6930p - problems with standby mode (1436 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Patrick Roszczka
Message 1 of 9 (1,436 Views)

6930p - problems with standby mode

I need your help people. I have anoying problem with my 6930p. The problem is with recovering from stanby mode... Let me explain. I just installed Win XP pro. I`m turning it on, working a while, then after 5min its going to the standby mode. That`s ok, Im turning it on once again, doing smth. Then its going back to the standby mode. After few minutes I`m trying turn it back, all diodes are flashing (hard disk diode - amber) nothing happens, note is hanging. Display is black. Notebook doesn`t react on any key stroke. I can do one thing - turn it off... You admit its a little bit annoying. What`s cause of this? Its always happens whenever I`m using battery. When notebook is connected to the power supply it comes back from standby mode without problems. Any help will be appreciated.
Occasional Visitor
Matthias Bucheli
Message 2 of 9 (1,436 Views)

Re: 6930p - problems with standby mode

Hey

I have the same Problem. Could you slove the Problem?

Occasional Visitor
Patrick Roszczka
Message 3 of 9 (1,436 Views)

Unfortenly I`m still having the same issue and I have no idea how to solve it :-((( No one knows what`s going on.
Occasional Advisor
Trojany2k
Message 4 of 9 (1,436 Views)

Ok so you reinstalled WinXP Pro, and Im assuming you have completely update to windows XP service pack 3 and the remaining hotfixes after SP3 is installed. You may want to look for known issue with the standby mode and patches from HP in the download section for your PC. Typing in the search engine like google could also yield the results which you may be looking for. Also if you go into the control panel and click on the power options, under the power schemes tab down at standby change both to never but adjust your power saving options to your preferences. Also, click on the hibernate tab which should contain the check box for hibernation, if you are running intensive apps during the process of hibernation this could be causing the loss, due to the fact it is storing into your memory and without enough memory the system will not store the hibernating process and possibly just boot when you try turning it back on. Depending on the length of time your system is idle during hibernation and what your setting are at for power options could also be causing some of your symptoms, try playing/tweaking it to your liking and see if that helps.

Regards
Jason
Occasional Visitor
Patrick Roszczka
Message 5 of 9 (1,436 Views)

I don`t see any patches for my model, I have winxp + all updates along with sp3. It doesn`t change the situation. Tommorrow I`ll try to reinstall the system again. But telling the truth I doubt if it helps anyway. It looks like OS have problems with hard drive, or maybe there`s smth wrong with it. I didnt`t change settings in control panel--> power options earlier I used windows default schems. Because you suggest it, i changed settings a bit, turned hibernation and... it didn`t help :-( I`m pissed. Google is silent. Besides some suggestion on hp sup page in troboolshoot section hibernation, suspend etc like "use FN+F10 to turn your display on" I haven`t found any useful information. I guess I`m the only...em not quite, there`s another one person :-) struggling with described problem.
Occasional Visitor
Victor Caicedo
Message 6 of 9 (1,436 Views)

I have the same problem,

EliteBook 6930p

WinXP + SP3 + All patch

1) normal boot : ok
2) go to standy Fn + F3: ok (all leds blue)
3) wake up: ok (2 seconds to wakeup)
4) normal work :ok(5 minutes)
5) go to standby Fn + F3: ok (wireless and power led in flasing amber but go to sleep in a slow flashing blue system led)
5.1) 2 seconds after, automaticaly the machine boot loosing the standyby state and all my work

I try:
Networkcable: connected/disconnect
Wakeup on LAN: enabled / disable
TPM: enabled / disable
Occasional Advisor
Hojack
Message 7 of 9 (1,436 Views)

Try to uninstall the HP camera driver. That fixed the issue for me for a 2530p which has similar hardware.
Occasional Visitor
Victor Caicedo
Message 8 of 9 (1,436 Views)

Thanks Hojack but thisno solve the issue

finally i test with another Harddrive from a working machine (same model), and the problem continue, so i discard Software problems

then I
restore to the defaul settings my BIOS, unconfigure the intel AMT, remove all security features from the BIOS

remove the battery, connect to the power and conectect the battey againg

and the problem dissapear

conclusion: some configuration at the firmware level in the BIOS case the problem.
Occasional Visitor
danore_tk
Message 9 of 9 (1,124 Views)

[ Edited ]

Pardon me for gravedigging this thread, but I'd just like to note that this issue persists despite HP claiming that it was fixed in BIOS F.0E and newer, regardless of operating system.

Unfortunately, my computer's warranty conveniently expired last Saturday (ain't that just classic) so my report on this bug which I filed yesterday was rejected by HP Support.

I've tried resetting everything in much the same manner as Victor detailed above (except TPM as I'm running BitLocker), but it didn't resolve the problem completely. Wakeup from standby now works once per cold start, but if I put the computer in standby mode again without shutting it down inbetween, the screen will show but the system will immediately lock up completely, leaving the HDD LED turned off, the wireless LED amber (even though wireless should be on) and every key/trackpad unresponsive, leaving a cold reset as the only way to make the system work again.

I am, of course, running all the latest drivers for everything, as well as the latest BIOS at time of writing (F.1A).

Has anyone found which BIOS settings affect this problem or found some other bugfix (bugridden drivers?)

EDIT: One BIOS setting which does affect standby mode seems to be "TXT Technology". If it is deactivated, behavior is as described above. If I enable TXT Technology in BIOS, trying to wake the computer from standby mode will result in an immediate reboot. So it seems Intel AMT is quite severely broken on this model, and it seems to affect the machine whether enabled or not.

I definitely don't think this is something that should be dealt with by HP Premium support, since it is a design flaw that was claimed to have been fixed. But since my computer is out of warranty, regular support doesn't want to send my bug report further into the development teams. Anyone out there who can submit such a report on a 6930p which is covered by warranty, so the BIOS team will actually get the report and do something about it?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.