PS/2 & Touchpad issue. (158 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Johno2011
Message 1 of 2 (158 Views)

PS/2 & Touchpad issue.

Hi

'Driver Scanner' suggested a 'PS/2 Compatible Mouse' Windows driver update from 5.1.2600.0 to 7.5.19.5.

I performed this update but the touchpad stopped working. During the update KB896243 was quoted.

I then updated the touchpad driver via the HP site (sp38455.exe) and the touchpad started working again.

During a subsequent boot my laptop produced a blue screen memory dump which has never happened before.

Concerned, I restored back to before the PS/2 update.

My NC6400 laptop runs XP(SP2).

Any suggestions here please?

Thanks

J

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Drew2011
Message 2 of 2 (130 Views)

Re: PS/2 & Touchpad issue.

Hello,

If performing a System Restore gets the function to work again, go with that. If you're wanting to update the driver, however, it would be advised to get it from the HP driver page (XP Pro link) rather than Windows Update http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1847704&...

Using one driver will avoid a driver conflict but if the device is working with the unit, there should not be a need to install an updated driver version unless you're having issues with the device being detected.

Best,

Drew

I am an HP employee.

Best,
Drew

I am a HP employee.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation