Compaq Armada 1550DMT (292 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 7 (292 Views)

Compaq Armada 1550DMT

Hello,

I would like to access the BIOS for the Compaq Armada 1550DMT. I have tried the suggested F10 key but it does not work.

I have read that if you do not have the BIOS software installed then you can not access the BIOS at all.

"If the Compaq BIOS software is not loaded on some older Compaq's you cannot access the BIOS. Likewise on some older Toshiba's you need to install TSETUP, which can be downloaded from Tosh's US web site."
http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Technical/support3.htm

The problem is that the disk drive on the laptop is broken and would cost too much to have it replaced.

I would like to reinstall my Windows Operating System but can not use a bootdisk. I would like to boot a CDROM and install it from there.

Any suggests on how to get this BIOS Software and how to get it installed. Or if there is another key that must be pressed to access it.

Thank You,
Mahesh

MyBootDisks.com
DLL-Downloads.com
Occasional Visitor
Message 2 of 7 (292 Views)

Re: Compaq Armada 1550DMT

PS> I do have network access on it, so I can download files and store it on the drive. I can get to DOS command line by using F8 on bootup, but I am assuming that I would still not be able to write the BIOS Software.
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (292 Views)

I think that model is so old the CD-ROM is likely not bootable. The best way I can think to reinstall Windows is to pull out the hard drive and format it in another machine with the DOS boot files. Also, copy all the Windows .cab files to it and install from the hard drive.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 7 (292 Views)

Pull out the HD?
How would I connect it to an IDE cable?
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 7 (292 Views)

Also, how and what screws do I need to remove to access the HD to remove it?

Honored Contributor
Message 6 of 7 (292 Views)

I buy and refurbish used laptops and it has been awhile since I had that model in my hands but I recall the hdd being under a trap door on the bottom and pretty easy to remove. When you pull out the hard drive you can then attach it to a spare ide slot (master or slave on one of the cables in a desktop) with a laptop 2.5" to desktop 3.5" adapter...they are sold every day on ebay for less than $10. You can also use an external usb 2.5" hard drive enclosure to do the same thing. Also sold on ebay for less than $20. Of course if you can do all this you could also replace the floppy drive...the bare drive would cost a few dollars on ebay (again) and the swap is not that hard.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 7 (292 Views)

Download the computer Setup for Portables from
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/8093.html

and follow instructions to create a compaq setup disk. You should then be able to access the bios and other setup.

PS: Sometimes resetting the internal battery resolve lots of booting problems.

Good luck
Nuvin
If you don't ask, you don't get!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.