6715b changing cpu (442 Views)
Occasional Collector
Message 1 of 3 (442 Views)

6715b changing cpu

Hi all!

Couple of years ago my HP Compaq 6715b with dual-core 1.8 GHz AMD Turion X2 64 stopped working. After powerup boot did not start - only blank screen. LEDs and fan worked, but that's it.

CPU was changed to Turion single-core, 1.8GHz since then everything is perfect. Now I've purchased new Turion X2 64 2.0 GHz and... same problem. Switching CPU to Sempron - works, Turion - no.

Any ideas, what can cause such behavior of laptop?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas.

Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (408 Views)

Re: 6715b changing cpu

Hi

The most important thing is to check for voltage compatibility in the mobo for Turions. I don't know if your Semprons are exactly the same voltage of Turions. A BIOS update should take care of that, but you better double check....just in case.

Regards,

BH

BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Occasional Collector
Message 3 of 3 (403 Views)

Re: 6715b changing cpu

Thank you for your reply!

Mobo specs tells that both CPUs are fully supported. BIOS - latest available. Tried to regrade version - seems that it is prohibited :(

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.