Embedded Status Indication Applet: Catastrophic failure (1016 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Dan Esterline
Message 1 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Embedded Status Indication Applet: Catastrophic failure

While setting up an nw9440, I had a rough time removing and reinstalling an antivirus product. Now on startup I get a pop-up error message with "Embedded Status Indication Applet" in the caption bar and "Catastrophic failure" in the text of the window. My guess it has something to do with the fingerprint device but am not really planning on using that .... yet.
Any advice on how to fix it or remove the error?
Occasional Visitor
Eric Heinz
Message 2 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Re: Embedded Status Indication Applet: Catastrophic failure

I had exactly the same problem on an nw8440.
Norton Internet Security, which came on my nw8440, was unable to update itself.

I was advised by Symantec to remove and reinstall the application.

After reinstallation I get that same pop-up error message: A window titled "Embedded Security Status Indication Applet" with the message "Catastrophic failue".

How can I clear this warning message?
TWS
Occasional Visitor
TWS
Message 3 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Sorry, but I'm not replying with a solution, just a similar problem on my nc8430.

I have the same "Catastrophic Failure" only the header says "HP Protect Tools Security Module", which I believe the Embedded Security is associated with.

So, I'm just hoping that someone found a solution.

If I can't find anything else on this I may just use System Restore and try to reinstall Norton... again.
Occasional Visitor
Max Forni
Message 4 of 10 (1,016 Views)

I had the same error on my nx9420. You are right it is the fingerprint device. The way to prevent that error message occurring is to go to the HP software update webpage and install all the latest updates associated with that device.
Occasional Advisor
George Stanford Wang
Message 5 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Sorry but I am facing the same problem.

I think it more than a fingerprint problem. I just remove my NIS 2007 (due to another strange issue), and then restart my nx9420, which prompts me the "Catastrophic Failure" message. After the reinstallation, the message still appears every time I restart my laptop or open the Credential Manager Interface. What is more, the Security Center ceases to function, too.
I've tried to restore my computer, but it doesn't work.

If there's no else way, I will choose to use HP Restoration...

By the way, is there any alternative way to download hp drivers, e.g. using download software? The browser download is too slow.
Occasional Advisor
George Stanford Wang
Message 6 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Sorry but I am facing the same problem.

I think it more than a fingerprint problem. My nx9420 is not equipped with such a device. I just remove my NIS 2007 (due to another strange issue), and then restart my nx9420, which prompts me the "Catastrophic Failure" message. After the reinstallation, the message still appears every time I restart my laptop or open the Credential Manager Interface. What is more, the Security Center ceases to function, too.
I've tried to restore my computer, but it doesn't work.

If there's no else way, I will choose to use HP Restoration...

By the way, is there any alternative way to download hp drivers, e.g. using download software? The browser download is too slow.
Occasional Visitor
Max Forni
Message 7 of 10 (1,016 Views)

The problem started when I installed Norton IS. I emailed Norton and they patiently explained it was not their software. I emailed HP and was told to update all drivers to do with with embedded security which I did and which solved the problem. I'm afraid there isn't a shortcut method of installation that I'm aware of - it doesn't take too long with a broadband connection.
TWS
Occasional Visitor
TWS
Message 8 of 10 (1,016 Views)

I had some trouble installing Authentec driver sp32471 until I switched to my Administrator user name (first time I had to do that).

It seemed to be successful, but it did not solve the problem. Also, the driver still shows up when I run the HP online system check.

I've also tried to uninstall Authentec through the Device Manager and then reinstall, but no luck.

I guess I'll try HP Support when I have time.
TWS
Occasional Visitor
TWS
Message 9 of 10 (1,016 Views)

I guess I spoke too soon. After yet another reboot... I seem to be ok. Now back to fixing the Norton AV problem.

Thanks for the ideas.
Occasional Advisor
George Stanford Wang
Message 10 of 10 (1,016 Views)

Yes the right way is to update HP Embedded Security for ProtectTools and Infineon TPM Driver. After that there won't be the annoying message any longer.

The link is
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32001-32500/sp32486.exe
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.