NC6220 wireless problem (7072 Views)
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 1 of 15 (7,072 Views)

NC6220 wireless problem

I can not get the built in wireless to work. I have the wireless assistant installed and the drivers. The wireless assistant says that the wireless is disabled and advices me to check the bios. I checked the bios and enabled the wireless (at least i think i have) but still not working .. help please?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 15 (7,047 Views)

Re: NC6220 wireless problem

Hi, Jordan:

Is the blue wireless light on at the front of your notebook?  If it is, then the card is detected and on. If it is not, then it is disabled in the BIOS or you have the wireless button turned off on that panel near the bottom of your screen.

If you did not hit the F10 key (save changes) when you enabled the wireless card in that device menu, it won't save the settings even if you hit the F10 key upon exiting the BIOS.

For starters check the wireless button. Go into your BIOS and just set the setup defaults and exit. The default setting for the wireless card is enabled.

If the light is on the card is detected. Make sure it shows as installed and enabled in your device manager.

You don't need the wireless assistant to use your wireless card. Windows XP has its own wireless manager. The wireless assistant is nice if you want to turn off your bluetooth and wireless cards if you are not using them but you can also use the wireless button on that panel for that function as well.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 3 of 15 (7,043 Views)

Hi,

Have you also checked "Device Manager"  under "Network adapters"? Can you see "Broadcom ...." or "Intel ...." in this section ? Just for your information: The nc6220 laptops have few options for their wireless cards and this is Optional

BH

BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 4 of 15 (7,026 Views)

The blue light works and i have set bios to default but still it is saying disabled in the wireless asistant. I am running on windows vista ultimate

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 5 of 15 (7,025 Views)

Also in device manager it is saying Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit ethernet

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 6 of 15 (7,006 Views)

Hi:

How many network adapters are showing in the device manager?  if only the Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit ethernet, your wireless card driver is not installed.  The Broadcom NetXtreme is your wired network adapter. You should also be seeing either an Intel PRO wireless network card or a Broadcom Wireless Card. The driver page only lists the Broadcom.  Are you showing any missing devices in your device manager? You should be.

Try installing this nc6220 Broadcom wireless driver for Windows Vista, and see it that fixes the problem.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 7 of 15 (7,004 Views)

Hi, Jordan:

If by chance, your notebook has the Intel wireless card, here are the drivers for it from the Intel website:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15798&lang=eng

Paul

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 8 of 15 (7,000 Views)

Tried both drivers but still not working. The broadcom drivers installed but is still not working and the Intel drivers say it can not find device that the drivers are for.

In device manager under other devices there is:

Network controller

PCI simple communications controller

And 2 unknown device

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 9 of 15 (6,993 Views)

Hi, Jordan:

Looks like you need to install the chipset driver amongst other things.

Chipset driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

TPM Driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

The item marked network controller is your missing wireless card. I am hoping the chipset driver finishes installing it. It may not work without the chipset driver. You may need to reinstall the Broadcom wireless driver in the above post after installing these two drivers

After you install these two drivers please post back and let us know what is still missing.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 10 of 15 (6,971 Views)

installed both the drivers you said to and the broadcom drivers again. Wireless is still not working and is still shown as network controller in other devices in device manager

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 11 of 15 (5,604 Views)

Hi, Jordan:

I don't get it. There are only 3 possible wireless cards that went into an nc6220. Two from Intel which you stated the driver didn't install because it couldn't find any hardware, and the one from Broadcom which you installed twice with negative results.

We need to identify the manufacturer of this network controller.

Try running this free program which may identify the missing link and we can find the right driver for it.

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-54-siw

If this program identifies the missing network controller, please post back and let us know what it is.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 12 of 15 (5,594 Views)

Installed the program and listed under network adapter were: 

WAN miniport (IKEv2)

WAN miniport (L2TP)

WAN miniport (Network monitor)

WAN miniport (IP)

WAN miniport (PPPOE)

WAN miniport (PPTP)

WAN miniport (SSTP)

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

RAS Async Adapter

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 13 of 15 (5,591 Views)

That is new to me!

Here is a different forum post on what may be the issue...I don't know what to tell you. You could rry reinstalling Vista and making sure the first driver you install afterward is the chipset driver.

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/944659.htm

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jordbcfc
Message 14 of 15 (5,590 Views)

Thanks for the help anyway paul. I Will try reinstalling vista and if it does not work i will post on the othe forum. Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 15 of 15 (5,588 Views)

You're welcome, Jordan:

That one has me buffaloed.

It would be real good to know exactly what wireless card you have in there but first install the broadcom wireless driver after you install the chipset and graphics drivers.

Good luck!

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation