Can I remove c:/system.sav and c:/SWSetup after Windows 7 Restoration (14545 Views)
Advisor
bimmerdriver
Message 1 of 3 (14,545 Views)

Can I remove c:/system.sav and c:/SWSetup after Windows 7 Restoration

My computer was just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I'm wondering if the folders in the subject are necessary. Does anyone know if they can be removed?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (14,533 Views)

Re: Can I remove c:/system.sav and c:/SWSetup after Windows 7 Restoration

Hi,

1. This note is for system.sav:

"The system.sav folder is specific to Compaq/HP systems. As there are differences in the restore procedure in different models of Compaq/HP systems, it's best advisable to refer the user manual to know if those folders can be deleted. In mosts cases, you should not, unless you're 100% sure that you possess the OEM Restore CD (different from a OEM Recovery CD).

Having said that, please contact the OEM support for more accurate information in this regard.

--

Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com"

2. And for C:\SWAetup:

I think this will popup again, again and again anytime you upgrade/update the software. Unless it too big, I wouldn't bother to delete it but may delete old files in it.

Regards,

BH

BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bimmerdriver
Message 3 of 3 (14,514 Views)

Re: Can I remove c:/system.sav and c:/SWSetup after Windows 7 Restoration

Thanks for the reply. There were some other folders and files that appeared to be a result of the setup process not cleaning up after itself. I deleted them (but did not empty the trash) and rebooted. None were recreated and there weren't any error messages. So far so good.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation