How to install a new hard drive on a HP Compaq nx7300 (P/N: RU453EA#ABF) with Windows XP Pro? (141 Views)
Occasional Visitor
EC75
Message 1 of 4 (141 Views)

How to install a new hard drive on a HP Compaq nx7300 (P/N: RU453EA#ABF) with Windows XP Pro?

Hello,

I bought 2 weeks ago a bargain HP Compaq nx 7300 P/N: RU453EA#ABF.

But the notebook had no HD. So, I bought a new one as to install Windows XP Pro.

During the installation of Windows XP Pro, at the very beginning, we are stopped because the HD is not recognized.

I think it is because a HD driver is not present.

So, I downloaded drivers available on HP website.

But the executable drivers file can not be installed on my another desktop PC. I have a hardware error message.

I search on the web that I should have to create a CD including XP Pro and drivers using NLITE. But in this way, how can I recover drivers files when it is impossible to get them with the executable file which only runs with a specific chipset?

Another solution would be to record drivers on a floppy disk and then install them via a floppy disk driver? But which solution is the best?

Nevertheless, is there any other good solution to solve my problem as I have no original cd of this notebook?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Eric

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: How to install a new hard drive on a HP Compaq nx7300 (P/N: RU453EA#ABF) with Windows XP Pro?

[ Edited ]

Hi, Eric:

Unzip and use the drivers I have attached below to slipstream using nLite.  Slipstream all of them.

Read this guide for doing the slipstream (Intel section).

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x000000...

Best regards,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald
Message 3 of 4 (109 Views)

Re: How to install a new hard drive on a HP Compaq nx7300 (P/N: RU453EA#ABF) with Windows XP Pro?

Hi,

Alternatively you can go into the bios and set 'sata native mode' to IDE.

This would also allow XP to detect your SATA drive.

Regards,

Ronald

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (105 Views)

Hi:

If you install XP by disabling the SATA Native Mode setting in the BIOS, please post back and I will provide the step by step instructions to install the AHCI driver after you installed XP in IDE mode.

Your notebook's hard drive will not perform at its best with the sata native mode disabled, and cannot take advantage of features such as native command queuing.

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation