BSOD on shut down compaq 6910p (590 Views)
Occasional Visitor
robert grlic
Message 1 of 8 (590 Views)

BSOD on shut down compaq 6910p

I'm getting every time BSOD when I go to shut down my HP laptop compaq 6910p. I tried updating BIOS, drivers and using chkdsk but doesn't work. It happends 100% of the time but only when I'm shutting down. My win XP is set with group plicies from my work. Does any one have a solution?
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 2 of 8 (590 Views)

Re: BSOD on shut down compaq 6910p

Robert...

Try "cleansing" your registry with a free download of Eusing's registry cleaner. First, find the registry file and make a backup copy of it. You can do this easily by making a copy of it and then re-pasting it back into the same folder.
Occasional Visitor
robert grlic
Message 3 of 8 (590 Views)

I tried today to re-install SP3 but no luck ,still getting BSOD on shut down. I took your advice and did registry clean-up with Eusing ...it did a too good of a clean-up because now I get pop-up: HP protect tools Security module: ressource file not found and pds runtime application ressource file not found.

I get STOP: 0x0000008E( 0xc000005, 0x806373fd, 0xf640da90). Even if my profile is on "roaming" or "local" I get this BSOD.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 4 of 8 (590 Views)

Robert...

Eusing may have actually done the right thing by causing what you now see as an additional problem. That *may* have been the problem application(s) leading to the BSOD. Some things appear not to have been installed or operating correctly. This is what I was looking for.

I'm not that familiar with HP ProtectTools, though. reinstalling it now will probably correct the problem.

Dennis...

Say thanks with HP points, please. :-)
Occasional Visitor
robert grlic
Message 5 of 8 (590 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your help. The problem was resolved by IT at my job. They first swapped my memory (1 Gb) to see if bad memory was involved but that didn't make any difference. So the IT tech decided to log into my laptop using his profile and it was working, no more BSOD during shut down. Other IT tech tried it also and all was fine. So if they could log in using their profile and the laptop was shutting down fine...so it was clear to them that my profile was responsible for bsod.

The conclusion was that when Windows was shutting down, it was not able for some reason to write/access my personal settings. So the re-imaged my PC(new windows installation). Once you log in, the server will retrieve your profile and copy it on the PC. In my case, even if I was not connected to the internet or local server, my local profile on my HD was corrupted. I don't think it was HD issue because no bad sectors and using another stick of memory didn't do nothing.

Once again thanks DEnnis for replying. I know BSOD are once of the hardest thing to troubleshoot.

Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 6 of 8 (590 Views)

Robert...

Ah, we both learned something form this.

We may have been on the right track after all, although I can't claim that. Your ProtectTools installation may have been corrupt and it *may* have been linked to your profile.

Did you reinstall it prior to reinstalling Windows and rebuilding your profile?

Dennis...
Occasional Visitor
robert grlic
Message 7 of 8 (590 Views)

Hi Dennis!

Actually, the first thing I tried b4 calling IT was to re-install HP tools(downloaded on HPs web site)...but during installation it ask me to install HP security manager 4.0 (I never found it...). So I abandoned at that point! This is when I called IT. I don't really understand the relation between BSOD and potential profile corruption. I also don't know if I could have fix it instead of re-imaging my laptop. But for IT guys...they rather re-image, re-install windows then spend hours on troubleshooting...much faster!

In any case, I'm no longer getting bsod during shut down...I guess that's all that matters ;)
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 8 of 8 (590 Views)

Robert...

I'm pleased that you're up and running again, even if neither of us are completely sure as to the specific causes of fault. :-)

You might wish to close this thread if you're done.

Dennis...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.