Elitebook 8540p: does not start when external USB 3 disk is connected (2575 Views)
Frequent Advisor
etienne
Message 1 of 6 (2,575 Views)

Elitebook 8540p: does not start when external USB 3 disk is connected

when my Iomega portable hard drive is connected (USB 3.0) to my 8540p Elitebook, the notebook ( running W7 Pro 32) does not start. So I have to unplug the external hdd, start the notebook and then pug in the hdd again. I do not want this behaviour. When I connect the hdd to my old HP XE4500 (USB 1)  the problem does not occur and the XE4500 starts without any problem and finds the hdd and all its partitions.

Further information: USB Legacy Support (BIOS setting) is enabled. Also the boot order is such that the internal hdd is the first device to boot from. Another recommendation that I saw in some forum, namely to remove the battery, has not been tried because that can in my humble opinion not be the cause of the problem. And if this would solve the problem, I prefer to have the current inconveniences.

Maybe someone has the solution for me (and I guess many other people).

Thanks in advance,

etienne

Honored Contributor
JosephF
Message 2 of 6 (2,540 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8540p: does not start when external USB 3 disk is connected

Can you make sure you're running the latest BIOS? The 8540 series had a few USB-device related fixes in a few updates which could cause symptoms like this...

---

Occasional Advisor
Simon C.
Message 3 of 6 (2,279 Views)

I have a IDENTICAL setup than you and having the exact same issue...

When my Iomega eGo 1 TB portable USB 3.0 drive is connected to my Elitebook, it stay frezzed at the HP logo and never continue. I can't press any key on keyboard or anything. It's just FREZZED! I have to force power off, then disconnect the USB 3.0 device and reboot normally. I run the lastest BIOS from HP website (25 nov 2010 release).

My laptop is brand new and I think I'm gonna open a service ticket with HP just to be sure this problem is gonna be examinated for a future BIOS upgrade release. I guess it's not related with a problem with my USB 3.0 device itself... Actually it's not really annoying, but I prefer when my high-end laptop are 100% functional in any case!

------
EliteBook 850 G1, EliteBook 8540P, Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch
Frequent Advisor
etienne
Message 4 of 6 (2,258 Views)

Hello Simon,

thanks for your reaction. It is always good to know that I am not the only one that is confronted with a problem. It is indeed exact the same issue. I am like you and I also expect that such a high end laptop is 100% functional. I am almost quite sure that this is not an USB 3.0 issue. When I connect the device to the USB 2 bus, the same problem occurs. I also connected the Iomega drive to a zillion of other systems (all kind Microsoft OS'es, various computer brands)  and those systems always started. So, my conclusion is that the drive is OK.

But maybe it has to do with the fact that the 8540p is a system that has best of class security and protection features and that HP simply prohibits that you can start the laptop when an external hdd is connected.

etienne

Occasional Visitor
ewimberley
Message 5 of 6 (1,961 Views)

I have an EliteBook 8540w and I have the same exact problem.  The computer will not get past the post screen if my Iomega eGo 1 TB USB 3.0 external drive is plugged in to one of the "SS" USB 3.0 ports.  If I boot up the computer and let it get past the post screen in the startup process, and to the "Starting Windows" screen, and then plug in the drive, everything works fine.  I have the latest system BIOS.  What makes this thing hang in the startup process?
Occasional Visitor
Jagarm
Message 6 of 6 (766 Views)

I have a user who is trying to connect a seagate expansion drive into the HP 8540p and just like everyone it freezes, after few seconds the numlock and caplock blinks 5 times and according to HP documentation it means there is a system board failure, but when it is unplugged it works fine.

Has anyone found a cause for this issue? It is very annoying

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.