HP Compaq nx9420 Keyboard with HP QLB driver problem (6959 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Jorge_Martins
Message 1 of 24 (6,959 Views)

HP Compaq nx9420 Keyboard with HP QLB driver problem

I have a HP Compaq nx 9420, running XP Professional. Due to a problem I've done a system recovery. After this I had problems installing "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB" - Everything goes well until a message saying that is was unable to install the driver - There's a fatal error.
The problem is after that I got no keyboard, so, I solve the question installing a regular keyboard, but with this the keyboard function keys (eg. light sensor, on screen display volume bar) don't work

Do anyone knows the solution for this?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

----------
PS: This thread has been moved to an appropriate category - Forums Moderator
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Arno Bosch
Message 2 of 24 (6,959 Views)

Re: HP Compaq nx9420 Keyboard with HP QLB driver problem

You should download the HP Quick Launch Buttons (QLB) software for your notebook model.
Then install it and the problem should be gone, because the driver you are mentioning is included in the software.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Jorge_Martins
Message 3 of 24 (6,959 Views)

The problem is that! I have allready done this. When installing the software it tries to install the HP Keyboard with QLB, but at the final there??s a message saiyng "There was an error during the device installation" - "Fatal error during installation" and the keyboard, on device manager appears as an unknow device!
To have a keyboard I have to install a regular keyboard on device manager, but with this my function keys (blue ones) on the keyboard and the volume bar don't work!
Please, see attached an image of the error. Beware the message is in Portuguese.

I keep waiting for the solution.

Many Thanks,

Jorge
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chris McDannold
Message 4 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I am seeing this as well after my HD crashed resuming from Hibernation. God, I hate this laptop.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Graeme Minto
Message 5 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I have a nx8220 with exactly the same problem. HP support keep telling me that these drivers are native and that they are automatically installed with the operating system. But they are not, at least in my case. I wish someone could please tell me the exact driver names that I need and where to get them. By the way I have SP3 installed on XP Pro.
NB Also the drivers are not in QLB v 6.3
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J. DeAngelo Jr
Message 6 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I have an NX6110 and I'm getting the same issue
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Glenn Gyle
Message 7 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I have a Compaq nx6110 with the identical issue facing me. I was talked, helpfully,through a solution by an HP advisor in the US of A. I downloaded and installed an update driver for QLB. That seemed to solve the initial problem. However, when I tried using 'stand by ' mode, I got the message stated by Jorge. This is clearly an issue which HP needs to look at and resolve. Glenn
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Jorge_Martins
Message 8 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I everyone,

I keep waiting for a solution, because I was chatting several times with HP technical support, and the only solution that came, was to format and reinstall everything again!!

Of, course I donâ t want to do this because the notebook is running perfectly.

Cheers,

Jorge
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chris McDannold
Message 9 of 24 (6,959 Views)

Trust me, the reformat and reinstall option does NOT work. Been there; done that.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ivo Alves
Message 10 of 24 (6,959 Views)

I've detected that this problem occurs when you use "system recover" only! Either the 1 or the 2 option in Windows XP Pro SP3!? I've done the 2 option, thought!
Even if we try to install it manually, for ex, where the "HP Quick Launch Buttons" are located. It doesn't assume the version 1.0.0.1 that its suppose to!!

Jorge, have you tried to use the "chkdsk /f /r" option in the 1 recovery?

Regards,

Ivo
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Jorge_Martins
Message 11 of 24 (6,368 Views)

Thanks Ivo,

I never used "system recover"!

That problem happened without doing this.

Does anyone knows the solution?

Thanks,

Jorge
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ivo Alves
Message 12 of 24 (6,368 Views)

But you told; quote:"Due to a problem I've done a system recovery."
Do you mean the "system restore"??

Did you try to apply Service Pack 3?

Regards,

Ivo Alves
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Jorge_Martins
Message 13 of 24 (6,368 Views)

Ivo, sorry for my bad English,
I made a recovery of Windows XP, in my case with SP1.
After that installed SP2 and SP3 recently.

Regards,

Jorge Martins
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Richang Zhang
Message 14 of 24 (6,368 Views)

Finally I found so many people were having the same annoying problem! I'm running XP SP3, while upgrading QLB with SP43616, it prompts me for i8042prt.sys on the SP3 CD, which I don't have, so I just gave it the first i8042prt.sys I could find, an then came the warnings of incompetible version... and the FN-F9, F10, F11 now stopped to functioning. Even HP support could not help me! I tried to manually installing the keyboard driver, but kept getting that error message just as you guys do!
I would be very glad if someone could find out a solution to this!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Titus Ngobe
Message 15 of 24 (6,368 Views)

I downloaded "REVO UNISNTALL", this is freeware. I used it to uninstall "HP Quick Launch Buttons"(QLB). Everything worked fine immediately. You can download the latest QLB at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43616.exe

Hope it helps

Titus
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Titus Ngobe
Message 16 of 24 (6,368 Views)

Hi Jorge

Try the following:
Get an external USB keyboard to get going. Uninstall the HP Quick Launch Buttons.
Install QLB drivers from "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41829.exe". If this link is not working, try the url: http://tinyurl.com/dxxbgp,
If the downloaded driver is still not working, uninstall the "Synaptics Touchpad Driver" get the latest one.

Good Luck
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew Sti
Message 17 of 24 (6,368 Views)

I had this issue after doing a OS repair on my 8530w. I would boot in and the keyboard and stuff would work find then it would come up with a fatal error when installing the driver. I would reboot then at the windows login screen I would press and key on the keyboard and it would lock the keyboard and mouse up. I would then have to manually shutdown and do Last known good configuration to be able to login again.

Here is my fix:
Go to Add/remove programs then remove both HP quicklaunch buttons and synaptics touchpad. Do NOT reboot after uninstalling. Now go to Device Manager then HID Devices uninstall Quicklaunch buttons. While in Device Manager go to Keyboards and remove the Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB. Now REBOOT.

Download the latest quicklaunch buttons and synaptic touchpad driver from the Support and Drivers section of the HP website and install them. You will have to reboot after the synaptic install. This fixed my problem. Took me hours to figure this out.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Denis Austin
Message 18 of 24 (6,368 Views)

Has anyone tried Matthew's fix. I have an HDX9004 with the same problems and am reluctant to fiddle with it until there is a proven fix. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew Demaree
Message 19 of 24 (6,368 Views)

I attempted Matt's fix:

Here is my fix: (added some notes)
Go to Add/remove programs then remove both HP quicklaunch buttons and synaptics touchpad. Do NOT reboot after uninstalling. Now go to Device Manager then HID Devices uninstall Quicklaunch buttons. While in Device Manager go to Keyboards and remove the Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB. Now REBOOT. (all this went well and where it showed an unknown device before now showed 101/102-key etc except after a reboot at this point the drivers went back to what they used to be. I attempted to repeat the process and 101/102 etc did not reappear.. so I continued with the suggested install..

Download the latest quicklaunch buttons and synaptic touchpad driver from the Support and Drivers section of the HP website and install them. You will have to reboot after the synaptic install. This fixed my problem. Took me hours to figure this out. (and so I have done all of this and rebooted this second time only to be greeted wtih the fatal message again) HP Support was of little or no help with this they just kept saying reinstall the software and dry boot the system. No joy. I'll attempt to install all the software once again and follow his steps as this has produced the most success finally showing the 101/102 up on the screen and will post the results once I find them. Aparently they are unaware this is a HUGE issue with these drivers and are unable to post JUST the drivers for this keyboard. I'm using this system for a universal image and this problem is now on a few other makes and models as well. Hopefully if I fix it here, it will fix the others once the sysprep and stuff is completed again. I'm also clearing all driver caches while doing this too.

Anyone else have stuff to add?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew Demaree
Message 20 of 24 (6,368 Views)

The way I fixed the problem....

Go to Add/remove programs then remove both HP quicklaunch buttons and synaptics touchpad. (if they are not installed then install them? then uninstall?) Do NOT reboot after uninstalling. Now go to Device Manager then HID Devices uninstall Quicklaunch buttons. (STOP) if you look you have all the drivers fixed at this point least with my system I'm running a 8730W touch pad works, qlbuttons work except for volume controls, who needs that anyhow.

So that leads me to belive that the problem is not with the device drivers themselves but with the quicklaunch buttons and synaptics touchpad SOFTWARE which is installed. Hopefully HP is reading this they can contact me for my resume if they would like.

Now on to my sysprep and push to 5 different makes/models. Dell/HP/Fujitsu Desktop/Laptop mix total of 8 systems. DELL: GX755 GX745 D620 D630 HP: 8730W and DC7900 Fujitsu: FI2020

I'll post results for that... it took some time to get these all to work but I think I have the correct drivers etc now especially since this problem is resolved WOHOO!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew Demaree
Message 21 of 24 (6,164 Views)

Image worked on the GX745 and GX755 but HP DC7900 and the Dell D620 & D630 still displayed the problem with the HP QLB. I'm attempting to push the image from the GX755 to the other computers involved in hopes it removes this option. It is possible that I can remove the device on the selected computers by removing the registry item {4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} (TouchPad) and {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da} (QLB) referenced in the INF files this might be another option for fixing the problems associated with the HP computers should my above fix does not work for you. If the device actually exisits it should repopulate for the HP 8730W or other HP computer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Andrey German
Message 22 of 24 (6,164 Views)

Guys somebody can help with this problem.
On my NX9420 with Win XP SP3 keyboard is not working even during re-boot (F9, F10) but USB keyboard is OK. I tryed to replace the keyboard but result the same, it looks like problem with motherboard? I bought it online and first day keyboard worked and I installed new touchpad software but next day keyboard stopped working only USB.
Thanks,
Andy
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Manfred Kainrath
Message 23 of 24 (6,164 Views)

@Andrey German:
Try the FIX from Matthew Sti from Dec 9, 2009.

Since last weekend I had the same problem with my HP dv6700 and Metthew's Fix solved it.

btw. Thank's to Metthew

In case of recovery it seems that the QLB software blocks the installing of the keyboard driver.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
notbert
Message 24 of 24 (4,581 Views)

Sometimes there is need to repair an winXP deployment.

Most times installed software took years of work and should not be lost by faulty HP software which comes with some HP computer.

At me it occured BSOD with same fatal error on hpqKbFiltr.sys when repairing winXPproSP3.

That is the 2nd repair -after eula, existing winXP installation found, (R)epair.

Same issue occures to me like all posters before:
HP-Quick_Launch_Buttons_sp46731 and Synaptics_Touchpad_Driver_sp44921
prevent OS-winXP from being repaired by the winXP-installation cd.

Such fatal error is a terrific annoyance:

Technical Information 0x7E
HpqkbFilter.sys

Looks like crappy software is facing to me

No virus attacks persist: WinXP runs as a clean system!

BIOS is updated into latest vF.0F -matched by sp41954 here on hp8710.
(sp41954==ROMPaq for HP Notebook System BIOS (68MAD) - FreeDOS Bootable Media )

Remarks:

Any uninstalling of QLB and Touchpad results in repopulating entries into registry and driver files: What the heck I'm unistalling for????

Nevertheless any notebook's builtin keyboard runs just without QLB!

Lots of threads complain about HP's fatal error on hpqKbFiltr.sys.

Querying Inet, HP provides not any remedy since issueing their incompatible QLB&Touchpad

Hopefully HP is reading this then they should publish their solution and contribute to each victim being troubled up by QLB!

As a remark to register:
Its a tedious affair spending hours to sign into some <hp passsport user registration> simply to complain about hp-software and to enquire hp for remedy.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation