Re: HP compaq 6735s Brightness (5090 Views)
Frequent Visitor
eamonmc
Message 1 of 9 (5,518 Views)

HP compaq 6735s Brightness

On switching on laptop the brightness works fine but quickly drops to dull. The brightness buttons do work but even when at max the screen remains very dull. Is there anything I can do to resolve this.

Eamon

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 2 of 9 (5,492 Views)

Re: HP compaq 6735s Brightness

Sounds like the Ambient Light Sensor is enabled and auto-adjusting brightness according to ambient light levels.  There's probably a small white circle (dot) somewhere on the bezel around the LCD panel - this is the sensor.  If you shine a flashlight on it, you'll notice the display brightness changes if ALS is enabled.

You can disable the ALS in F10 Setup (BIOS).  On some laptops, there's also a <Fn> key to enable/disable ALS (on my 6930p, it's <Fn><F11>), but it's sometimes confusing trying to determine if ALS is actually enabled or disabled, so disabling it completely in BIOS is the best way to do it.

- nn6o

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
eamonmc
Message 3 of 9 (5,477 Views)

Thanks for your help but I have not been able to find the white dot or the ALS in bios so the problem remains unfortunately. Is there anythiing else I can try?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 4 of 9 (5,457 Views)

Sorry, I don't have a 6735s - I'm assuming there's an Ambient Light Sensor because it's mentioned as a BIOS option on page 102 in the 6735s Service and Maintenance Guide:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01613452/c01613452.pdf

Of course, the 6735s may not have an ALS as the BIOS reference may be a "generic" cut-n-paste for all HP BIOS options..  But the symptoms you're describing fit the operational headaches of an ALS.

- nn6o

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 5 of 9 (5,440 Views)

I don't think either 6535s/6735s is equipped with ALS hardware senor.

I am using a 6535s but I don't encounter the problem you had.

By the way, are you using the notebook in battery mode only or with AC Adapter with Battery pack installed?

You may want to try to install both the latest BIOS & HP/AMD Graphics Driver from the following url below;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3687622&...

The BIOS should be F.0E and the Graphics Driver should be 8.513.1.3

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MartB74
Message 6 of 9 (5,182 Views)

I've also had major problems with the display brightness since installing Windows 7 (x64 Home Premium)

In brief - there's no way to adjust the brightness - FN keys don't adjust, there's no slider in power options

I've downloaded all the updates from the product specific support page http://tinyurl.com/27r5wv9

latest ATI display driver

All the system updates for windows 7

Quick Launch buttons driver

I've also flashed latest BIOS

Nothing seems to solve this problem.  The screen brightness actually dims when you plug in AC power - the opposite of what you expect!

Sorry if this has been addressed already - I cant anything to explain this - any advice much appreciated

Best regards,

Martin

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Shane Roberts
Message 7 of 9 (5,147 Views)

Hi Eamon and Martin,

Have you tried this troubleshooting at HP?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Macarie Daniel
Message 8 of 9 (5,117 Views)

[ Edited ]

bios upgrade solves this problem ;) download it HERE ..very easy to install..just follow the steps. It offers you the possibility of making a backup of your current bios on a flash drive (it has to be formated FAT). After the installation is complete the laptop turns off and then back on (not like a restart), the screen is blank, caps lock light is flashing and after that the laptop restarts for the last time (this explication is for those who freak out). good luck and happy 64 bitting. Ah and SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MartB74
Message 9 of 9 (5,090 Views)

Hi Shane/ Macarie,

Thanks but yes tried all that - BIOS update does not solve the problem - I've updated to 68GPP Ver F.0E and the same problem persists

My only other option at the moment is clean install of Windows 7 - but I'd rather not waste time if theres another solution

Thanks

M

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation