Re: 8540w Would freeze/blue screen while docked and lid closed when powering on. (3215 Views)
Occasional Advisor
dames
Message 26 of 30 (3,733 Views)

Re: 8540w Would freeze/blue screen while docked and lid closed when powering on.

That's very enlightening, Joseph. I would imagine that engineering a notebook is a whole different ball game than engineering a desktop. I could build you a desktop in my living room with ~$300 worth of parts. Notebooks however, aren't so simple. It's not like a notebook manufacturer can just OEM an ATX mobo from ASUS, stick whatever video card they want in a free PCIe slot and build a shell around it. Sure, there are many industry standards to be found in any notebook, but in so many ways, almost everything about a notebook is a custom job. It makes perfect sense therefore, that since a notebook engineer doesn't have the luxury of just snapping ready-made parts together, that they also don't really have that luxury with drivers either. So the best thing they can do, is take the driver framework and make it work with the technology that they had to design almost from scratch. As an engineer, I learned a long time ago that most things are made the way the are for a reason (unless it's an Apple product - there is absolutely no excuse for some of the crap they pull - but I digress). Spending some time "in the trenches" of solving design problems is a very sobering and humbling experience. Yes, the lock-ups were annoying, but I can't sit here and judge; especially after reading your explanation. I suppose I had to become an engineer to get out of the "anything that doesn't work perfectly all the time is crap" mentality. My 8540w isn't perfect, but that's ok because there's no such thing as a perfect product. But it's still a great laptop and I'm still very grateful to own such an excellent product.

(bklassen, just so we're clear, I'm not at all saying that you are being judgmental or have the aforementioned mentality. Your frustration is definitely warranted and your conjecture is quite reasonable, imo. I'm just speaking for myself here). :)

Occasional Visitor
Frankp
Message 27 of 30 (3,559 Views)

Re: 8540w Would freeze/blue screen while docked and lid closed when powering on.

I am having the booting problem but it is a little differnt and i have a different solution.

When I reboot I get a HP logo and a message saying "press ESC to continue..."  well you can not press esc from keyboard nor if I open the lid does that esc work.  I did find if i turn it all off and unplus the docking station then replug it in and turn it on everything works.

anyone else try this or have the logo??

Advisor
bklassen
Message 28 of 30 (3,521 Views)

So I'm back.  Crashes are happening far less but still are.  Looks like it is completely the blame of the graphics driver.  Here is my proof:

80iADAC9D323CA25CF0

So I am thinking that HP still needs to do some work on getting this thing nailed down so it plays nicely with the docking station using 2 external monitors and when it uses the laptop screen. 

So time to go back to monitoring the HP driver site for driver updates.

Occasional Advisor
dames
Message 29 of 30 (3,510 Views)

Do you have automatic windows updates turned on? Some vendors will push updated drivers into Microsoft's update packages. This has been known to cause headaches for manufacturers before. If so, you can check your driver version and make sure it's still the one that you got off of HP's site. Otherwise, idunno.
Occasional Visitor
Michiel
Message 30 of 30 (3,215 Views)

I also got a big problem , my EliteBook is doing some crazy stuff from time to time its screen just goes white or black and then i can't do anything anymore not even CTRL+ALT+DEL my ventilator starts to go freaky fast but its not overheating... what could it be? ( this is the second day i have this and its already happend like 7times.)

I own this laptop for about a week now and i even did system recovery till the day i got it and still it crashes whats going on? I hope you guys can help me.

Thx Michiel

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.