HP 8440p and 8450p Notebook with Docking station mulitple display issues (13864 Views)
pc1
Visitor
pc1
Message 1 of 9 (13,864 Views)

HP 8440p and 8450p Notebook with Docking station mulitple display issues

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Currently I am working with the 8440p and the 8450p notebooks along with the new docking station for them with two HP LCD monitors. As of right now everytime I set up dual monitors then I undock then redock the pc the settings revert back to a clone view on both LCD screens. I have updated the Intel graphics driver I have updated the BIOS. Also, I am working on XP OS. 

The docking station has been reconfigured and the design is different from privous models which perfectly fine with this type of configuration.

Please reply back if you have seen this type of issue or may have a fix for it.

Thank  You.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tapanui
Message 2 of 9 (13,279 Views)

Re: HP 8440p and 8450p Notebook with Docking station mulitple display issues

Hi there,

I can report I have EXACTLY the same issue. After undocking or standby, the laptop display refuses to be recognized as a second display and ONLY the external docked display works.

Undocking and it fires right up.

A similar issue occurs if the laptop display goes dark during a screen save, will not fire up either.

No fix identified yet.

Please use plain text.
pc1
Visitor
pc1
Message 3 of 9 (13,026 Views)

Re: HP 8440p and 8450p Notebook with Docking station multiple display issues

Thank you so much for your reply! Least I now know that it isn't my company's proprietary software or images that we use, and its more towards HP software and hardware.

Thanks again, if you find a solution please reply and I will do the same.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
J.Zaun
Message 4 of 9 (12,549 Views)

I can sympathize with you after suffering in the past with a 6910p with issues in XP and Vista. I am using Windows 7 with a 8440p currently, which is giving me no problems.

I can only recommend updating the HP Docking Station drivers, if you haven't already. If the display drivers and BIOS are up to date, then I'm not sure what else it could be. Of course, upgrading to Windows 7 could also be an improvement, but I don't know if that's an option for you.

Good luck!
Secret of Life is to enjoy your pain. Ouch, yes. OUCH, YES!
Please use plain text.
pc1
Visitor
pc1
Message 5 of 9 (11,838 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your advice. I couldn't find any Docking Station Drivers however I did find a new updated Video Driver that I am currently testing on one of my users.

here is this link provided it works for both the 8440 and 8540 notebooks.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

hopefully this works :)

I will post the results later.  

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
NickTrav
Message 6 of 9 (11,800 Views)

Any luck on this? I was following this thread. I have the exact same issue on multiple 8440P on Windows XP (and no we can't upgrade to 7). Glad to see it wasn't our company image here either.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
J.Zaun
Message 7 of 9 (11,793 Views)

Link to docking station drivers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Secret of Life is to enjoy your pain. Ouch, yes. OUCH, YES!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
StEddies
Message 8 of 9 (11,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

We're having the same problem here at our college.  We've got 80+ 8440p Notebooks with the same amount of compatible new docking stations connected up to either a monitor or a projector.  However, this problem isn't occuring on all docking stations.

I can't determine a pattern as to why this may be happening - some docking stations have different monitors and projectors attached to them and half of the notebooks are having this problem with only some docking stations.  Whereas, the other half of the notebooks work on these docking stations but faulting on others, even though they're all the same model notebook with the same OS image.  Doesn't make sense!

I've updated BIOS to the latest version.

I've updated the display drivers to the latest version.

I've installed the docking station drivers.

Still having the same problems.

Edit:  We're running Windows 7 on the notebooks.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
StEddies
Message 9 of 9 (11,235 Views)

Although this may not relate to you, OP, because you're running WinXP.  We had this issue resovled by installed some earlier drivers.

It appears the latest Windows 7 display drivers for this model are in fact incompatible with the video card.

Installing these drivers appears to have correct the issue:

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation