BIOS Update Issues - Probook 4530s (2733 Views)
Regular Visitor
SSbootch
Message 1 of 6 (2,733 Views)

BIOS Update Issues - Probook 4530s

I've read numerous posts on BIOS update issues but none seem to work. I'm at F02 and trying to go to F30. Yeah, it's a big jump but I've had this problem for a long time. I've tried going to F07 and others thinking it is too big of a jump but that didn't work. The automatic update tool doesn't do anything, just reboots without changing it. The USB Boot option fails to create a working USB Boot disk. The BIOS update option in the F10 menu is grayed out so that isn't an option either. 

I'm wondering if this has to do with my "MACHINE NOT IN COMMITTED STATE" error that pops up everytime since I bought the laptop and formatted the harddrive to get the crapware off it. No new MoBo or anything, just a clean Win 7 Pro install. 

Are these two issues linked? ie., can I not update the BIOS because the machine isn't in committed state? 

I've also researched the Committed State error and nothing has worked. All links to these download tools that supposedly correct it are outdated and broken. My system has been having issues and I believe a BIOS update would solve most of them. The Committed State error hasn't bugged me until I've decided it is preventing me from updating the BIOS, though I'm not certain they are correlated. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 2 of 6 (2,707 Views)

Re: BIOS Update Issues - Probook 4530s

[ Edited ]

BIOS updates are performed by the HP_TOOLS partition, which you may have deleted, so F10 will not work.  Otherwise, you download the update (now at F.40) & execute the update from within Windows which will force a reboot & then perform the update.  This method also requires the HP_TOOLS partition.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

See if this tool will restore the needed partition:  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

BTW, F.30 had a bug & would not update in the usual manner.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Regular Visitor
SSbootch
Message 3 of 6 (2,676 Views)

Thank you for your response, sorry but I have been too busy and didn't get to try your suggestions until today. First off, I do still have the Tools partition. 

Installing that BIOS UEFI allowed me to be able to check the box next to "update BIOS" in the F10 menu. 

Bad thing is that it didn't allow any updates still. I tried the auto update and it rebooted without changing it. I tried the USB key again and it still won't boot from it. 

Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 4 of 6 (2,666 Views)

[ Edited ]

Download F.40 & double-click the exe file from Windows.  Follow the on-screen instructions.  F.30 will not update properly.

Double-clicking the exe file will put the needed update files in the required folders on the Tools Partition.  I have never tried the USB key for updating.

In the HP_TOOLS partition, there should be folders:

BIOS\Current

BIOS\New

BIOS\Previous

If no files are in BIOS\New, it won't update or has successfully performed the update.

BIOSUpdate folder contains the actual BIOS files; see what the HpBiosUpdate.log file says.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Occasional Contributor
brutusX1
Message 5 of 6 (2,656 Views)

I had a simular problem with my Probook. Am I suppose to have this hp_tool-partition to use a USB-key? Thats just stupid.

I had a blank drive in my machine so I had no way to run the updater from windows, but used several days to try to get the USB-solution to work.

I don't know what I did wrong, but the HPQFLash-tool is not working the way it is intended.

However i managed to get a hold of another drive that already had windows installed, and had boot from this drive and then run the updater from windows.

All updates newer than F22 gave me errors, so I had to stick with that one.

Regular Visitor
SSbootch
Message 6 of 6 (2,622 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to install the F40 update from Windows. It does populate the BIOSupdate folder on the HP_Tools partition but when the PC reboots to do the "installation" it just boots as normal and doesn't update. 

I checked BIOS settings again and even reset the BIOS security just in case. The BIOS update upon restart box is checked but it doesn't ever seem to activate it.

I guess I'm just stuck with version 02. 

Side note, I tried finding the HPBiosupdate.log file and I could not. Doing a full system search never turned it up. Manually checking the HP_Tools partition was unsuccessful too. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.