Re: Probook 4720s Touchpad HELP (10654 Views)
Visitor
dspender
Message 1 of 16 (14,716 Views)

Probook 4720s Touchpad HELP

This touchpad is driving me crazy. I need some help taming it.

The entire touchpad including the buttons is used for moving the mouse cursor? How do change it so that when I click, I'm not accidentally moving my mouse somewhere else?

The multitouch scrolling is very hit or miss. Gimmicky would be the best way to describe it. Why implement a feature like this if it just doesn't work well. You fingers have to be in perfect allignment.

Not having separate buttons could be made to work, but its just implemented so poorly that I really wonder how anyone thought it would be a good idea.

Otherwise Probook is nice, but the touchpad is really quite awful.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
dspender
Message 2 of 16 (14,682 Views)

Re: Probook 4720s Touchpad HELP

Anyone, I really have no where else to turn... please help me.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 3 of 16 (14,672 Views)

Hi:

Perhaps a driver update will help by going directly to the Synaptics website and downloading their latest driver for the operating system you are running.

Then in the control panel under the mouse icon, you can configure your touchpad and mouse buttons to do some different things. For example on my nc8000 the touchpad wouldn't work until I downloaded the synaptics drivers and then went into the mouse options in the control panel and enabled "tap to click."

That is what I would try.

The link to the Synaptics website is here.

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

Paul

Please use plain text.
Visitor
dspender
Message 4 of 16 (14,279 Views)

Still have not found a solution for this.

Who on earth thought that having the mouse cursor move when you click a button is a good idea???

This is definitely the worst touchpad I've ever used. All I want is to exclude the button area from moving the mouse.

Everyone agrees with me:

http://h30441.www3.hp.com/8845/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-4145198/reviews.htm

Please use plain text.
Visitor
dspender
Message 5 of 16 (14,158 Views)

[ Edited ]

We just ordered a new round of laptops. Perhaps when this issue is solved, we can move back. But the touchpad is practically unusable if the cursor moves when you touch the mouse button. How can you accurately click on anything?

Interestingly, this is fixed in Linux. We put SLED on and didn't have the issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
popwarfour
Message 6 of 16 (12,389 Views)

[ Edited ]

I bought a DV6TSE with the synaptics clickpad 7.4

All they need is a little region selction, just like they already have in their settings menu for some other settings and apply it so i can make a f%$king dead zone over my god **bleep** left and right click keys.

you people need to test you products before you sell them!!!!! seriously you make an amazing computer and blow it on the simplest thing that essentully ruines the entire computer... I just bought this laptop and i'm extremely with the "clickpad"

and call to synaptics is about to go down ill let you know what i find out

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
popwarfour
Message 7 of 16 (12,386 Views)

just called synaptic tech support:

they admit, others have called about the same problem. They also admit that a dead zone over the keys is a simple and effective solution.

-They have sent a "error ticket" to the guys responsible for fixing these problems.

-The only reason for them not doing this in the first place / since is because they are to embarrassed to have created a integrated clickpad that just fails at integrating. And its to much of a "oh you accept defeat" deal for them at this point....

which blows so get your head out that deap dark **bleep** you call your office and update the driver please!

that is all
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
locok
Message 8 of 16 (12,263 Views)

Yeah this is a very frustrating problem! Synaptec and HP should really create an easy yes or no option to making the buttons a dead zone!

The only solution I found to it was to raise the dead zone limit as high as it goes. If you go to the Synaptics properties and click on the Palm Check Enhanced, then enable the Palm Check. Then for Advanced Filters, check both Check boxes on. Then under Starting Zone Size, raise the bottom edge of the green rectangle as high as you can. Then Apply changes. Now you will find that when you have your thumb on either of the click buttons, the touchpad ignores the button area. It's not the ideal solution but it's the best I could find. Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cnoblejr
Message 9 of 16 (10,654 Views)

I just cut a business card to fit over the keys.  It's "mickey mouse" but the thickness of the card is enough that the touchpad ignores any finger movement but it's still easy to click.

I tried to just enable tapping, but I can't get used to that -- even on the heaviest settings I still get random clicks.  Maybe my poor finger technique.

The other advantage of the card solution is that you can feel the edge & not have to look.

How about that! (and a dollar will get you a ride on a Chicago bus  -- as long as it is not a paper dollar.

C

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
youngpro
Message 10 of 16 (9,956 Views)

this touchpad really is a problem, i did alot of testing on the notebook but i didnt specially test the touchpad,

now that i have users using these notebooks they are having alot of problems,

is there any update on this issue?

i think the root cause is touchpad itself extends onto the buttons, so if a user touches a button, they can easily move the mouse in the process, and resultantly click on the wrong thing

Please use plain text.
iPC
Occasional Visitor
iPC
Message 11 of 16 (7,860 Views)

We're using Ubutnu 10.10 and we solved it as follows:

Create a Script and put it into the Startup:

#!/bin/bash
#
# list of synaptics device properties http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html#sect4
# list current synaptics device properties: xinput list-props '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"'
#
sleep 5 #added delay...
xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Enabled" 8 1
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 9 # Below width 1 finger touch, above width simulate 2 finger touch. - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 1 1 0 # vertical, horizontal, corner - values: 0=disable 1=enable
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 250 # stabilize 2 finger actions - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 1 0 # vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling - values: 0=disable 1=enable

Now you could use the touchpad with two fingers on it... no problems.

But... if i ever get this guy who designed this fxxxing touchpad........... no comment....

Culer

iPC

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
NMNI
Message 12 of 16 (7,023 Views)

this truely is the worst touch pad I have ever used

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MHallman
Message 13 of 16 (4,729 Views)

Agree with other on this forum - using 4720 Touchpad is a horrible customer experience.

We bought 44 of these laptops for our teachers.   Currently every teacher except two have disabled the touchpad and bought external mice.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ckh999
Message 14 of 16 (4,091 Views)

I have a 4520s. This is the worst touchpad I have ever used.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sagim
Message 15 of 16 (2,723 Views)

Hi all.

A bit late but I hope I can help someone.

The idea is to enable tap zones.

This way you don't need to press the left/right buttons but just tap them which don't move the cursor.

Here is the link with the techs:

http://anterence.blogspot.com/2010/07/enabling-tap-zones-in-synaptics.html

By default this ability is disabled and whoever designed it this way (HP/Synaptics) deserves the above inputs!

After the fix it's not that bad, at least for me.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
wymangroovin
Message 16 of 16 (2,104 Views)

Is it possible to run this script on start up without the machine being connected to a server.  I would LOVE to take advantage of your solution on a personal laptop and am not quite sure how to set this up.  I'm running windows 7.  Many thanks in advance!!!

I'm not sure who at HP thought this track pad was a good idea, but you've made a killer laptop miserable.  Please don't make me resort to duct taping the track pad.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation