Hp compaq 6715b - radeon x1250 driver problems (1140 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Davis Ozols
Message 1 of 109 (1,140 Views)

Hp compaq 6715b - radeon x1250 driver problems

Hi

I'm having problems with my radeon x1250 video card. I cant seem to install any drivers post 6.14 version which is found in hp drivers page. whenever i try installing drivers i get an error report saying that the installation doesn't recognize my hardware or operating system.

I'm running windows xp professional 32 bit operating system.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 2 of 109 (1,140 Views)

Re: Hp compaq 6715b - radeon x1250 driver problems

Are you saying you had problem installing the SP36651 from the HP Drivers and software website?

The latest Driver Packaing Version is 9.391-070626a1-050583C-HP.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 3 of 109 (1,140 Views)

Sorry it should 8.391-.... and not 9.391-...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1517525
Message 4 of 109 (1,140 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. I've got a Compaq 6715b with the Radeon X1250 and can't update the driver.

I've tried getting drivers straight from the ATI website, but to no avail.

Please help!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 5 of 109 (1,140 Views)

From your SP36651 folder, there is an application called AtiCimUn for you to uninstall all the Registry Entries, Files, Folders and etc related to the AMD/ATI Graphics Driver and CCC.

Use this AtiCimUn to clean up anything related to ATI Graphics Driver issue and then reboot your system.

Re-apply this SP36651 for your Window XP system.

I am not quite sure why you want to download the generic ATI Graphics Driver for your notebook. Generic ATI Graphics Driver is for AIB ( Add-In-Board ) with Discrete Graphics Controller mostly.

Your Compaq 6715b is using a customized Graphics Driver specially built for HP.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1517525
Message 6 of 109 (1,140 Views)

OK, perhaps I'm not doing the right thing. I've been having problems with the computer freezing and going to a black screen. When the computer restarts, the microsoft error reporting software detects that it is an error with the graphics driver and directs me to a page that recommends that I download the most recent drivers. Not realising that I'm running a HP proprietary driver package, I tried to download the latest driver from ATI when the problem occured.

I've temporarily fixed the problem by turning off all graphics hardware acceleration - not ideal.

Please could you advise - is it just a case of downloading the latest driver package from HP (as mentioned above), or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 7 of 109 (1,140 Views)

Jeremy:

Many type of failures could produce computer freezing and black screen. Unfortunately, the Graphics Driver got blame for it and it is because the Graphics Driver is reponsible to display the image on your LCD panel.

First of all, try to get your System BIOS and Graphics Driver to the latest provided by HP for your notebook ( Compaq 6715b ).

Attached please find the my Compaq 6515b ( exact same motherboard as the Compaq 6715b ) with 14.1" LCD panel instead of 15.4".

System BIOS is F.07 - 07/16/2007
Driver Packaging Versuion is 8.391-... and I believe SP36651 on HP website will install this 8.391 for you.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1517525
Message 8 of 109 (1,140 Views)

Thanks for your help. I've installed the new bios software and the new graphics driver packages as you suggested. Installation went fine. Unfortunately, the problem is still not fixed.

I have managed to isolate the issue further: it always occurs when I'm scrolling through a document in Word using the mouse wheel. The screen freezes and the goes black and I have to re-boot. The last time this happened, Windows gave me a blue screen after a while and informed me that the problem seemed to be caused by the file 'ati2dvag'.

It's very frustrating, as I keep losing documents. The computer is only about 3 weeks old - hopefully you can help.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 9 of 109 (1,140 Views)

In order to assist HP to debug your problem, do the following;

1. Change mini dump to "Complete memory dump" in your Startup and Recovery option page inside the Advanced tab, Setting for Startup and Recovery of your System Properties window. ( see attached picture for more detail ).

2. Reboot your system.

3. When you encounter the Blue Screen failure next time, do a search of "MEMORY.DMP" and send this file to HP and request someone to figure out what components caused this Blue Screen.

4. Someone in HP should be able to isolate the potential root cause of your failure with this Memory.dmp file.

Since I am not trained to debug any Operating System failure, this is what I will do if I encounter any OS or Applications failure.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Anthony Mendoza
Message 10 of 109 (1,136 Views)

Im also running win xp pro 32 bit, on the HP COMPAQ 6715B.

I too cannot install anything past the 6.14 version of the ATI CATALYST, tried going to the ATI site,but I just get a message during installation saying that it cannot find components that can be installed on my current software or hardware-which is strange...coz its ATI! Tried omega drivers,that did install but my main concern is thatthe X1250 supposedly has a integrated UMA with which you can change the buffer to increase the memory on your graphics card. I have updated to 4gigs of ram.

Now there is no drop down menu for the UMA on the ATI CATALYST for the 6715b,rang HP Tech,though they not helpful. I've attached a pic of what I found on some forums on what I should have on my Catalyst. If anyone could post a link to an update of an ATI Catalyst/drivers that does work with the 6715b and has the UMA sub menu,I would appreciate that alot..cheers.

Oh almost forgot, nothing in the BIOS- HP stripped that pretty good!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jalind
Message 11 of 109 (911 Views)

I'm having the same problem with a 6515b and the ATi Radion Xpress X1250 graphics chipset. Issue is HP lagging behind ATi's updates to their drivers which have gone through at least one revision beyond what HP is providing. I have gotten several "blue screen" WinXP hardware "stop" errors when graphics software places a high demand on the graphics chipset. Unfortunately, I cannot read the blue "stop" screen as it appears for only a small fraction of a second before the machine reboots, and I cannot make any sense out of the "report" WinXP wants to send to Microsoft. Something is seriously amiss with HP's current drivers. I should *not* be getting a BSOD under any circumstances. At worst, frame rate should slow to snail pace or worse.

I also tried to download and install ATi's generic Catalyst drivers with the same result; will not install as it cannot recognize the chipset. I have also installed the latest HP drivers, including using the "cleaning" tool to clean out WinXP's system registry and driver libraries to no avail. A check of software revisions also showed I had started with the most current HP drivers as well. The "update" did nothing but reinstall what was already there in terms of version.

There's nothing wrong with the software. It has run perfectly on four other WinXP SP2 computers without any issues whatsoever and continues to do so on two of them (the other two machines no longer exist); no odd behavior, errors or BSODs. The only difference is nVidia graphics chipsets and drivers on the other machines -- and this includes working perfectly with nVidia 5700, 5900, 6600 and 6800 cards. Furthermore, it's not new software either -- it's been around for a few years and doesn't have a history or reputation for graphics "problems." Leads me to conclude something is wrong with the drivers or the ATi chipset -- hopefully it's just the drivers. I'd hate to think I'm dealing with flawed hardware embedded on a laptop motherboard.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michal Kluka
Message 12 of 109 (911 Views)

In company where I work we have about 25 6715b and they all suffer this problem: screen goes suddenly blank and computer hangs. You must hold on/off button to restart it. My observation confirms what has been already mentioned here: it happens when you play some multimedia (winamp, skype, ...) and in the same time you use mouse scroll wheel to scroll. It is completely random and it can't be trigerred at will. Unfortunatelly there is no memory dump, no event in event log. All drivers are up to date and we use XP. I must say that I am really disappointed with this hardware.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stefan Lukic
Message 13 of 109 (911 Views)

I am having the same problem with my laptop.
I managed to install the new ATI drivers with a little tweaking, there is no x1250 card in the spec file of the drivers so you have to edit some of the driver files.
But the new installation doesn't do anything.
Also i managed to pinpoint a possible cause of the problem, it is the ati2evxx.exe which runs in the background.
This laptop really has a problem with restarts.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Olav Fossgaard
Message 14 of 109 (911 Views)

I'm having the same problem (Vista 32-bit). The computer freezes randomly (black screen) 1-2 times per day, and has to be rebooted by pressing and holding the power button.

This has also happened when I was away from the computer, so it doesn't necessarily get triggered by the user's actions.

If anyone has some kind of fix for this, I'd love to hear it, even if it doesn't fix the root of the problem.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Massimo_Rosen
Message 15 of 109 (911 Views)

Rest assured, it's not you. IMHO this is a hardware design bug in the 6715x series of notebooks, and I'm close to returning half a dozen of them for that reason. For one, when the system switches off the display (for instance when you close the lid), every once in a while, the connection between the screen and the graphics card gets detached internally. You can tell this happened, because when you come back, all icons have been mangled, because inbetween the screen resolution has been switched to 640X480, as the graphics card no longer "saw" an attached monitor. You can also see this by a whole slew of Standard Monitor entries in the control panel.

Another related issue is that in about 10% of all cases when the screen gets switched off, most often when you close the LID, it will *not* switch on again. Sometimes, in very rare cases, closing and reopening the lid multiple times brings it back, but more often than not, only a reboot helps. Note that the Notebook is *not* hung when this happens, you just can't see anything.

As I said, this plagues all out of 6 6715X (two 6715b, and 4 6715s) notebooks I know, with different Windows Versions (some pre-installed by HP, some installed fresh by myself), so I'm very confident this is a general construction fault in these systems.

CU,
Massimo
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stefan Lukic
Message 16 of 109 (911 Views)

I think that HP should pay a little attention to their customers and by that I mean to pay attention to this forum where their customers post complaints.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stefan Lukic
Message 17 of 109 (911 Views)

Is someone from HP even going to read this messages?
I think that they are betraying consumers trust.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Anthony Mendoza
Message 18 of 109 (911 Views)

Doesnt look like HP reads the posts, probably their way of saying to us that they are really good at selling stuff,but if theres a problem post a comment...and let other people with similar problems lend a hand! I'm still waiting for an update and fix on this ATI x1250 Graphics Card...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
astroinfinity
Message 19 of 109 (911 Views)

I have had three 6715bs since I initially bought it july. First one was exchanged immediately after purchase, second one died unexpectedly and had motherboard replaced. Both times I wrote a letter to the hp support describing problems with black screens. Second time they run some tests and concluded nothing. The problems persist with every bios, version of windows and graphic driver.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jorge Salgado Fontcuber
Message 20 of 109 (911 Views)

I am running Windows Vista 64x, same Radeon X1250, getting from time to time a black screen while in the middle of doing something. Only way back turning off and on. The online tech guys suggest reinstalling OS, but for what i have read around, I hardly believe this will solve anything, as it seems a non OS related problem, since people with the same graphic card and same computer seem to have it in different versions of OS. Any help, HP?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stefan Lukic
Message 21 of 109 (899 Views)

@ Jorge Salgado Fontcuberta
Trust me, reinstalling the OS won't solve the problem.
I've tried almost all of the XPs and the Vistas and even tried 5 or 6 different Linux and it does not solve the problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
daniel turnbull
Message 22 of 109 (899 Views)

Hi, i have a 6715b running XP 32bit and had the same problem, i however managed to resolve the problem, try downloading the ati drivers for the 6515b instead (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3355651&...)

regads

Dan
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hans Christian Studstru
Message 23 of 109 (899 Views)

Hi all. I'm having the exact same graphics card related problems as reported above:

a) screen is 'for no reason' going black, and reboot via On/Off buttom needed to get back to work although PC probaly continues to work fine 'just' without display (this based on the audio feedback when playing around)

b) uncontrolled reboots, and the found web based error message after restart refering to ATI driver problems

My 6715b is running Win Vista 64-bit, so installing the adviced driver package (input 22 Feb 2008, thanks) doesn't work - it's for Win XP only.

I haven't made any formal contact to HP just yet, but for sure my brand new 6715b will go back if the problem isn't effectively solved (even though I got a very good price..!).
HP not responding to this thread on own support forum does not really call for optimism.

Good luck to all of us!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hans Christian Studstru
Message 24 of 109 (899 Views)

Latest: I've now been in contact with the Danish HP Service & Support, and - no problem!

Well, there is a problem, but this was recognized as a known problem to the guy handling the call; "We have a lot of these cases". I was requested to return my 6715b for service, and will receive a freight letter (paid 'way bill') to be able to ship it myself from nearest post office.

When asking if the support person knew what HP will do about the matter, I received the answer: "Probably replacing your graphics card". Getting a new PC was also mentioned - hopefully I'll keep my now fully configured, 'old' one or hope they'll swop hard drive into a new PC.

So - use the HP chain of command, and you'll probably get your problems with the graphics fixed. Good luck again.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
astroinfinity
Message 25 of 109 (899 Views)

The question is - are there any 6715bs lacking this fault? From what I've grasped of the situation people are still buying faulty machines. Is there a version that doesn't hang? I myself had 6715b exchanged 3 times, last time in September, each time I ended up with an unreliable machine. I hope they will recognize the problem and will be willing to exchange the motherboards for some revised version. Good luck to us all.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation