Elitebook 840 and HP GNSS Sensor (1100 Views)
Occasional Advisor
fasst
Message 1 of 3 (1,100 Views)
Accepted Solution

Elitebook 840 and HP GNSS Sensor

I've been trying for days to get a satellite fix, by using GPS Satellite from Store, without any luck.

HP GNSS Sensor and Windows Location Services are enabled.

The only info I get, sometimes, are Altitude reading but no satellites and no fix.

I tried to place my phone and tablet  beside the 840 and both picks up satellites and get a fix quite fast. So I know I have gps covering.

AS we know the GPS interface has changed from Win7/XP to Win8. Win8 use an API and not com ports.

Has anyone successfully got a reading, lock / fix,  from the HP GNSS Sensor?

Honored Contributor
Toffy
Message 2 of 3 (1,080 Views)

Re: Elitebook 840 and HP GNSS Sensor

fasst

First update the Bios

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405365&sp...

Install the Driver Pack

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405365&sp...

go outside and test the GPS

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Occasional Advisor
fasst
Message 3 of 3 (1,074 Views)

Re: Elitebook 840 and HP GNSS Sensor [SOLVED]

@Toffy

I have both the 1.06 bios and the latest drivers.

I downloaded MS Sensor Diagnostic Tool and  I ran it in parallel with all of the GPS related apps from MS Store The apps dont read correct data from the GNSS-sensor(whitch is a Huawei chip btw). All  apps is showing wrong altitude and missing data.  

The Sensort Diagnostic Tool shows me that II got16 satellites in view and 7 satellites used in fix .

These apps show lattitude and longitude position but that info is not from the GNSS-sensor. It's from triangulation data from Windows Location Service.

So my conlution is that the GPS-apps i MS Store does a bad job reading info from the GNSS-sensor.

Attached picture shows info from the Sensor Diagnostic Tool when testing.

HP should add a small app with info on satellites in view and satellites used in fix so we don't need to trust those badly developed apps.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.