Dual Screens on Port Replicator (2093 Views)
Advisor
Andre Southgate
Message 1 of 3 (2,093 Views)

Dual Screens on Port Replicator

We have a range of notebooks from NC8430, and 8530W's on the following port replicator : KQ751AA.

We are trying to connect 2 x 24" LCD's to each of these for the people using large spreadsheets.

We have connected the DVI and VGA Cables to the separate monitors, but it seems only 1 works at a time. The Nvidia Software recognizes both monitors but I can't get it to display video.

When I switch to Samsung 1 and Samsung 2 mode, the VGA screen goes alive, the other remains dead, and it would seem that if it were on, the multi screen thing would be working ok

Is there a specific driver, or piece of software or update I need to apply to make this work?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Is there another way to do this?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (2,093 Views)

Re: Dual Screens on Port Replicator

Hi,

You may need a piece of hardware like this:

http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock/index.html

BH
BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 3 of 3 (2,092 Views)

Re: Dual Screens on Port Replicator

What resolutions are you trying on the monitors?  You may be hitting a resolution limit per monitor set by the video card or technological limitations.  If you exceed a certain resolution on a particular monitor, then the card disables the use of a second monitor because it isn't able to handle the total number of pixels across both monitors.

For reference, Single-link DVI is limited to about 2.75Mpixels @ 60Hz (e.g. 1920x1200) - higher resolutions will require a Dual-link connection.  Since Dual-link is essentially linking two video "portals" (or "desktops") to one monitor, you may lose the ability to connect a second display as both "desktops" are combined to generate the higher resolution requested.

Try lowering the resolution on both monitors to something all modern video cards can handle - say, 1024x768 - and see if both monitors light up.  If so, then bump both up to a 1600h resolution (such as 1680x1050 or 1600x900, depending on aspect ratio) and see if both work.  Continue until you reach the limits of the video card.

For reference, as I understand it, both the nc8430 and 8530w's should support dual external monitors when docked (with an appropriate dock) - one via DVI and one via VGA - make sure the internal LCD is disabled (close the lid).

- nn6o

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation