Compaq NC6230 fan runs continuously (500 Views)
Occasional Visitor
joseph zink
Message 1 of 5 (500 Views)

Compaq NC6230 fan runs continuously

The fan on my NC6230 seems to run continuously. XP Pro, SP3. 1 GB of RAM.
In Windows Task Manager, Performance, CPU Usage varies nominally (from 3% to 24% to 80% to sometimes 100% during loads), but CPU is usually quite low, like 3 or 4%. However, the fan seems to run continuously. Is there a diag for this, or is a continuously running fan normal?
Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
peter edmunds
Message 2 of 5 (500 Views)

Re: Compaq NC6230 fan runs continuously

Hi
Try this. Open up the HP tools by right clicking the yellow shield on task bar left bottom of screen click on Bios Configuration
then system configuration. Scroll down and see if "fan on when ac supply is connected" is selected.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
joseph zink
Message 3 of 5 (500 Views)

Hey, Peter. Thanks for your quick reply. Sadly, I cleaned out all of the extra stuff that is loaded onto a clean XP Pro install, and inadvertently left myself without HP Tools. A slow 30 minute google to try to fix THAT problem gave me a zero score for my efforts. Gosh.
I think I can do the same thing on bootup, and I'm sorry I've lost the HP tools and more sorry that they are so hard to find. But I'll do your suggestion on bootup, and see the answer.
Thanks again,
Joe
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
joseph zink
Message 4 of 5 (500 Views)

I found the setting on bootup F10: "Fan Always on while on AC Power" "Disable". So I think that is OK.
It could simply be perception, and I THINK the fan seems to run continuously. Also, I read somewhere that power supplies also have a fan, but I'm not sure of that.
One thing I AM sure of is that I work in a fairly dirty environment (SuZhou China) and so I'm going to clean my exhaust. I've also looked around for a graphic "fan meter", but can't find that either.
The CPU does not peg at high % (well, most of the time; if I open a doc with a lot of Chinese characters in it, MSWord will work very very hard to spelchek that, and sometimes peg at 100% CPU, and sometimes just come off the rails entirely.) But most of the time the CPU is fine, and I will keep checking things. It only seems that the last time MS sent down a bucketload of patches (starting with XP Pro SP3 and then patches for that and then patches for the patches), well, that is when I thought maybe the fan started to run almost continuously. But maybe it is OK.
Thanks again for your help, Peter. This NC6230 has been pretty good for three solid years, so I'm still pretty happy with it.
Thanks,
Joe
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Zdravko Genov
Message 5 of 5 (500 Views)

I have the same problem with the fan on my 6730s!
And someting more in IDLE temperature is about 34-35 degree - CPU,GPU,HDD (31 degree for HDD) and the stupid fan still work!He just do not make switch between 35;40 -> 50 degree as it suppose to be!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation