Re: HP Probook 450 G1: Mediatek wireless continually drops connection (for Customer) (10693 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ianhadling
Message 1 of 40 (11,727 Views)

HP Probook 450 G1: Mediatek wireless continually drops connection (for Customer)

Hi

We recently sold a customer two HP Probook 450 G1 laptops, around two weeks.

They have been reporting wireless connections ever since.

One of these was simply dropping out and connecting every 10-15 seconds. The other was more stable, but was dropping out 3-6 times a day. Often this seemed to coincide with another 3-4 laptops in the office dropping out.

Previous to this, the wireless connections had been operating very reasonably, with only occasional problems.

Having previously had problems with HP Connection Manager, I tried uninstalling it on both machines. The first laptop, which was dropping out very frequently, now seems to connect for minutes, if not hours. The other laptop is still dropping out every 2-3 hours.

Office wireless access point is a netgear N150.

Previous laptop (a dell vostro) has been connecting reliably to work, home and various public wireless networks.

I want to log a call with HP, but cannot seem to find a web link.

Also, the last thing that I want to do is to try several possible solutions on the laptop of an already frustrated (sometimes quite irate) customer.

Does anyone have any hard facts about this, or any solid diagnosis method? I really don't want to look incompetent in front of a customer.

Cheers

Ian Hadlington

Digital Evolutions

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 2 of 40 (11,711 Views)

Re: HP Probook 450 G1: Mediatek wireless continually drops connection (for Customer)

[ Edited ]

Ian

You must first update your Router for the new WLAN card

http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/home/networking/wifi-routers/WNR1000.aspx#tab-supp...

Change your Windows Power Plan or create a new with highest performance

Install the new Bios

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405426&sp...

new Mediatek 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter Driver windows 8.1

Fixes an issue where the wireless module does not disconnect properly after the system is idle for more than 2 hours.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64825.exe

Mediatek Bluetooth Software Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64949.exe

for windows 7 and 8

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64950.exe

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
WillHH
Message 3 of 40 (11,661 Views)

Re: HP Probook 450 G1: Mediatek wireless continually drops connection (for Customer)

I have exactly same problem ... same product ... 2 weeks I've been frustrated witrh this ... I have tried all "remedies" that HP recommend to no avail. From various forums I note that this issue is common for Envy and Probook.

Same problem with or without anti-virus ... increased to max power settings .... updated BIOS ... updated drivers .... updated router software [Netgear N300] ... nothing worked ... tested on two different networks ... same problem ... seems wifi adapter only crashes when files are being downloaded .... 

This is soooo frusrating ... serious;y considering dumping HP [our whole office is run on HP PC and printers] for a brand that does not create such mind-numbing frustration ... 

please HELP.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 4 of 40 (11,656 Views)

WillHH

Your Windows Version 8 or 8.1?

For netgear you must update the Firmware

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/dgn2200.aspx#tab-support

Some Internet security and virus scanning programs behave that are not properly installed or blocked when installing the driver important parts.

First, remove antivirus application, Download Select the correct manufacturer and remove the software.

MS and MS Defender firewall can be disabled in the control panel.

Never use MS Defender and other antivirus software.

After successful system update, install this software

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stu-c
Message 5 of 40 (11,419 Views)

I have the same problem.  Have updated all drivers, which seemed to make the connection more stable, but a lot slower (downloading files at about 350Kb/s).  We are using a Netgear WNDAP360.  I changed the channel width of the wireless access point from Dynamic 20/40 MHz to 20Mhz only which has increased connection speed to 5Mb/s.  Am testing big downloads for stability now.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 6 of 40 (11,415 Views)

Stu-c

Please install the new WNDAP360 Firmware

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDAP360

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stu-c
Message 7 of 40 (11,409 Views)

I'm already on latest version WNDAP360_V2.1.7 Trying different wireless settings to pinpoint problem. Already tried fixing channel and channel width with no success.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stu-c
Message 8 of 40 (11,408 Views)

Completely removed security on the connection - still no change so back to wpa2-psk.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 9 of 40 (11,406 Views)

reboot the Router

Check your Radius settings

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDAP360_RM_03May2011.pdf

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stu-c
Message 10 of 40 (11,400 Views)

Using wpa2-PSK not WPA2-radius
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Stu-c
Message 11 of 40 (11,399 Views)

Contacting HP under warranty now to get the wireless card replaced. Quick search on this site shows that this is a common issue with the Mediatek MT7630E
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 12 of 40 (11,397 Views)

or replace the card Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

http://ark.intel.com/De/products/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

Please use plain text.
Collector
Xenth
Message 13 of 40 (10,710 Views)

The card drops connection for no reason, last time during driver download some 3 metres from really solid Airlive AP (brand new Probook 450 G1 Windows 8.1 Pro), no use pointing at router brands. I'm really disappointed. The machine was supposed to travel abroad, instead I must look for replacement. I hope HP will take a closer look at this issue - for now I think all machines with Mediatek card, not only HP branded are out of consideration in my future purchases. 

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 14 of 40 (10,706 Views)

xenth

The Mediatek card is not the fastest.

Please update your  Airlive AP  Firmware

http://www.airlive.com/support/firmware/AP60

Use the Tool for WLAN Monitoring

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Please use plain text.
Collector
Xenth
Message 15 of 40 (10,701 Views)

Thanks for a quick reply Toffy, but Airlive was just an example, G1 just dropped during YouTube at my home while I was writing this post on another machine.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 16 of 40 (10,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

xenth

Please Run Windows Update

An use the Windows Troubleshooting program

Change the Power Plan

For a test deactivate the Virusscanner and MS Defender

Test the last manufacturer driver  http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630/

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mansk
Message 17 of 40 (10,052 Views)

I have the same problem, wireless adapter always drops.
I have windows 8.1 and I tried all drives and windows updates.
I believe its problem with the driver or hardware problem.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 18 of 40 (10,045 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mansk

For this Card you must update your Router Firmware

Change the Power Plan to highest performance

For a test deactivate the Virusscanner and MS Defender

Install the manufacturer driver  http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630

or replace the card Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260,  faster WLAN and better Driver Support

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mediaduck
Message 19 of 40 (9,989 Views)

My advice: Stop wasting your time with this ridiculous wifi interface!

I bought a Probook 450 G1 last week. Build quality is fairly good for the price. But why HP is ruining this nice product by deploying useless wifi interfaces is beyond me. This isn't a new issue. Problems with Mediatek adapters have been reported in different web forums for more than a year .

I replaced the Mediatek card with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 card which is about 20 EUR. (Go for the slightly more expensive Wireless-AC 7260, if you need 802.11ac)

It only takes 5 Minutes to replace the cards (consult the service manual). Perfect wifi connection, no issues, runs out of the box.

I rather pay some little extra cash than sending back the whole device to finally get a new Mediatek card.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Human45
Message 20 of 40 (9,771 Views)

Just a Bios Update from with the latest bios version 2.7 from 2014-02-14 has solved this problem for me, information was given to me from the HP hotline.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
alina_swe
Message 21 of 40 (9,734 Views)

i have the same problem , have bay a nwe one and when i call to shope to reclam the problem they told me theat is the hp problem !!! so i dont know what to do becouse i allredy make the all instalation and i cheange the all windows and a loot of wireless but still the same problem !!!! my laptop he have just 1 months old 

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 22 of 40 (9,674 Views)

alina_swe

Update the BIOS and driver

Or call the local HP support for replacement

Please use plain text.
Visitor
alfyfouad
Message 23 of 40 (9,574 Views)

[ Edited ]

The only way to solve this problem is to change the wireless adapter .
I have the same problem with the mediatek wireless adapter on probook 450 g1
I try all drivers and I change the setting in the saving power options to make the wireless power adapter maximum power performance
I'll change the wireless adapter this week unfortunately we have no warranty for HP in our country  as i bought it 7 days ago ,so I have to pay to change the wireless card :(
its about 20 to 30 us dollars
I'll use the INTEL card , it is the best

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 24 of 40 (9,503 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

For those of you that have the Ralink/Mediatek wireless cards, HP has just released new Ralink/Mediatek Wireless and BT drivers on their FTP site.

One person stated that the new wireless driver has completely cleared up the dropped connections issue.

See this thread below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Mediatek-MT7630E-802-11bgn-Wi-Fi-Adap...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sogge
Message 25 of 40 (9,482 Views)

Hi everyone,

i bought an HP Probook 450 G1 and had the same issues with the Mediatek WiFi Adapter.

Today i called the HP Service Hotline and they send me an eMail with a link to the HP FTP Server, where i could download a beta driver. This fixed the issue for me!

Win87_WiFi_DTNB_HP_D-5.00.03.0_VA-5.00.03.0_W7-5.00.440_W8-5.00.44.0_W8Blue-0_RU-4.1.7.7_031014_5.0.44.0.zip 

Win87_Ralink_BT_DTNB_11.0.752.0_20140307_V1.0.30.0_FW_92359_LM_2.9.25.0_WHQL.zip

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation