Re: HP 6930P Bios Administrator Password (15155 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Brandon D'Ercole
Message 1 of 28 (15,438 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 6930P Bios Administrator Password

Is there a way to reset the bios admin password if you have access to the bios? I have full access to the bios through an hp tools account and another created in the bios. There is no option to reset the bios admin password from another admin account. HP had me pull the battery under the keyboard to reset the bios but it did not work. I wanted to apply a firmware update but needed the bios admin password.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tomasz Puchalski
Message 2 of 28 (15,438 Views)

Re: HP 6930P Bios Administrator Password

Hello
I`ve got also problem with 6930p I made mistake during setting administrator password and now i cant use it anymore. You write that You use hp tools account - it is a build user?
Please help me with this.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tomasz Puchalski
Message 3 of 28 (15,492 Views)

I've already found a solution. I removed main battery and rtc battery for about 5 minute. after this time i connect external power and turn on the notebook. Notebook start in recovery mode all users password and cmos setting were reset. So all password were the same as username for example user: biosuser password:biosuser. I was able to enter bios and finally use my notebook
Tomek
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stephen Marki
Message 4 of 28 (15,492 Views)

Where exactly did you find the RTC battery? I am looking everywhere... Help...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brandon D'Ercole
Message 5 of 28 (15,492 Views)

The RTC battery is located under the keyboard. There are screws at the bottom of the laptop and tabs on the top of the keyboard that lock it in place. You may have to remove the wireless card to get to the battery.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Christoph Schultz
Message 6 of 28 (15,492 Views)

While searching for possible solutions, I stumbled upon this thread.
Disconnecting the RTC-battery didn't clear the password. When reconnecting the power/battery, the message "Bios Recovery (500)" appears, and nothing has changed, neither the settings nor the password.
Bios flash update isn't a solution either, as the password is needed before the update.
Would be great if someone's got a solution, where I don't have to change the mainboard.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Russell Jee
Message 7 of 28 (15,492 Views)

I have the same problem, althouh I have not set a password. I once set n boot options to boot the HDD forst, now I want to reinstall the OS but the machine needs a password before I change the boot order. I have tried teh disconnect RTC battery but to no avail. I wonder if it is somthing to do with eh protect tools.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brandon D'Ercole
Message 8 of 28 (15,492 Views)

There is a bios configuration utility within ProtectTools. You can modify any bios settings. You many need to download and install the module.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Russell Jee
Message 9 of 28 (15,492 Views)

Yeah, I have the Protect Tools BIOS config installed also, however there are no options within it. I read in the help section that if you are not a BIOS administrator this opting ma not be available. An HP ProtectTools user is not necessarily a BIOS administrator.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Muneeb Aslam
Message 10 of 28 (15,491 Views)

I have same issue.. well I installed bios administrator and it again asks for password and after 3 wrong retries,it goes to read only mode. :/
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kdchen_peter
Message 11 of 28 (15,155 Views)

Are there any way to solve reset bios password ?
Can only be sent back to hp original?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Zainulabidin Omar
Message 12 of 28 (15,155 Views)

Hi,

Could you try swith-on this notebook (on battery) until battery death. With this option, it would clear out CMOS catch.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kdchen_peter
Message 13 of 28 (15,155 Views)

Yes, I try it .
I use like Christoph Schultz way.

Disconnecting the RTC-battery. When reconnecting the power/battery, the message "Bios Recovery (500)" appears, and nothing has changed, neither the the password not reset.

so, any others ways?

I don't know how hp engineer to do it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Zainulabidin Omar
Message 14 of 28 (15,155 Views)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kdchen_peter
Message 15 of 28 (15,155 Views)

I have download and read it.
I read topic "Unknown user password" at page 51.
I follow up manual contents and operate it.
But, the bios password do not reset either.
so, How can I do?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Zainulabidin Omar
Message 16 of 28 (15,155 Views)

Hello,

Sorry, I have compaq 6910p but only set password for F10 key only. Not sure but from instruction no. 7 as below:
-
7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.
- might be you need to replace RTC with new one.

Regards,
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 17 of 28 (15,155 Views)

These steps should be taken to clear the BIOS password:

Unknown user password
If the computer you are servicing has an unknown user password, follow these steps to clear the password:

NOTE: These steps also clear CMOS.
1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in hibernation, turn the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.

2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.

3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.

4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 44).

5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (see RTC battery on page 66).

6. Wait approximately 5 minutes. (I would wait 15 minutes to be sure).

7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.

8. Connect AC power to the computer. DO NOT reinsert any batteries at this time.

9. Turn on the computer.
All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.

If that doesn't work then you are out of luck. The manual talks of a feature called HP Sparekey which asks 3 security questions for you to retrieve a lost password. That is new on the 6930p.

On older model laptops (nc6400, 6910p) there is a "stringent security" setting you can enable in the BIOS. If that option was set and you forgot your password, the motherboard has to be replaced. Following the procedure above will not clear the password.

Something tells me that if the sparekey feature is enabled (which it is by default) and someone set a BIOS password then they had to set up 3 answers to security questions. If you don't know them you don't get in.

See this video from HP on the feature...maybe it will help.

http://h30428.www3.hp.com/?fr_story=5e1166b098fab8fc1b2bec6c5d2044055e635b30&rf=bm&psn=notebooks_tab...

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kdchen_peter
Message 18 of 28 (15,155 Views)

I have to call at HP Service Center.
They said, The bios password be setted on the motherboard.
so,Replace the RTC battery will not be clear the password.
The correct way is replace a new motherbord.
is that true?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Vapor
Message 19 of 28 (15,155 Views)

I've also spoken to the tech support guys about this issue. They've informed me that disconnecting the RTC battery does not reset the CMOS passwords for the Elitebook 6930p.

Well done, HP. So secure that even a disconnection of the RTC battery won't allow a password reset.

The only way is to get one of their tech guys to help you with the password reset. Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
christopher mccoy
Message 20 of 28 (14,553 Views)

I have almost the same problem and none of that worked. These computers are surely secure!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gangsterwes
Message 21 of 28 (11,641 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ Paul Tikkanen

Thank you so much for this post.

let me higlight the following sentence :

On older model laptops (nc6400, 6910p) there is a "stringent security" setting you can enable in the BIOS. If that option was set and you forgot your password, the motherboard has to be replaced. Following the procedure above will not clear the password.

How am i sure that this Stringent Security is enabled in my BIOS ?

i'm fixing this laptop (Compaq 6910p) for a customer of mine. And i can't find a way to bypass or clear this password.

Anyone with suggestions, feel free to help out ! 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ramape
Message 22 of 28 (11,391 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi all 

with regards to accessing the bios on this HP laptop 6930p elitebook I too had the same trouble 

after trying every avenue on multiple posts across the world I decided to try my own method 

here is how I was able to finally gain access 

the laptop I was repairing was running windows vista but was completely locked out I couldn't even boot into windows as the password for the so and for protect tools was unknown 

I did the following 

1. Remove the laptop hdd and wipe it using a PC ( install it to the shut down PC, turn on, boot in, the os will ask you to either format the hdd before it can be used or you will have to locate it in disk management)  

2. Remove all hard drives that might contain info or windows installs from the said PC leaving just the laptop hard drive in

3. Start the install process of windows 7 on the PC 

4. Once the installation process of windows 7 has expanded all files to the laptop hdd and wants the first restart let it shut down the PC, turn off the power completely (for safety reason ofc) and remove the laptop hdd from the PC and replace it back into the laptop 

5. Turn the laptop on and quickly insert the win 7 install disc into the laptop DVD rom drive 

6. Now this is the good part, because you have installed the os to the first restart no drivers have been installed to the hdd tying it to the PC you started the process off on so the laptop will just resume the installation of windows 7 to the laptop 

7. Once all system drivers have been installed go to the HP website and download all the protect tools in the security section on the downloads page and install them, once installed you will be able to set a new bios password 

be warned though, removal of the original bios administrator password will still not be possible but you will have full access to the bios

on restarting the laptop if (F10) is pressed to access the bios you will see the new operator as well as the old administrator, select the new one, enter the password you set in protect tools and your in!!! 

one other thing is that because I didn't know the password for the administrator I can't use the biosconfigtool.exe that comes with the protect tools

well I hope this helps

good luck  

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 23 of 28 (11,373 Views)

Has anyone tried this procedure?

Method for a HP BIOS RECOVERY:

Prerequisite:
The BIOS recovery procedure requires a USB diskette drive and a formatted diskette.
USB pen ----> doesn't work

Download your BIOS ROM image from HP, please note the model 68xxx

Copy the bin file of the BIOS on the diskette. eg:68YHV.BIN and not ROM.BIN

Press the 4 arrow keys (up, down, right, left) on the keyboard and power ON.

Wait ~2, 3 seconds an release the keys.

Wait for the end of the process ( 2 minutes)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Dr_Ing_Sosa
Message 24 of 28 (11,346 Views)

Russell Jee wrote:
Yeah, I have the Protect Tools BIOS config installed also, however there are no options within it. I read in the help section that if you are not a BIOS administrator this opting ma not be available. An HP ProtectTools user is not necessarily a BIOS administrator.

How do you make a ProtectTools user BIOS administrator? In my case it is the oppostie, there is no BIOS password. If I enter the BIOS as guest I have full access. If I login to BIOS as ProtectTools user everything is disabled.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
reyesps
Message 25 of 28 (10,884 Views)

how to remove the Power-on Password for compaq 6715b

how to remove the Power-on Password for compaq 6715b

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation