Re: HP Elitepad 900 G1 - Windows 8.1 - three detailed troubles after updating to Windows 8.1 (3409 Views)
Visitor
Nagelfar
Message 26 of 56 (3,638 Views)

Re: HP Elitepad 900 G1 - Windows 8.1 - three detailed troubles after updating to Windows 8.1

I too am having issues with updating an ElitePad 900 to 8.1

Same issues as above. Everytime the tablet is coming out of sleep, the GMA stops responding and recovers. sometimes it's a prolonged black screen, sometimes it's grey static across the screen. even a few event id:41 kernel power failure too

The problem is also present on my Lenovo Tablet 2(i know, i know) which also features the z2760 SoC from Intel.

I've made a forum post on intel.com because I thought I should go directly to the source. They confirm that it is in fact the vendors who has to come with a fix.. Intel Support Thread

If you speed thing up a bit, perhaps you can beat Lenovo to it :)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
justregisterme
Message 27 of 56 (3,602 Views)

Re: HP Elitepad 900 G1 - Windows 8.1 - three detailed troubles after updating to Windows 8.1

hey guys, I have the same problems and one more terrible thing. I can't stop the alarm! Do you have this bug?

and what about video card driver error after sleep, is it have a solution?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 28 of 56 (3,580 Views)

Hi Nagelfar,

I read your thread at Intel's forum - thx for writing them! I also read the answer of the Intel guy.

It seems, like there is a principle problem with the communication or rather the responsibility between HP, Intel and Microsoft because two days ago I had another chat with the HP-support and this guy told me, that not HP is responsible for the GMA-issue, but Micorosoft. He said, we should contact MS for that issue... But on MS's support page I am not able to take contact with them, because they say that a OEM-version of Windows is not supported by MS?!? I don't know...
And Intel says, HP is responsible... So this case could take a long time, until HP or whoever will fix the existing issues I hink.

Also the guy at HP support said, if there is once a entry on HPs driver and support site to one specific product (Elitepad in our case) for Windows 8.1, it is supported and released for Win 8.1 - lol

@justregisterme:
Do you mean the alarm from the Microsoft "alarm"-app? I just tried it and set an alarm, I can stop it by cklicking on the long left beam which appears on the upper right corner when the alarm goes. When I click there, the alarm stopps and the app opens. Have you tried to reinstall this app?

@ALL:
I found another issue, what is maybe not related to the Elitepad but to Win 8.1:
I set the setting, that I have the same desktop-background picture at the Start-bar, like on desktop. Sometime it works, but sometimes it is a blank background in just one collor - anybody else has noticed that?

Thx,
Fab
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Nagelfar
Message 29 of 56 (3,569 Views)

Hi Elite..

Thanks a lot for the reply. My impression is also that noone want's to take responsibility in this case. And sure, if Windows 8.1 is listed on the support page of ElitePad 900 it must mean that 8.1 is supported.

FYI in this thread on spicyworks (which my HP-phone-support-guy directed me to) there is an actual HP-person taking responsibility(!). what cracks me up is this statement:

let me share that behind the scene one manager has shared that his IT staff has successfully installed 8.1 on their organization's ElitePads. However, his techs "didn't go the upgrade route." Instead 8.1 was installed from scratch. He will update me again as staff will try the upgrade route on a different ElitePad.

So.. does that mean that HP has only testet win8.1 from scratch without the update? shouldn't the GMA-error persist even so? well i don't know, but i really hope they are working their arses off making a solution :)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Marco77
Message 30 of 56 (3,568 Views)

Hi Fab,

have you checked it the external moitor with the docking works?

I have an Idea, everyone of us send back the elitepad to HP and ask money back.

I'm sure that Microsoft, Intel and HP will find a responsible.

Marco

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 31 of 56 (3,580 Views)

[ Edited ]

@nagelfar:

can you tell me, what "installing from scratch" means? I'm not a native English-speaker and the translator says something what doesn't make sense. Can you explain it to me in different words please?

@Marco:

I'm sorry Marco, haven't had enough time so far... I will check it tonight - I can give you an answer in about 5 hours.

The idea is nice but would not be very effective I think. Because WE are too few and nobody at HP would care. I recommend, that we continue calling HP and open support-tickets. They need to know, that there are problems. The guy I chatted with last time told me, that they do have an engineering team whose only job it is to test their products with upcoming operating systems. I asked him to inform them or to ask them but he rejected - I don't know why... We need contact information to this engineering team.

Greetings,

Fab

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Nagelfar
Message 32 of 56 (3,573 Views)

@Elite
As far as I can read.. They've only tested the ElitePad by installing windows 8.1 directly from a disk instead of upgrading via MS Store. But I may have misunderstood. Take a look at what Priscilla@HP is saying on the spiceworks-thread. She seems like the only HP Employee taking care of things :)
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 33 of 56 (3,562 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Macro,

replying to:

Friday

Hi all,

I have similar problem with driver video but also I can't connect an external monitor with the docking station.

It's seems an hardware problem because the pad didn't detect the monitor but it's strange because it's related to the W8.1 update.

Anyone else is experiencing this issue?

Marco

I just tested it with my Docking Station and connected a Samsung external monitor via HDMI (on both sides, no connector between). Short: It works.

Have you tried an other external monitor? Maybe your TV? But it is strange that it worked with Win 8 and doesn't' with Win 8.1?

I tried it with Expansion Jacket on and off and in both ways the display is mirrored to my external monitor.

Try it with other external HDMI-devices and tell us ;)

Greetings

Fab

Please use plain text.
Advisor
adeb007
Message 34 of 56 (3,519 Views)

"I found another issue, what is maybe not related to the Elitepad but to Win 8.1:
I set the setting, that I have the same desktop-background picture at the Start-bar, like on desktop. Sometime it works, but sometimes it is a blank background in just one collor - anybody else has noticed that?"

Same for me

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mvermeul
Message 35 of 56 (3,504 Views)

I have experienced something else with the combination of the Wifi hardware and the 3G module. After update Windows 8.1 and installed the latest drivers of WiFi (Qualcomm Atheros AR6000 driver 3.7.1.8) and 3G (Hs3120 HSDPA Mobile Broadband Module driver 6.3.9600.16384) but after an reboot when both adapters are loaded, WiFi will not automatically connect. Windows 8.1 cannot even find the adapter ( which is visible in devicemanagement and with no errors there). But when you manually disable the WiFi adapter and enable it again it comes up and connects. But you have to do this every time after a reboot. That is not how it should work. My workaround for now (after many hours finding it out) was if you don't use the 3G module alot just disabled it and WiFi comes up fine after reboot.

For HP support, please check this out. Gladly we only have three with 3G of the 200 pieces we are about to roll out.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Amed21
Message 36 of 56 (3,413 Views)

Sometimes my mobile board connection is giving limited connection fail always that reapet evry 5minutes or even why have anyidea about it

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 37 of 56 (3,409 Views)

please, make sure you update the firmware for the wwan card. many users miss those updates. The first one listed on the windows 8 download page ( http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5298030&spf_p... ) is correct, unless you have one of the other listed providers, like Orange, Vodafone, etc.

I would also make sure you run the October version of the HP ElitePad 900 Driver and Firmware Update (International) update

If you still have issues with your Windows 8 install after all updates, please open a case with HP Support

I work for HP
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 38 of 56 (3,374 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi soccer_dan,

thx for replying!

As I mentioned in my start-entry, my HSPA-module is running with the latest FW. I just checked this again an this is confirmed. 

Your second link leads to Elitepad FW-update in version 1.0.1.1 for Windows 8.0 - is this your recommendation to downgrade from current version 1.0.1.2 (Win 8.1) (this link) to version 1.0.1.1 (Win 8.0) or was it at mistake your hand to link to this version?

Trust me, I have tried pretty much everything what belongs to drivers from HP driver-site, but nothing fixes my issues. I hope, that anybody from HP is working on this currently. If you know colleagues at HP who are responsible for the Elitepad, may I ask you to take contact to them and tell them about this thread and the troubles we have?

Thank you so far!

Greetings,

Fab

Edit:

I forgot to mention, that I opened support-tickets and contacted HP by phone, mail and chat. Phone and chat did not lead to anything new and my mail-ticket is still waiting for an answer...

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 39 of 56 (3,215 Views)

Any news to this case?

This week I will try this:

- Restore factory settings to Elitepad (Recovery)

- Install HP softpaq DL Manager (HP support said, I must do this) and update all drivers

- after this I will install Win 8.1 Upgrade threw DVD (external DVD-drive required)

- hope for positiv results

If this will not work, I will clone my Elitepad SSD-drive (with existing recovery-partition) and make a fresh install of Win 8.1 from DVD.

I will post results.

Fab

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PLQ_1
Message 40 of 56 (3,161 Views)

Please use sp63851 to update your system drivers to correct the dim issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PLQ_1
Message 41 of 56 (3,159 Views)

Two updates:

1. Occurrence of 'Display driver not responding' message occurred after a MS KB release to support Win8.1 launch.  Intel is working to release a graphics driver that addresses the issue.   This driver should be available for users soon.

2. Dim display issue, please use sp63851, but you may experience issue #1, fix coming soon for that.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 42 of 56 (3,121 Views)

Hi PLQ_1,

thank you for your reply!

#1:
May I ask you a question? Where did you get this information from and do you know this for fact? Or is it something you are thinking about?

I just can speak for me and I know, that I installed sp63851 several times but nothing changed - thx anyway ;)

no fix jet

As I said, i recoverd my Elitepad completly to factory recover status (with original HP recover)
First thing I did is, I went to the device manager and guess what I saw there: a yellow exclamation mark to this device: "Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth UART Transport Driver". Today I took contact to HP support again and told them about it. First he gave me a link to the driver (which was installed already of corse threw HP Softpaq) and didn't change anything. After this he said, my BT device must be broken and tomorrow UPS will come and pick up my tablet to send it to Poland for repair... So I will update you! I was just wondering?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Marco77
Message 43 of 56 (3,103 Views)

Hi guys,

just a quick update on my issues.

The external monitor works if I use the USB to VGA adapter. So I'm thinking that my dock has broken...

Next week I'll contact HP and ask for the substitution.

I keep you updated.

Marco

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Nagelfar
Message 44 of 56 (3,084 Views)

1. Occurrence of 'Display driver not responding' message occurred after a MS KB release to support Win8.1 launch.  Intel is working to release a graphics driver that addresses the issue.   This driver should be available for users soon.

Sounds very promising.. I really hope there's some substance to that statement :) We still have users complaining about this issue

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 45 of 56 (2,924 Views)

## UPDATE ##

HI GUYS,

SHORT SUMMARIZE:

#issue 1) SOLVED: Intel GMA Graphic driver issue is solved threw the Windows Update (I think it came out Friday?) Now installed: 9.14.3.1176, driver-date 08.11.2013 (8 Nov. 13) - works fine, described issues are gone

#issue 2) CONSISTS

#issue 3) SOLVED: The BT device is no longer yellow at the device manager and can be activated at the settings threw charms bar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try to summarize the events which took place in the last few days:

1.) As I said, I had this issue with the Bluetooth-adapter and HP support offered to pick up my tablet and bring it to the repair-center. Please see my attachment!

2.) Yesterday my device came back and was restored to Recovery Windows 8.0 (happened threw HP-repair center). The BT-device now has installed all drivers correctly and at device manager everything is ok (no more yellow marks or something).

3.) I did nothing else then installing the HP Softpaq Manager and updated all drivers (no software, just drivers). Then I installed every Windows Update appeared - every! I opened the Windows Store and Update to Windows 8.1 automatically showed up there.

4.) Installed Windows 8.1 Upgrade threw Windows Store - Graphic and BT  works now(the new driver for the graphic card must have been installed by the 8.1 upgrade because I had no internet-connection after the first reboot but the current driver was installed already)!

Still present: The issue with the HSDPA-module, which must be a driver-problem because it works fine with Win 8.0. Still hope for new drivers for this device... So the thread cannot be marked completely solved yet.

To all guys with the yellow exclamation mark at the BT-device: CONTACT HP

Stay tuned and hopefully they will fix the HSDPA-issue soon...

Fab

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tedturner
Message 46 of 56 (2,749 Views)

add one more issue... just upgraded to 8.1 and now only have the left speaker working. it is playing mono,in other words, the "test" L/R  dings both come out of the left speaker only. nothing at all from the right side with any audio playing... reinstalled all drivers and firmware. no good

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Elite900
Message 47 of 56 (2,707 Views)

Hi tedturner,

thx for your reply!

I just tested my speakers, I have stereo sound - left and right. So your issue is not confirmed on my Elitepad 900 with 8.1.

Please tell me the driver-version and driver-date of your audio-device, so we can compare!

Greetings,

Fab

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tedturner
Message 48 of 56 (2,698 Views)

intel sst is 6.2.9200.34712

realtek I2S is 6.2.9400.3077

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tedturner
Message 49 of 56 (2,677 Views)

What I've done so far:

Tested headphones, both channels working.

Uninstalled Realtek I2S, removed drivers

Installed Realtek I2S drivers from Realtek website

Still only Left speaker audio, headphones L/R still working

Uninstalled and removed drivers for Intel SST and Realtek I2S

Installed Intel SST and Realtek I2S drivers from the Win8 version in SP62727

Still only Left speaker audio, now sound won't switch to headphones when they are plugged in

Reinstalling the entire SP64105 to restore everything back to the WIn8.1 firmware and drivers

Headphones not coming on now, sound only comes from Left speaker.

Great...

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tedturner
Message 50 of 56 (2,671 Views)

Ok, I'm on a mission...

SO, the deal with the headphones not switching turned out to be the Realtek I2S sound control panel, which I had installed earlier from the Realtek website. Looks like it does not work with the ALC5642 audio chipset . Too bad, as it promised to add some bass and treble controls, etc.

Anyway, back to the original problem of only Left speaker playing, and it gets worse..... 

Now that I took away the Realtek I2S sound control, which apparently was mixing the Left and Right channels together and making it seem as if both were coming from the Left speaker only, NOW, doing the speaker Test dings and the Speaker setup tests shows that only the Left channel and speaker is actually working, period.

Still the heaphones work, in stereo...

Weird. The even worse thing is that this is a brand new Elitepad 900 64MB with broadband that I literally took out of the box, charged up and immediately did the upgrade to 8.1. I didn't ever actually test it with Win8, in its original out of the box config to see if both speakers were ever working...

This is not a horribly big deal, since I don't often if ever use laptop speakers for anything except Lync or some other UC application.  But, having a bum speaker out of the box is disappointing.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation