HP Compaq 6910p screen resolution problem (2298 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Peter Untersmayr
Message 1 of 4 (2,298 Views)

HP Compaq 6910p screen resolution problem

Last July I have bought a HP Compaq 6910p laptop with a screen resolution of 1280x800. However the annoying thing with my laptop is it's inability to use this resolution instead the closest I can get is a 1024x768 resolution. After talking with the support line of HP I installed the following two service packs, which did not solve my problem:
- Service Pack for Intel 965GM Vista Graphic Drivers (Version 1244 WHQL/Softpaq num: SP35643)
- Service Pack for HPQFlash (Version F.17/Softpaq num: SP41747)

The interesting thing was that after the installation of the second service pack (HPQFlash) it worked again for some days and then the same problem again. Maybe one more thing: The first 6 months the screen resolution worked fine and then it suddenly changed (probably after a windows update).

Has anybody managed to get a fix to this problem?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 2 of 4 (2,298 Views)

Re: HP Compaq 6910p screen resolution problem

Peter...

Have you ever connected and operated an external VGA monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio on the VGA port?

I don't use Vista so I'm not sure if the procedures are the same, but look at your Display Settings and see what monitor is identified.

Control Panel > Display > Settings > Display > Advanced > Monitor > Monitor Type

Your system seems to believe that there's a monitor attached that has a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the correct 16:10. Find out why.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kiurcher
Message 3 of 4 (1,848 Views)

lol Little late on solving this issue but the answer to this question is:

Function Button (FN) + F4

HP provides a button to switch your screen to ON - OFF - ON w/Secondary monitor. Seems when it is set for dual mode the resolution drops to 1024 by 768.

DDBrunnenmeyer was correct in his assumption.   

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Justin91
Message 4 of 4 (620 Views)

Hi what the keyboard on the laptop doesn't allow you to use the keys is there another way of changing it back?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation