2570P: RAID-0/cpu-upgrades/mSATA features (HP Expert Day) (2281 Views)
Occasional Advisor
buffalo_girl
Message 1 of 5 (2,281 Views)

2570P: RAID-0/cpu-upgrades/mSATA features (HP Expert Day)

Have a few questions about a HP Elitebook 2570P:

1. Does it's bios allows RAID-0 stripping across two identical 2.5" drives in the system? One in the primary drive bay and the other in an upgrade drive bay. I read that a 2560P's bios only supports RAID-1 (mirroring). So has the bios on a 2570P been updated to support RAID-0 for super fast disk access?

2. I understand a 2570P has a socketted CPU allowing a user to upgrade their CPU by swapping the factory supplied one with another. So if I were to upgrade the CPU, which ones would not void my factory warranty? eg:

- any of 35W dual-core ones specced for the system

- any 35W dual or quad core ones (eg: i7-3612QM)

Main point then: would installing a 45W i7-quad like a i7-3720QM void the warranty?

3. Is there any mSATA SSD support in a 2570P? I read a review on 51nb.com suggesting the WWAN slot doubles as a mSATA slot. I haven't seen that verified in any HP product documentation so can you confirm if this system has a mSATA sot.

Thank you

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 2 of 5 (2,277 Views)

Re: 2570P: RAID-0/cpu-upgrades/mSATA features (HP Expert Day)

let me try to answer your questions.

1. i do not believe hp supports raid 0 on these notebooks, but the chipset allows it. Now, if you want to set up a raid 0 volume, you will, obviously, have to replace the optical drive with a 2nd identical (or larger) drive. then, set the controller mode in the bios (hit f10 at power-on to enter bios setup mode)  to raid, from its defaul of ahci. the follow the instructions from intel at

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022648.htm

2. hp does NOT support replacing/upgrading of cpus in the field. warranty may become void if you do. You can order the 2570p with the following supported processors

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3520M (2.90 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*
  Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3360M (2.80 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*
  Up to 3.50 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3320M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*
  Up to 3.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*
  Up to 3.10 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

3. there is no mSata on the 2570p. It is a question of internal space. BTW, we fully support some SSD if you want best performance on the notebook, rather than going to the raid method. i highly recommend it

Hope this helps

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
buffalo_girl
Message 3 of 5 (2,275 Views)

Hey - thank you for the answers. With the RAID-0 capability, I did try to engage it on  a 2560P finding the bios only allowed RAID-1. Can you confirm then that RAID-0 capability has been enabled on a 2570P. Quite right, I had two identical harddisks. One was in the 2.5" drive bay and the other in a caddy placed in the upgrade bay replacing the optical drive.

Occasional Advisor
buffalo_girl
Message 4 of 5 (2,274 Views)

.. sorry - you said that mSATA support is a question of internal space.

I am not sure why then the WWAN slot wasn't doubled up as mSATA+WWAN as Lenovo do in the Thinkpad range. The pins used for both those interfaces do not clash so it can be accomodated. I find it unusual that HP hasn't figured this out. It would be very easy to add what, another 4 wires leading from the SATA lines of the I/O chip to the WWAN slot, alter the bios to support mSATA boot.

Same with a HP 2170P. Why didn't HP do a basic design addition to give it mSATA SSD+HDD capability? It would have been a great system then.

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 5 of 5 (2,269 Views)

You make a good point. Unfortunately, engineers always have to make compromises when designing a product. Things such as support, drivers, cooling, mix of components, supply chain issues, they all come into play. I am sorry the laptop does not meet all your wish lists

Also, did you know HP EliteBooks meet more than 10  Mil-Spec 810G tests for ruggedness?

I work for HP
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.