Compaq 6715b no longer recognizes WLAN (3160 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jarheadduk
Message 1 of 12 (3,160 Views)

Compaq 6715b no longer recognizes WLAN

I've connected wirelessly to my home network for over a year on my 6715b without problems until yesterday. All of a sudden, there is no wireless network connection showing in my "Network Connections" folder, only my working wired local area connection. I've tried the "create new connection" wizard and cannot make a wireless connection. I even tried using the "wireless network setup" wizard with no success. It may be that the notebook no longer recognizes the wireless network adaptor as none shows up in Device Manager.

I know that my internet and wireless router are working properly as I can still connect using a different laptop.

Does anyone know what may be occuring here and how I can connect wirelessly again? How can I make the computer see the original wireless network adapter again?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Advisor
Andrei Sevcenco
Message 2 of 12 (3,160 Views)

Re: Compaq 6715b no longer recognizes WLAN

First of all... can you at least see the wireless network in the connection wizard?
If so, are you using WPA-PSK security? If that's the case then change it to WEP and then try again. My 6715s won't recognize WPA-PSK anymore.
If you cannot see the wireless net anymore then either the BIOS settings got corrupted and the wifi is no longer enabled or the wifi card is defective in which case go and buy another MiniPCI card and replace the one you have. It is next to the RAM slot on the underside of the laptop.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 3 of 12 (3,160 Views)

You might also try this:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Next, on the left side of the System Information window, click on the "+" sign next to Components, followed by the "+" sign next to Network. Then select Adapter. Wait till the information loads, then...

Scroll down the list on the right hand side and look for information on your wireless adapter. When you find it, it will look something like the information in the attached image for my nw8000.

There may be information here that tells you the status of your adapter and its driver(s). If you can't find a WLAN adapter here, yours probably is dead.

Caution: If you have to replace the wireless adapter, you will probably be better off getting it from HP. Intel versions with the same part number do not work properly for reasons only HP can justify.
Occasional Advisor
huntrm
Message 4 of 12 (3,160 Views)

Was this issue resolved for you?

I have exact same problem where the WLAN card randomly disappeared, and can no longer be recognized by XP.

I checked BIOS, the card is enabled. There's nothing in the Control Panel and furthermore when scanning for new hardware, XP doesn't find it.

Am thinking the card may have gone bad, but can't understand how it could just randomly happen........
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 5 of 12 (3,160 Views)

Remove the cover over the WLAN module. Try again.
Occasional Advisor
huntrm
Message 6 of 12 (3,160 Views)

I've removed the cover to the WLAN card, and put it back on.

Just received a replacement card, put that one in - still nothing.

I also updated the BIOS to latest as well as re-installed the drivers. Nothing...

I'm now trying all the latest Windows Updates to see if this thing will come back.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Occasional Visitor
Maciej Langner
Message 7 of 12 (3,160 Views)

I have almost the same problem with 6715s. Under XP, Broadcom card sometimes works and some times it does not. In the device manager a yellow sign with black exclamation appears. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the card, even reinstalled the whole system - still no improvement. Turning on my laptop is like gambling.
Interesting, whenever I boot it with Linux, the card always works. Always. Please, can anyone advise how to make the card work all the time?
Occasional Advisor
huntrm
Message 8 of 12 (3,160 Views)

I bought a PCMCIA wireless card for $30 as temporary fix. Has anyone tried dropping the laptop to the ground, about 18-30 inches high? All jokes aside, I've heard that this helps to "reseat" items in laptops.....

Of course, I've reseated the WLAN card, even replaced it, nothing. I'm begining to think this is an OS thing.
Occasional Visitor
Yolande Tomlinson
Message 9 of 12 (3,160 Views)

I have had the exact same problem with my tabletPC. Because I no longer had a service plan with HP, I went to Geek Squad and the guy who I happened to find at the desk told he has seen the same problem with other HP products and it's no use buying a new internal card; it won't work (as someone above pointed out). He says the problem is with the mother board. So unless you are willing to fix that, then do what i did and get an external wireless device.

So much for HP products.
Occasional Visitor
hermanwongsp
Message 10 of 12 (3,160 Views)

This is quite common problem in here, after a few troubleshot, most of the time we end up changing the motherboard. But before that, i suggest you try another wireless module, such as USB wireless to confirm it is not software problem.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 11 of 12 (2,623 Views)

Please, DO NOT resort to dropping your notebook or laptop on the floor to try and fix it! This is a crazy idea, even if it worked for someone at one time or another. You might be better off driving over it with a truck.

Using a more reasonable approach, you might try these things, one at a time, to see if there's any relief from your problems:

1. Reset BIOS to the factory default settings, save and exit.

2. Look in System Properties to see if the adapter appears there. See the instructions and the attachment I included in a previous post in this thread. Report back if it shows up there but nowhere else.

3. If the wireless adapter does appear in Device Manager, uninstall it and *let Windows find the driver for it.*

4. Unplug all external devices and remove any media from chip readers. In particular, remove the Ethernet cable if you have one plugged in.

5. Earlier, I suggested removing the WLAN module cover plate and leaving it off. If there's a foil or metal label on the inside of the cover plate, it *may* cause a problem with the RF circuits on the WLAN module by detuning the center frequency. This was the case with at least one model of notebook.

6. If you're using the Intel Wireless Assistant, ditch it and use the Windows interface. I've seen more than one system that had connection problems when using the essentially unnecessary Wireless Assistant.

Good luck.

Dennis...
Occasional Visitor
Ant3G
Message 12 of 12 (2,609 Views)

Thanks! Step with reseting bios to default settings helped me. Just booted windows and it worked!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.