EliteBook 6930p BIOS Update (4014 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Boggler
Message 1 of 9 (12,196 Views)
Accepted Solution

EliteBook 6930p BIOS Update

I've been suffering blue screens and freezes (possibly since a Windows Update a week ago - hard to be sure since my Windows Update history has also been wiped - but that's for another day).  HP Support Assistant tells me I need not one but two BIOS updates:

ROM Image for HP Notebook System BIOS(ATI Video Controller)Remote ROM Flash - SSM compliant, and

ROM Image for HP Notebook System BIOS(Intel Video Controller)Remote ROM Flash - SSM compliant.

So that seems not only obviously wrong but possibly very dangerous.

Secondly, SSM seems to be about allowing system managers to manage multiple PCs over a network.  Well, it's just me here, and I'd like to upgrade my own BIOS, without (a) reading the 56 page SSM manual (b) buying another PC to run the update.

Does nobody else have this problem?  I didn't find anything in the forums.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 9 (12,180 Views)

Re: EliteBook 6930p BIOS Update

Hi:

You are right...probably dangerous to flash using the wrong BIOS utility...

You would download the BIOS for the graphics adapter in your PC--either the ATI or the Intel, not both.

To answer the second part of your question...you didn't list the OS you are running, but I have attached a link for the "single" BIOS update page. This link is for Windows XP: If you have a different OS, make sure you go back, and select downloads for the OS you are running.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3688870&...

Under BIOS, you will see that you have 3 choices. Chose the windows based flash or the one for either the ATI or Intel graphics controller that your specific computer has.

If you chose to flash in the Windows environment (I do it that way) Make sure your antivirus program is DISABLED. If you flash with the AV running, more than likely it will think a virus is trying to attack your BIOS and it will interrupt the flash rendering your notebook useless. If I have a need to flash a BIOS using the windows-based BIOS flash, I normally do it with no antivirus program installed just to be safe. Also, do not try and flash your BIOS if your computer is running Xindows XP, with a flash built for Vista or Windows 7, and visa versa.

I have read several posts by some unfortunate folks who have done this, and suffered grave consequences (dead PC's).

Bottom line:  Don't flash the BIOS unless you see in the BIOS revision notes that it fixes an issue you are experiencing or you need to flash it to use additional features such as a newer processor or device that wouldn't work with your current BIOS revision.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Boggler
Message 3 of 9 (12,173 Views)

Thanks very much for the quick reply.  Clearly the advice of Support Assistant needs to be treated with great caution.  I'm actually on Windows 7 and I'm not convinced that the BIOS is my underlying problem, but since I need to eliminate possibilities, I found the right standalone upgrade, disabled my AV, and updated.  And I'm still here, so that's one thing that didn't go wrong today.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 9 (12,164 Views)

:smileyhappy:

I hope the BIOS upgrade will fix the problem. If not, maybe a fresh install of W7 will work.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Peter Dollar
Message 5 of 9 (5,531 Views)

I'd like to continue this thread as there seems to be inconsistency in the download section for 6930p:
there are 2 bios versions both stating "ATI video" in description - the second one is actually for intel video boards so someone could flash the wrong bios - how can we notify HP of this ?

and one more F.1A stating none video chip reference - what about this one ?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3688870&...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sammy J. Shuford
Message 6 of 9 (5,352 Views)

How can one know WHICH video is installed?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Boggler
Message 7 of 9 (5,347 Views)

On Windows 7, right-click on Computer in the Start Menu, select Manage and enter an adminstrator password at the ACL prompt.  Then in the Computer Management window open System Tools and select Device Manager.  In the right pane open Display Adaptors, and it will show you what you've got.  You can right click on the item and get Properties, though it isn't usually very helpful information. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Peter Dollar
Message 8 of 9 (5,331 Views)

in windows XP right click on desktop if "catalyst control center" is an option you rather have ATI video,but to make sure click on "properties" and last tab with setting should show if ATI or Intel video is there

regardless of system installed, go to BIOS and "system information" and you can check there
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mszakir
Message 9 of 9 (4,014 Views)

EliteBook 6930p BIOS Update

Hi

yesterday i was updating my bios. i download my bios from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3688870&... 

and install the exe file after installing exe file my laptop is restared 1 time and after that laptop was on and in working condition. But i shutdown it and again start it. and there were no no disply is shown 

System info.

HPelitebook6930p 

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation