How to disable SATA native in Phoenix BIOS permanently? (2341 Views)
Occasional Advisor
C551TU
Message 1 of 5 (2,341 Views)

How to disable SATA native in Phoenix BIOS permanently?

Hello,

Please show me how to disable SATA native in Phoenix BIOS permanently. I have pressed F10 to get into Phoenix BIOS on a Compag Presario C500. Then I disable SATA native, then press F10 to save changes. The computer then boot up sucessfully into IDE mode.

However, on the next startup, the BIOS comes back to SATA native. It doesn't remember my setting. So is there any other way to turn off SATA native completely?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (2,338 Views)

Re: How to disable SATA native in Phoenix BIOS permanently?

Hi:

May I ask why you want to disable SATA Native Mode permanently?

If you installed XP, by disabling the SATA Native Mode, you can load the SATA ACHI drivers post XP installation so you can use the better performing SATA Native Mode.

If you have the Intel 945 chipset, I can give you the instructions for doing this.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
C551TU
Message 3 of 5 (2,329 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Paul.
I installed fresh Windows XP 2 times. Each time I tested this after installing:
- 1st time: I downloaded a file from Intel's website, extracted them and got a bunch of files including iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf.
Then I used Update function in Device Manager to install SATA Controller. Yes, the computer could boot in SATA mode, but it would encounter a nasty ERROR (will describe later)

- 2nd time: I downloaded a .RAR from a tech forum. They said I had to put the iaStor.inf in the right place (done) and clicked their .reg file to inject registry entries to the system. All done! Yes, the computer could boot in SATA mode, but it would encounter a nasty ERROR (will describe later)

No matter which method I use to enable SATA, every time the computer starts, a few seconds after the Windows desktop and icons appear, the nasty ERROR will appear (I wish I had a camera to take a shot of the display to show here):

The computer freezes. It displays millions of bars, colors. The only thing I can do is pressing the Power button on the keyboard to turn off the computer and restart. I don't like to do this because tech guys said it would damage the computer if repeating too much.

A minor thing is that I can hibernate but everytime I resume the comp, BSOD displays.

In conclusion, iaStor.sys or SATA mode cause my computer to work unstably. I want to stay away from it because it costs me too much time, but disabling it is not easy too. :-(

I think maybe there is some thing wrong with the ICH7 driver. I use CPU-Z (a software) and it says my southbridge is ICH7-GHM (exact word). But Intel just offered ICH7-GBM driver in the past and now, Intel renames it to ICH7M/MDH (?). I don't know anything.

I like my Compaq laptop, but now I really hate Intel. They don't provide enough information about those chipset drivers, mainboard driver on their website. They just offer a search box with some search criteria, and users have to find drivers and try at their own risk! What are their risks? Loss of data, BSOD,...Not only me, many users on tech forums have SATA problems with Intel. If I have enough money, I will buy a new laptop with AMD chip.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (2,324 Views)

Hi:

Sorry to hear you can't get that to work.

You did everything I would have told you to do. 

I take it you installed the chipset driver first before attempting to install the ACHI drivers? 

That is essential to do that first.

I think you must be right about the download not having all of the SATA drivers included and it must be different enough to cause you those problems.  Are there more than one ICH7 driver you can choose from?

I don't understand why the PC BIOS changes though. You are saving the setting in both places right?  You hit the F10 key right where you disabled the SATA Native Mode setting and again when you exit (save settings and exit).

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
C551TU
Message 5 of 5 (2,318 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,
I did as you instructed: installing the chipset driver first, but the freezing error still appeared.

Yes, there are more than one ICH7 driver to choose when installing SATA Controller. That's depends on the version of the iaStor.inf. For example, I've tried version 5 (2006), 9.6 (2010) and the newest 10 (2010).
Each version uses different names. If version 5 lists:
ICH7 GBM SATA AHCI Controller
then version 9 and 10 list:
IC7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller;  ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

so I don' t see any ICH7GHM. However, the computer can still boot up if I choose ICH7 GBM SATA AHCI Controller with SATA Controller version 5 or IC7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller with version 9.6 and 10. The problem is the freezing error and sometimes BSODs when resuming from hibernation.

About the laptop's BIOS: when I hit F10 key, a message will appear saying something like: Choose Yes to Save. When I choose Yes to save, the computer restarts, so I can't choose Saving settings and exit. That means I cannot do both F10 and Saving settings. I tried both :robothappy: and nothing saved.

I even updating chipset drivers several times with several versions from 7 to 8.3, 10... but that doesn't help.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation