Lost "setup" password for updating ARMARDA E500 BIOS laptop. (197 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sh-shoney
Message 1 of 5 (197 Views)
Accepted Solution

Lost "setup" password for updating ARMARDA E500 BIOS laptop.

I've an ancient ARMARDA E500 which works fine and dont want to lose it.  How can I get round the "SETUP PASSWORD"request when upgrading its bios file with the " SP20947.EXE" file downloaded from the HPCOMPAQ hepl page as I cant find my password?  This password is asked for in the DOS dialoge box when I try to execute the downloaded file. Any ideas anybody? Thanks. Chris Shone.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 2 of 5 (176 Views)

Re: Lost "setup" password for updating ARMARDA E500 BIOS laptop.

[ Edited ]

The old Armada series had what I name "a pseudo-security" system ;-):
The passwords were stored in a CMOS which lost its memory once the RTC-battery was disconnected.

Pls follow the steps outlined in my attached paper.

This will solve your problem as it did in hundreds of cases.

Regards

Rainald

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 3 of 5 (153 Views)

Anything new?
Could you cure the problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sh-shoney
Message 4 of 5 (146 Views)

Did what you said. On restart it wouldn't boot so I put the disc in the A drive that I'd made with the  sp20947.exe file on it and Bingo! I was into the set up with the old password gone.  Made my own p/w etc. and filled in the various bits and pieces in Setup and so I'm now much further on. This ancient machine has now turned into a battle of wills between me and it.  Still tricky to boot up, but I've changed the boot order so I can get to DOS with a startup disc and I've enabled "Multiboot" in Setup.  This thing is 15 years old so is the little RTC battery likely to need renewing? It does seem to keep track of time and date.  Also, do you know if I could get a dowload of the manual you referred me to.  This is nothing like the manual that comes with the machine.  Finally, thanks very much indeed.  There was no chance I'd have solved this on  my own.  Many thanks, Chris Shone, (even older than the machine!)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 5 of 5 (50 Views)

I'm sorry, but I missed your reply and only found a news right now, wenn clearing my machine ... :-(

1.) From waht you say it seems that the RTC-battery does its job ;-)
Although having some pieces belonging to the category "Hardware Antiques" ( an old Armada M700 f.e. ) I never ever had to look for a new RTC-battery.

2.) All of the Driver for the e500 are here:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?cc=us&cc=us&lang=en&lang=en&sp4ts.oid...

and the all of the still existing manuals are here:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=96231&...

Just select "View All"

Hope this helps I not, pls contat me again.

Regards
Prof. Dr. Rainald Taesler

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation