EliteBook 8540w and Hyper-V (4948 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CharlieM
Message 1 of 9 (4,948 Views)

EliteBook 8540w and Hyper-V

I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 (with SP1 beta) on my EliteBook 8540w because I need the Hyper-V role.

After installing the Hyper-V role I enabled "Virtualization Technology" and "Data execution prevention" in the BIOS, it leads to a bluescreen when trying to boot.

If I disable the "Data execution prevention" the bluescreen disappear.... Is there a workaround this problem?

Another thread about the same problem Enabling Hyper-V on DC7900 bluescreen or locks , the solution there where a BIOS update. (I have the latest version (F.08))

- Charlie

Occasional Visitor
Wasay
Message 2 of 9 (4,805 Views)

Re: EliteBook 8540w and Hyper-V

Hi,

I am also facing same problem with HP 8540W, means when I am enabling Inter Virtualization and Data Execution Prevention, and Installing Hyper -V Role, I am getting Blue Screen.

@  CharlieM, if you disable the "Data execution prevention" you will not be able to run Virtual Machines using Hyper V.

Anyone with the solution please its very important.

Wasay

Regional Infra Consultant, Microsoft MEA HQ Team.
Occasional Visitor
Wasay
Message 3 of 9 (4,784 Views)

Hi,

I go the solution for this, this is because of NVidia graphics driver after removing NVidia graphics driver iit will work.

Following is the step by step solution.

1. Install the hotfix for Nehalem/i5/i7 CPUs:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530

2. Enable Virtualization Technology and Data execution prevention from BIOS.

3. Turn off computer (restart will not enough) and then Turn on.

4. Remove NVidia Display driver

5. Install Hyper V

This issue will be resolved in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, after installing R2 SP you can again reinstall NVidia Display Driver.

Regards

Wasay

Occasional Visitor
CharlieM
Message 4 of 9 (4,775 Views)

Hi,

I will try this fix, thank you for the solution.

- Charlie

Honored Contributor
JosephF
Message 5 of 9 (4,709 Views)

Just as a note, the purpose of the 'w' series is the Workstation-class graphics.  If you don't have the display driver installed, you'll lose accellerated use of professional applications.

I'm assuming, running Server 2k8 R2 w/ Hyper-V, that you have no desire to run those workstation applications, whether in a VM or on the physical machine. 

If so, this should work halfway decent.

---

Occasional Visitor
CharlieM
Message 6 of 9 (4,669 Views)

The solution that worked for me was to remove the Intel Turbo Boost driver. Now Hyper-V works and I have the NVidia Display driver installed...

Occasional Visitor
Wasay
Message 7 of 9 (4,662 Views)

Occasional Visitor
KatteKwaad
Message 8 of 9 (4,153 Views)

Hi Guys,

Please explain to me how you got the LAN drivers installed for the laptop? I haven't even gotten to the Hyper V issues yet as I'm stuck with the Ethernet controller card not working with the drivers from HP.

It says that it is successful during the install but doesn't work.

Thanks
M
Occasional Visitor
Magnus Arendt
Message 9 of 9 (4,026 Views)

Hi Kattekwaad,  you can download a Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Driver from Intel's website for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Lekker dag

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.