2740p touchscreen phantom mouse clicks (4444 Views)
Visitor
Christopher Rath_1
Message 1 of 11 (4,444 Views)

2740p touchscreen phantom mouse clicks

I'm experiencing a problem where the 2740p touchscreen generates phantom mouse clicks; specifically, the mouse cursor moves randomly to the four corners of the screen, sometimes generating single clicks, and other times generating double-clicks.

The problem doesn't occur when the machine is first powered-on.  It startss to happen after about an hour.  It is especially liable to happen if I am using WLAN or WWAN.  Once the problem begins to occur, rebooting does not solve the problem; in fact, it reliably happens during the windows logon process.  See this video to observe the problem during logon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FyoIcYgPpA

In the video, you can see that the recycle bin even opens at the end due to a double-click being generated on the icon (that I keep in the lower-right of the desktop).

Here’s a discussion at TabletPCReview.com where other 2740p owners are having the same trouble: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-elitebooks/35298-hp-2740p-touchscreen-problem-multitouch-randomly...

I’ve been working with HP support on this for the past week.  Here’s what we’ve tried:

1. Reloaded the operating system (Windows 7 64bit) to factory defaults.
  2. Allowed Windows Update to load all mandatory and optional Windows patches.
  3. Loaded the HP SoftPaq utility and ensured that all HP software is current (including the firmware in the Wacom digitizer).
  4. Had a technician come to my office and replace the screen.

After all of that, the problem is still occurring.

Is this a common problem?  Have others found a way of solving it?

Occasional Visitor
homek
Message 2 of 11 (4,415 Views)

Re: 2740p touchscreen phantom mouse clicks

I had roughly the same issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0x90PYOcQ

but after the screen was replaced, the problem is gone.

Visitor
Christopher Rath_1
Message 3 of 11 (4,377 Views)

After several more interactions with various levels of HP support, I am now being told that this issue is being worked by an internal engineering team: they are attempting to identify the root cause and develop a fix.  In the mean time, I have been promised a replacement unit; however, that promise has now been made 3 times and I have yet to receive a new 2740p.

Occasional Visitor
robertouy
Message 4 of 11 (4,234 Views)

does anyone know if there is an update from HP on this?

Visitor
Christopher Rath_1
Message 5 of 11 (4,223 Views)

HP had me try a new version of the Wacom driver; but I was unabel to install it.  Note: I'm stil trying to obtain the new unit that customer relations has promised me.

If you are experiencing the problem, definitely call HP and spend the time working with them to get things fixed.  It's a lengthy and painful process; so, choose a day when you have several hours to spend on the phone.  One of the impediments I faced was that I kept running out of time with the agents.  After they have you try a fix, keep them on the phone while you test the unit; don't hang up.

The display swap does fix the problem for some 2740p owners; so, allow them to swap the display to see if it will fix your problem.

The first and second level technicians are not fluent in English, and so they will not fully understand the difference between theSynaptics touchpad (in front of the keybaord) and the 2740p's screen.  When they insist that you reinstall the Synaptics driver, go along with them the first time and then point subsequent requests to the fact that you've already tried that option.

Lastly, once you have a case number, you can see basic case details on HP's website: http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/mcm/homepageRequest.do    It is importatnt to check the details there.  In my case, I've found numerous errors in what the technicians wrote (e.g., they list me as running WinXP) and I have to keep addressing these points when I have further contact with HP.

Occasional Visitor
homek
Message 6 of 11 (4,110 Views)

On my computer the problem was fixed with screen replacement. However, after a month or so, the problem came back. Today I am going to have the screen replaced again by a technician. Also, the new screen flickers at low backlight.

Occasional Visitor
homek
Message 7 of 11 (4,084 Views)

On my 2740p the problem reappeared. Then the HP technician replaced the display again. The problem is now gone, but I was advised that if it comes back, the screen AND the motherboard should be replaced.

Visitor
Christopher Rath_1
Message 8 of 11 (3,841 Views)

Final update: I received a replacement 2740p a couple of days ago, and the new unit works perfectly.

Advisor
fanproblme
Message 9 of 11 (3,778 Views)

Go to Control Panel->Touch Settings.

Either turn off touch input, or enable double-tap mode. See if that works.

Occasional Visitor
SmileyMofo
Message 10 of 11 (3,043 Views)

I had this problem too, very frustrating, found this advisory from HP regarding the issue:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=... 

Although download links are broken, the latest version on the HP support site for the 2740P for WACOM Digitizer Pen (SPsp51266) has in its fixes section that it resolves this issue.

I have downloaded and installed and not experienced the issue yet!

Occasional Visitor
P_Tav
Message 11 of 11 (2,145 Views)

We have one of these. On error 1 it went to HP and had the mouse and motherboard changed. Came back and on error 2 we (with HP) updated BIOS / Changed drive from SATA connection to ACHP(?) and updated touch pad drivers. On error 3 an engineer came out and replaced the touchpad / and the "top plastics". We were told it was an overheating issue but as it happens when the machine is first turned on, that's unlikely. So now its on test and  I will be back in a few weeks.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.