how to remove bios password on HP Elitebook 6930p ? (131402 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Syamand Rashid
Message 1 of 34 (131,402 Views)

how to remove bios password on HP Elitebook 6930p ?

hello ,
there is a bios adminstrator password on my HP Elitebook 6930p laptop , i removed the Battery on the motherboard but still asking for password and not let me start my machine .

please help
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 34 (131,138 Views)

Re: how to remove bios password on HP Elitebook 6930p ?

Hello:

Please refer to this thread about the problem. If you follow the outlined procedure and it doesn't work, then you will need a new motherboard or CMOS chip.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1426992

Paul
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Bernard Antony Peter
Message 3 of 34 (131,138 Views)

Hi Paul,
removing the CMOS battery will not reset the BIOS password in this model. Kindly let me know the user name listed when you attempt to enter BIOS. HP Sparekey has to be used (if enrolled).
If the user name is "BIOS Administrator" and the password is lost, and if the BIOS version is later than March 2008, contact HP to have it reset.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Syamand Rashid
Message 4 of 34 (131,138 Views)

Hello all , i removed the battery nothing happen ,
there is bios administrator id and another id seted up by the user what i do to reset it please help

Regards
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
chrishoneywell
Message 5 of 34 (125,076 Views)

I have the same issue however the primary domain user name and domain comes up. I tried the users domain password which did not work. I called HP and they told me they were not trained on bios password recovery I would have to take it to a HP service center. HP is sending me a new hard drive which is what started this whole issue. I have to install windows 7 (not a bad option) to bipass resetting the hard drive config to IDE from SATA in the bios. If are experiencing issues get a new hard drive and upgrade to windows 7.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
WIN7ISSUE
Message 6 of 34 (119,977 Views)

Hi

I have the same issue. It asks for the Administrator BIOS password.  Where could we get the password or how to reset?

Thanks for any help.

S

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 7 of 34 (119,955 Views)

Hi:

The 6930p uses the HP Sparekey method of password recovery. The owner sets a password and then completes hints to retrieve it in case it is lost.

They can also register the password with HP and upon providing proper proof of ownership, HP will provide the password the owner registered with HP.

So, if a person can't remember the password or the password hints, they can get it from HP.

If the password wasn't registered, or you are not the original owner, there is nothing you can do to retrieve the password, or clear it.

You will need a new motherboard, or you can strip the notebook for parts (except for the motherboard, which is useless as it is).

Info on HP Sparekey:

http://h30428.www3.hp.com/?fr_story=5e1166b098fab8fc1b2bec6c5d2044055e635b30&rf=sitemap

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mscdaddy
Message 8 of 34 (119,419 Views)

How do you go on then if you have a faulty hard drive and have to replace same? Can windows 7 go straight onto a new HD without any BIOS access issues? My laptop had Vista and I couldn't install XP over it (Microsoft consider it a retrograde step and install will not go ahead) I wiped my hard drive with "wipe disc" but then found that I could not access bios to recognize correct HD configuration for installing XP??? How do I proceed please? Any help to access this BIOS ???

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Warfare
Message 9 of 34 (109,935 Views)

I have the same issue with my Elitebook2540p  I set it up for my wife and I need to change the password.  I know the password but just can't change it.  It keeps asking me when the PC boots for it.

I event used the recovery partition to restore to factory settings and it still has that old user ID and the password still works.  The areas in BIOS are greyed out to reset the password... I really don't understand this....  I have been in IT for a long time and this is horrible design.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Warfare
Message 10 of 34 (109,868 Views)

Discovered the resolution:

to re-gain access to the system. If the BIOS user forgets their password ... go to F10 to remove and add the BIOS user again, Login using user... as Guest User and then reset Security to defaults.  Save and Exit.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Agung_AQUA
Message 11 of 34 (108,737 Views)

I have a same problem on my Elitebook 8440p, and i can't activated my WWAN Modem.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
technophil
Message 12 of 34 (108,516 Views)

There is a download program that works to boot up that will clear the bios password as do other fin things.

go to: http://hirensbootcd.org. Latest version is 15. All you have to do is to access boot menu to activate if made on cd or usb. 

There is a jumper on the mobo that clears the bios password. May want to locate the mobo info to find out which jumper it is.  

The cmos battery is for setting the time and date and if removed, the bios settings will be lost as well and needs to be reset.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Woonings
Message 13 of 34 (108,511 Views)

Forget it please, there is no jumper on the motherboard at all.

Alex

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mjacobson59
Message 14 of 34 (107,703 Views)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. This fixed my issue.
Blessings,
Mike
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Terroristu
Message 15 of 34 (105,333 Views)

and how exactly did you do it ? i have the same problem , administrator + 2 user account already created .

i can't modify boot order because bios is password protected . how did you solved it ? 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mr_Le_V
Message 16 of 34 (103,641 Views)

What solution did solve the issue for you ?

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
maryuss
Message 17 of 34 (101,100 Views)

hello, i have the same problem with my elitebook 8730w , i don't know my bios password, i tried with hiren`s bootcd 15.1 but don`t work and what tutorials i find on youtube was about hiren's bootcd 13, and i do what i have seen in that video but is not work the same :( how do you fix this problem?anyone succeed?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
AngelaTiongson
Message 18 of 34 (99,095 Views)

Hi there! Good day! Do you get an error code after three incorrect password are entered? If so check the link below for further instructions.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/hp-compaq-and-mini-bios-password-retrieval-for-forgotten-passwords/

Regards,

Angela

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ImBeng
Message 19 of 34 (97,093 Views)

I have 6730b, 8530W, 8530p, all have the same problem eventually, one at a time.

I have set the Bios Admin PW on all 3, setup the HP Protect Tools, and everything going well for a while.

Then the 6730b is having problem with the Bios Admin PW, the PW no longer work.

Tonight, 8530p Bios Admin disappear, I can't logon as Admin to Bios, and can't reset it.

Something is very wrong with HP Security Design, and Protect Tools somehow set the Bios Admin PW itself.

I have tried everything during the past 3 months on 6730b, nothing work.

If remove RTC Battery, MB backup PW will restore the Bios Admin PW, so you can never reset it.

I stop buying HP Products - Both retail domestic & business since 2008, may be you should.

Or you can walk in to pay 500 to replace the MB.

Please use plain text.
Collector
BlackTux
Message 20 of 34 (82,561 Views)

I have a Compaq 6530b and I had a similar issue, one of my users set the HP Protect Tools Security Manager up with his domain account. I had to login as an administrator, enable the Windows 7 Administrator account.

1. Open the "HP ProtectTools Security Manager for Administrators" application

2. Go to "Getting started"

3. Click on "Security Manager Setup"

4. Close the splash screen

5. Click "Next"

6. Uncheck the three boxes

7. Click confirm and close the box

Because one of the boxes is a Preboot Security setting that should clear the non administrator users from the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tapychan
Message 21 of 34 (78,563 Views)

forgot my bios administrator password for hp elitebook 6930p. please help
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
buffalo_girl
Message 22 of 34 (76,210 Views)

The procedure to remove the bios password on a HP Elitebook is explained at HP 8730w release BIOS password sharing process  where you need to use the HP CPQTAG utility to do it. Only other method is to swap the bios chip for one without a bios password. That can be hard to do since it's often soldered so may need to resort to getting a whole new systemboard.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
hpbnb2
Message 23 of 34 (76,201 Views)

Hi,

I work for HP.

The 6930p and all xx30 series notebooks require a process with HP Support engaged in order to reset an unknown BIOS Password.  For the xx30 series, USB devices must be enabled in the BIOS.  If this 6930p is in this configuration, please call HP Support and request the BIOS Password reset.

If USB devices are disabled in the BIOS, the only solution (for xx30 series notebooks) is system board replacement.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ali1214
Message 24 of 34 (58,543 Views)

I don't no my ID user

I need for my  HP  ID user  8560P

i will chenge my windows  but i don't no  ID user

ps  help me  thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sammistige
Message 25 of 34 (47,667 Views)

Re: how to remove bios password on HP Elitebook 6940p ?

LorealUSA

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation