message 4 of 5 (150 Views)

Extreme_Boky,

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense, but I'm still getting varying amount of actual charge times. On a new battery, shouldn't I get 3 hours of time with only light usage (web browsing/email)? Sometimes, I get over 3 and some only 2.5.

Or is maximum charge time only accurately measured when the notebook is completely idle for the full amount of time, so that I'm comparing apples to apples (as opposed to idle usge time vs. light usage time).

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Extreme_Boky
Message 5 of 5 (150 Views)

You will find all the answers in the attached document.

Lowering the brightness will increase the battery life substantially.

I think the variance in battery life you are experiencing is normal, depending on LCD brightness, CPU load, DVD usage.

Extreme_Boky
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation