Re: Wireless Button on Computer (126 Views)
Occasional Visitor
apoex001
Message 1 of 4 (172 Views)

Wireless Button on Computer

Problem:  When I push the wireless button on the computer to turn on wireless function, it will not turn on and continuously pops up message "Wireless is turned off!  The wireless devices on your computer are turned off.  To turn on the wireless devices, press the wireless button."  I press the wireless button again and the message will disappear; however, the wireless function still will not turn on (light stays red in the upper right hand corner of the wireless button).  Any suggestions to fix this will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 4 (138 Views)

Re: Wireless Button on Computer

What model laptop do you have?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
AJ_JJ
Message 3 of 4 (128 Views)

I am experiencing the same issue.  My Client's ProBook 4525s, # XX792EA, Windows 7 Pro (all updates), has a small orange lite on the WiFi key - and will not turn on the WiFi.  I opened Device Manager to learn that the only network adaptor is the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" of which I am not familiar with.

I've visited the HP driver download site, activated the automatic product detection, and ended up with a bunch of wifi adapters.  (sidebar:) When working with a Dell product I am able to automatically detect what device installed, and then load the correct driver...but can't seem to find such a function with HP's driver support page.

Bottom line is - 1)  does this unit require a seperate driver for WiFi?  2) is there an HP Support function that defines exactly which WiFi component/driver is needed?  3) am I overthinking this? :).

Just need help in finding and activating the appropriate WiFi driver...

Thanks

Rick

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (126 Views)

Hi, Rick:

The easiest way to find the driver you need is to post the hardware ID for the Network Controller device listed under the Other Devices category in the device manager. That would be the wireless card in need of a driver.

The only network adapters that show up under the Network Adapters section would be those with the drivers installed such as the wired Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller adapter you see listed.

If you don't know where to find the hardware ID, please use the guide at the link below.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation