Elitebook fails to boot if storage device plugged into USB (783 Views)
Occasional Collector
OS-Cubed
Message 1 of 6 (783 Views)

Elitebook fails to boot if storage device plugged into USB

Myself, and all of my clients with Elitebooks have a problem with the system locking up before bios even loads if a USB Storage device is plugged into any of the ports. This happens whether the port is a port on the dock, or a port on the laptop. We use mostly 1 or 2TB Buffalo drives for external backup and they work like a charm, but if you cold boot a machine with a drive plugged in it locks up almost immediately (IE before Bios loads). You can get it to boot by unplugging the USB and turning it off and on. Unplugging without turning it off and on doesn't allow the boot to continue.

This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and must be a bios setting problem. I've tried even removing and disabling USB drives from the boot order but this has no effect. It essentially means you can't leave a storage device plugged into your docking station unless you undock each time you boot, then re-dock.

I have several clients with different elitebooks that have this problem. Please advise.

Occasional Collector
OS-Cubed
Message 2 of 6 (781 Views)

Re: Elitebook fails to boot if storage device plugged into USB

This happens on multiple different elitebook models, including the 8760w and many others.
Frequent Advisor
etienne
Message 3 of 6 (767 Views)

Some time ago I posted the same issue.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/Elitebook-8540p-does-not-start-when-exter...

I still do not have a solution when the drive is connected to a USB 3 port. USB 2 does not show the problem. I also tried laptops from other brands. In all of those experiments something does not work when the drive is connected to a USB 3 port. e.g. booting is no problem but not all of the partitions are visible etc.

So, I would say that the problem is not specific for HP or Elitebooks. USB 3 simply does not always do what it should do.

Best regards,

Etienne 

Frequent Advisor
Graham Ashley
Message 4 of 6 (754 Views)

Hi all, there was an HP Support Advisory sent out regarding same or similar issue earlier.

You may want to check it out and see if it applies to this issue (Document ID: c03405145)

:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03405145&jumpid=em_alerts_us... 

Hope that helps.

Frequent Advisor
etienne
Message 5 of 6 (733 Views)

in my case, this SP did not solve the problem.

Etienne

Occasional Collector
OS-Cubed
Message 6 of 6 (730 Views)

SP did not work on my Elitebook 8760 either.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.